Teach for America

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by miss tree, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 3, 2009

Well said! Thank you!

2. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2009

So, from what I've gathered, (aside from all the controversy) it seems that TofA is a supplement to a regular credentialing program?

Tell me about joining temporarily. Do they have a program for already credentialed teachers? Did you just attend workshops? Why did you decide not to continue?

3. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 4, 2009

A tiny percentage of TFA corps members have credentials. Unlike other corps members, they would not have an alternative license and would not be required to take classes at the university. However, they would still be required to attend TFA professional development.

Some people quit after their first year our midyear. It's pretty intense and the demands are high. You are not contractually bound to TFA, you are to the school district.

4. curiousinvestor

curiousinvestor Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

I was a trainer. I trained the corps members and mentored them. I attended their classes and gave guidance. The training they had was really great. Yes, it's only for a summer, but I think it rivaled my master's program, which cost $50,000. TFA summer training is free.

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 4, 2009

You were a CMA? That's great!

6. curiousinvestor

curiousinvestor Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

Yes, I was a CMA! (I didn't use the lingo above since it's TFA speak.) So I was one of the few outside hires (They called us external staff members.) It really was an incredible summer, but I had never worked harder in my life. I worked in the private sector for years too in what I had previously thought was an intense job. TFA took it to another level!. But it was a very memorable one, and I was reassured that the corps members were prepared to be successful.

Looking back, I think a major key is in the types of people they choose to be corps members -- they are highly motivated leaders. Give them a challenge, like teaching, and they'll do whatever it takes. I hope TFA continues to hire in this way.

7. japhyr

japhyr Rookie

Oct 11, 2009

As a corps member from the mid-90's in NYC, I'll share a brief perspective. The school I taught at went through 5 principals in 4 years. Teacher turnover was dishearteningly high. We took no positions from certified teachers; vacancies stayed open for months, because no certified teachers wanted to teach in our school. Many of the certified teachers at my school, and those in many schools I knew of, were only there until they could find a position in the more affluent suburbs where they lived. Many of these teachers were quite open about this to the rest of the staff, and even to students. It was pretty disrespectful, and pretty ugly.

I listen closely to the opinions of certified teachers who work in the same schools as TFA members. But I question the perspective of teachers who have never worked in a difficult-to-staff school.