Teach for America

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teacher304, Aug 6, 2010.

1. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 6, 2010

Does anyone know if a certified teacher can apply to TFA and work in a low-income/Title 1 school. What would the stipulations, would we need to complete another Master's Degree or go through their training institute if we have a teaching degree/certification.

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 6, 2010

I don't know, but...

Why would you want to do TFA if you are certified? I'm sure the district would rather directly hire a certified teacher over hiring a TFA teacher. TFA's are generally seen as doing 2-3 years and then going back to grad school or getting a different job. All of the TFA teachers I worked with quit teaching after two years. The only exception quit after three and then went to work in educational policy.

Now, TFA is very hard to get into. With the economy the way it is, many college graduates are putting off their job searches and applying to TFA. I read an article recently that talked about popular TFA is becoming at prestigious schools. I think the acceptance rate is less than 20%.

4. cristin11

cristin11 Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

I'm pretty sure you cannot enter TFA if you have taken more than 12 hours of education courses. I looked into it too, but was disappointed to learn that I was not eligible.

smurfette, in the area I'm in, we have a HUGE number of TFA teachers because they are cheap hires. Because those teachers are paid through TFA, districts who are having budget problems are scooping them up!

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 6, 2010

I had a friend get hired for a job in a school through TFA before any of the other teachers got hired. This is part of the reason TFA doesn't always have the best reputation among teachers.

6. teachnew

teachnew Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

I highly doubt it. I have many friends who did TFA and I was told that they rarely even accept anyone who is over 22-23... And even if you were accepted, I'm sure they would want you to go through institute to learn their methodology.

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I was told that certified teachers can do TFA, they just don't have to do as much at the institute as the non-certified teachers. Many times the positions that the TFA "teachers" fill in are reserved just for TFA so the school can't even try to hire a certified teacher for that position.