Teach counting in the oddest of circumstances

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Dan Yagci, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Dan Yagci

Dan Yagci Guest

Mar 15, 2020

I have no idea where else to ask a question like this. How would you teach the process of counting to a subconscious processor?

I'm a research assistant at a university. I'm trying to evidence the existence of certain subconscious decision-makers that can be interacted with. The best way that I can think to evidence their existence is to get one decision maker to perform a simple multi-step task that has one right answer, while the conscious person performs a different task. Counting was my first thought. To do that, though, first it has to learn how to count.

To simplify it, I have to distract the conscious person (i.e. Gary) while providing tasks and rewards to the subconscious decision maker (i.e. John). Gary can count. John cannot count. It's not even clear how much John can see, or what aspects of grouping and rules of counting John understands. If Gary isn't distracted while John is counting, Gary will count and John will cheat off of Gary. So how do I teach John to count?

Testing John afterwards is easy. It's the process of teaching that I'm struggling with. If these were kids that could not be separated, how would you teach John to count?