Teacch

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by ellen_a, Aug 2, 2004.

1. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Aug 2, 2004

Does anyone use TEACCH in their classrooms? I've been looking at work jobs all morning to get ideas for the coming school year (still don't know an age of functioning level for my classroom yet though) and was wondering if anyone could suggest some great resources. I've already seen all the workjobs at www.preschoolfun.com and have looked around the TEACCH website.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ellen A.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 2, 2004

Ellen-

Not resources per sea (although I can't wait to see what resources are out there!), but here are a couple of other baskets that we use at my school that I didn't see at first glance from the preschoolfun site (not to say they aren't there, but I didn't see them)...

Toothbrush holders/pencils (the long 2-piece tubes... pick up one side, put in pencil/toothbrush, put on other side, put in box)

Color match (colored popsicle sticks into tin can with matching color)

animal or sports magnets- match with outline of name

sight words/spelling words- file under correct letter in card file

easter eggs... assemble and place in egg carton

we have baskets for clothing, vegetables, fruits, etc and match object to picture/name

silverware... sorting or setting table (we have placemats with outlines for fork, knife, cup, spoon, napkin, and plate)

travel kits (small toothpaste tube, bottle of shampoo, comb in slide-lock bag)

puzzles

hope that helps you. :)

4. hoboken

hoboken Guest

Aug 2, 2004

I have used the TEACCH approach in my kindergarten classroom for the past 2 years. I often gave my students file folder games to complete. They were numbered (1-3) and when they were finished with each then they would place them in the basket. Since the activities were suppose to be independent I often gave a fine motor activity to complete (this was also fun for the student). The activities are suppose to be something the students have already learned during 1:1 teaching and they are just completing independent activities as an extension. Don't make it an activity that you will have to sit there and instruct.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 2, 2004

Another idea...

Pop blocks/links... make chains that match the picture

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 2, 2004

Where on preschoolfun are those things listed?

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 3, 2004

Lori, if you look under the "teacher resources" on their site map (site map is a link from the page Ellen linked), it's toward the bottom of the column. :) I had fun exploring their site... looks like they have a VERY extensive program! :)

8. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Aug 3, 2004

Here is a direct link to the workjobs page--they have a really extensive collection, which is nice. My school gave me a training packet with images included but they photocopied it to dark and all the work jobs look like black boxes, so I did some searching on my own. I printed most of the photos out to help inspire me once I get to VA.

http://www.preschoolfun.com/pages/teacch work jobs.htm

Ellen A.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 3, 2004

OH WOW!!!! Well, I have a lot to look at now and a lot of ideas running through my head... THANKS for the info!!!

Lori

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 3, 2004

ok... tell this blind bat where they are on the TEACCH site... LOL. You would think I'd have enough "know how" to find them... but gee I must be blind this week or something!

THANKS!!!! I love all of these ideas!!!!

Lori

11. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Aug 3, 2004

Here is another site I've looked around--I think these are the jobs my school provided for my inservice reading selection but photocopied too dark.

http://members.aol.com/Room5/welcome.html

This site has some really interesting links--I love the link to make the mouse house! Lots of ideas and suggestions for using TEACCH structured teaching as well.

Ellen A.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 3, 2004

Well now I have even MORE ideas! I have a lot of file folder games already... so this just adds to it!! My little ones should stay busy for sure! :)

THANKS!!
    Lori

13. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Aug 4, 2004

For people who DO use TEACCH, has anyone purchased any Shoebox Tasks (www.shoeboxtasks.com), and if so, any feedback on them? I'm not buying any as of yet but was wondering if anyone uses them; are they worth the cost? Some seem very easy to reproduce and some seem like they might be worth the investment.

Ellen A.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 4, 2004

Hey Ellen... http://www.hot-ideas.org/ that site has tasks kits for sale. I think I'll just stick with making mine... for now that will be the cheaper idea.

Lori

15. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 5, 2004

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 5, 2004

Ahhhhhhhhhh thanks for the heads up Ruth!! :) My aides are going to kill me for coming up with more stuff to find somewhere to store in my room... lol. we are lacking space as it is!

I just LOVE all of these ideas... like I said, I have a lot of stuff that I can make into these tasks... just don't have them set up that way... and thank goodness for digital cameras!! Just think of all of the picture sequencing we can do, too!!

Lori

17. cameron812

cameron812 Rookie

Aug 7, 2004

The TEACCH method of learning is vastly applicable. I supervise a home that facilitates high school age boys with ASD. One individual that was displaying over a thousand self abusive behaviors in a month quickly grasped the concept and the numbers quickly dwindled to less than one hundred in just a few months. The home environment is quite different, but the same philosophies and the basic mechanism applies in both locations. The other gentlemen took to it very well.

Summing it all up for the TEACCH method is just eliminating the guess-work by the learner, thusly easing transitions from task to task.