TEACCH

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by krisaustin, Sep 5, 2006.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 5, 2006

My school district suggested that I go to a workshop for TEACCH. I do not know much about it. I do know that it is a program to use with students with autism and that it came out of N. Carolina.

Just wondering if anyone can give me information about the program and if I should go to the workshop.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 5, 2006

I tried implementing TEACCH last year with my PreK special ed. kids 9mostly kids that will be diagnosed on the spectrum when they turn 6!) w/out having gone to the workshop and had a hard time. I know basics, but definately could have used the guidance from the workshop!

In VERY short, TEACCH helps kids work independently and realize that tasks have a beginning, middle, and end. It's VERY structured if you implement the program the way it's designed. They always work left-to-right and top-to-bottom. Almost anything can be made into a TEACH task with the right adaptations. You can get some basics on the program from their website at http://www.teacch.com/

If your district is wanting you to impliment the program, I would definately try to get the training!!!! I think it works REALLY well for some kids, but it isn't for everyone... but what program is!

Let me know if you need task ideas when you get started, I've got some resources and ideas for ya. ;)

4. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 5, 2006

I love it! I took a class this past summer, and have changed my classroom totally. You will learn lots!!

5. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 5, 2006

Is it a way of teaching or a program you teach?

6. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 5, 2006

I teach sped preschool...I have one student who has Autism, he was just diagnosed last May. Last year I didn't teach my class around him or anything, mainly because we weren't sure about the labeling.

Anyway...Now my room is set up for him. He has a line drawing schedule, where he matches the pictures to envelops around the room. At his work basket time, he has a work system schedule. He takes from right to left and matches it to his activity.

I also learned to velcro everything that I want him to do during his IEP work basket time. I currently have 3 students, and I did this schedule system for all of my students. It really worked well for them all.

This schedule then travels to the general ed classroom. The general ed teacher made the same line drawing schedule as me.

I hope this helped!

7. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Sep 5, 2006

Yes thanks

8. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Sep 5, 2006

I don't think there is a word strong enough to express how much I adore TEACCH methods.

9. D'Maestro

D'Maestro Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

TEACCH will give your students the necessary structure they need. It will even give you the structure you need in order to survive a self-contained class. It is both a program and a way of teaching.

10. sva

sva Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

I use some aspects of the TEACCH model like the visual schedule. We have a class schedule and then a few students have more specific routine schedules (washing hands, getting ready for the bus, etc). I'm not overly fond of the work tasks because I think they are artificial (often). I use them with a student but I also want to make sure that he has plenty of time to be with his peers to learn social skills as well. (I teach ECSE.)

Boardmaker software is especially helful when doing TEACCH!

11. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

I think TEACCH is great when you are trying to make your students more independent. I think this is the goal for my students this year. To be more independent during work time. I also teach ECSE, but I really believe in the work tasks, because I have students who are extremely low.

12. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Sep 9, 2006

I think this is very important for EVERYONE, regardless of age, and just another reminder that no one method for teaching students with autism is the answer. TEACCH provides structure to the classroom and increases independence, but it doesn't always provide for social skills instruction/interaction. We mixed ABA, TEACCH, RDI, etc. in our rooms to provide the best education we could.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 10, 2006

I have a mild autism class and I would jump at the chance to get training in the TEACCH program.