TEACCH

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by anewstart101, Oct 23, 2010.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 23, 2010

I just spent a week at teacch training --- does any one use teacch in their classroom or have a teacch classroom set up for older kids???

3. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 23, 2010

I don't use it but have heard it is really good.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2010

I have a middle school classroom and it is set up following the TEACCH model.

5. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 23, 2010

I have ten thousand ideas -- where do I start

getting more meaning ful activities or getting all my students following a schedule then add in work systems as I find out what they can do and what I have

where do I begin????

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 23, 2010

my kids are with me all day --except 3rd period we do outings every day though that needs structure too

7. neenuh

neenuh New Member

Oct 24, 2010

I have a TEACCH classroom set up for my middle school high functioning autism students.

8. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Oct 24, 2010

I've set up a TEACCH classroom too - but only worked there for a couple of weeks.

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2010

I'm out of town this weekend, but will be back tomorrow night.
    I'll write a novel for you then, lol.

10. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 24, 2010

Thanks in ADVANCE

LOL

11. manda80411

manda80411 Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

I am currently working on setting up teach work boxes for high school life skills classroom. Most of my students are higher functioning. I will be taking pictures of them as I get them done. I would love to see what others have come up with. Here is a list of the ideas I have so far:

Box Title
    1. Rolling Coins
    2. Dry Measure using Measuring cups
    3. Dry Measure using Measuring spoons
    4. Wet measure using measuring cups
    5. Wet measure using measuring spoons
    6. Rollin silverware
    7. Table place setting
    8. Phone book
    9. Grocery Store Food Sort
    10. Needs and Wants Sort
    11. Sort Laundry (towels-bathroom, kitchen, cleaning)
    12. Mail Sort (junk, important, bill)
    13. Rolling dough
    14. Cutting with a Knife
    15. Rounding Money to nearest Dollar
    16. Junk/Healthy food sort
    17. Answer phone
    18. Match times on clock to analog time
    19. Set an alarm
    20. Sort Men’s/Women’s Bathroom signs
    21. Label Community sign
    22. File Presidents by years
    23. Sort pans by where they can be use (micro/oven/stove)
    24. Measure strips of paper and sort to the nearest inch
    25. Sort food by location in kitchen (cabinet, fridge, freezer)
    26. Record expiration date on food
    27. Use a can opener
    28. Sort people by their status
    29. Fold clothes
    30. Sort recyclables and trash
    31. Profession sort (what they do and what they use)
    32. Fold sheets
    33. Make a bed
    34. Sort clothes that you fold and hang
    35. Cut coupons and sort
    36. Fill salt shakers
    37. Fill sugar packet containers
    38. File Holidays by the months they occur
    39. Match clothes to what season you would wear them
    40. Food inventory
    41. Making change
    42. Match Money
    43. Menu Math
    44. Boil Water
    45. Wrap presents

12. manda80411

manda80411 Rookie

Oct 25, 2010

Pictures

I have a lot of the picture sort pictures if anyone would like them. Just let me know. They are all real pictures taken off google.

13. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 25, 2010

me!

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2010

anewstart-

The very first thing that I would start with is a classroom schedule and individual schedules. Make them individual to your students (higher students can have big words, little pics, middle students big pics little words, lower students objects, photographs, etc. with very small words).

Give your students the ability to transition within the classroom as independently as possible. Did you learn about all of the different types of visual schedules in your TEACCH training? A method that works well for me and with my students is the "match board" method - I don't know what it's officially called. The students check their schedules and match their pieces to a match board located in that appropriate area of the room (which corresponds to that activity). This way, the kids can transition 100% independently.

With lower students, I've seen the "transition cue" work really well. This is an object or item that the child knows means to check their schedule. One such way of doing it is a cup that holds sticks, puzzle pieces velcroed to a puzzle, etc. There are a lot of ways to do the transition cues, but you're supposed to make it meaningful to the child, so that they understand what they're supposed to do when you hand them the cue.

The "independence" factor within the schedule following is HUGE.

Have you seen pics that I've posted of our schedules and pieces before? If you search for old posts, especially at the beginning of this school year, I think I posted a bunch.

Do you have access to Boardmaker?

What levels are your students?

Can they match picture to picture? Color to color? This is key in determining the schedule pieces you make for each kid.

As far as work systems, I would start very simple. Maybe a 3-step work system that you rotate kids in and out of. Make several simple activities (some good ones were suggested already). You don't need to make a station for each kid all at once. I would start out with one station and add in more stations as you have the time to create the materials, etc.

Study Carrels work amazingly well for the work stations. Do you have access to these? Another way you can do it is to use dividers to create the divided space. They sell some corrugated cardboard dividers which are real cheap, if your school does not have the regular room/office dividers or Study Carrels.

That should get you started for now....

15. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 25, 2010

Oh Good I am starting the right way --- my students have their own desk --- because there was a lot of one to one work going on in the classroom.

I have six students -- considered severe --

I decided to start with schedules -- I learned about schedules --I utilized transition cards today and it worked wonders!!!!!!!!!!

I have two that follow their schedule -- pretty good -- needs to be altered eventually

I am working on the four who need a better schedule ---

one is going to be on an object schedule where we are truly the schedule for her.

one is on a word/picture card --- with one pec at a time -- she is transitioning with her card to the next activity.

Two are going to be on a half day schedule -- with just the pictures ---with transition cards to get them back to their schedules

two of my students -- who have their own classroom -- I am setting their area up -- with their own one one area -----a little more clinical in nature

I am in the process of making my own barriers around their desk -- will talk to sped dept to see what else I can get.

as far as activities I am thinking really simple ---

I tried to do a two color sort with one student and he was unable to do that ------
    I am thinking a lot about put in sort of task -- stacking cups was hard for one of my students --- I have a lot of puzzles so I may do a puzzle task.

I got one schedule up and going

I am doing a little color coding today.

16. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 26, 2010

I'd love to see an example (or hear more detail) about the object schedule. Most of my kiddos are on binders, but I have one student who still does not understand her schedule. It's large, it's simple, it's also been quite awhile, so if there is something else out there that might work for her, that would be great.