Taught my first lesson that I wrote myself today!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MetalTeacher, Apr 14, 2017.

1. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Apr 14, 2017

I taught a review lesson on Problem/Solution writing for 6th grade. We read The Day the Crayons Quit and then did a short assignment where the students wrote a letter to themselves from an object they own but might not always use correctly. (The responses were hilarious, this is why I love these kids so much!)

Between the entrance and exit ticket it looks like I did okay, the class average went up by four points! (And it would have gone up more if my host teacher hadn't left me alone with the two most talkative blocks for about 45 minutes, and if half a dozen kids in the last block hadn't handed in blank exit tickets so they could go to lunch.)

Parts could have gone better, but considering I got left alone for a while and it was an early release day, I think it still turned out well.

MLB711, yellowdaisies and mathmagic like this.
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2017

Glad it went so well and that you're feeling confident!

Always remember that there is always a way to improve, so don't let that get you down. My mantra with my kiddos (and thus attempting to make it mine as well) is: celebrate what was successful / growth, own your mistakes or struggles, and then set out to find a way to improve on one of those mistakes or struggles.

What in particular went well with your lesson, do you feel? (Not the results, but your actions) What was one spot you feel you could improve? How do you think you might look into improving that?

MetalTeacher and yellowdaisies like this.
  4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 14, 2017

Sounds like it went very well !

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 14, 2017

Sounds thrilling! Hope you've given yourself many mental high-fives.

6. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Apr 14, 2017

My lesson did a good job of helping the kids relate the academic aspects to their personal lives and injected a sense of humor into it; I could see it really connecting with a lot of the kids and they really enjoyed it.

Classroom/behavior management is my weak point right now, I was already aware that it was. I'm an undergrad in my first practicum so this practicum has been my first major classroom experience. I'm not terribly worried about not having behavior management down yet, because I know it will come. (I'm taking a grad class specifically about classroom and behavior management this summer and will have a 2nd practicum, this one in a high school, before I do my student teaching, so I know that the management skills will come with time and experience.)

mathmagic likes this.