Tattoos?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lakenjade, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

Hello everyone! I think I already know the answer to this question but I want to ask anyway. I did a search and only found a very old thread.

I have several tattoos and was wondering what the policy is on them showing. 3 of them are very easily covered, but the one on my ankle would show anytime I wear a skirt. Do I avoid skirts at all costs, use makeup or pay to have it removed? I am honestly not apposed to paying for removal, but was just curious what you guys thought about them being visible while at school.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2008

I know that everywhere is very different, but here, unless it is offensive, it wouldn't be an issue.

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 11, 2008

I wouldn't worry to much unless the one that is visible isn't appropriate for school/work/children.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2008

Each district will have its own policies and guidelines.

Here, it wouldn't be a problem. We have a few teachers on staff who have full sleeves, and they don't have to cover anything up.

As long as the subject of your tattoos isn't offensive, I doubt it would be a huge problem except in the most conservative schools.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 11, 2008

Depends on what it is. We had a teacher with a four leaf clover on her ankle, no one really cared. I wouldn't call attention to it.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2008

I have a tat on my ankle and don't make any attempt to cover it up, and haven't had anything said to me.

8. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Sep 11, 2008

my charter school does not have a problem with modest ones.... my HT has one on her ankle, as do i... and the one on my back shows with some shirts... Ask your Principal... or if its small you can always cover it with a band-aid.

9. msmath

msmath Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

Find out your school policy. We don't have a dress code or a policy about that. I have tattoos. One is on my ankle and I wear skirts all the time. It's all fine at my school.
    Ask your boss. :) I don't think it's a big deal.

10. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

I have one on my ankle as does a friend of mine, and in our district we are required to cover them. So we use band aids from the nurses office. Although every now and then just to be silly I'll wear a bright colorful one on it.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2008

it wouldnt be an issue at all in my district, either. A lot of people have them where I work.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 11, 2008

I work in a conservative school (was once a Quaker school and some traditions are still in place). We have a student dress code on tattoos, piercings and hair color. So, teachers are expected to set an example. I have 2 tattoos. Both are easy to cover. If someone asks about tattoos I don't lie about having them, but I don't blare it out either. Two teachers don't have anything to do with me ... "she has tattoos!" Oh well, not my problem.

It's a battle. I couldn't care less about tattoos, piercings or hair color. Not even a blip on my radar. This becomes a problem when students leave my classroom and walk into their next class and get "caught" breaking the dress code. Makes me the bad guy 'cause I didn't say anything first thing to the student. Oh well, I have other things to worry about and focus on ... not worried about a nose ring.

A teacher with visible tattoos would not be hired at my school. I didn't know my school was so conservative when I was hired. :(

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 11, 2008

I have one on my ankle. Including student teaching I've worked at three schools and I've never had to cover it up. But if I ever need to I can do it with a band aid. I think in this day and age tattoos are becoming more and more common so it's not really a big deal unless it's something offensive. But of course some schools do have policies about it so like many have suggested, check it out.

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2008

My principal (who is no spring chicken) has a tattoo on her shoulder. I saw it one day this summer when she was wearing a tank top. You would be surprised how accepted tattoos are nowadays.

15. km51571

km51571 Companion

Sep 11, 2008

agreed i have three (two are visible). i wear skirts everyday and have a tattoo on my ankle. my other visible one is on my wrist so the kids see it all the time. most adults don't even notice them!

16. Mrs.ABC123

Mrs.ABC123 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

I have a tattoo on my ankle, too! I have never had a parent mention anything in the past 3 years. So far, this year, not one student has even said anything. Do not worry about it at all-wear whatever you want! If it is not okay, your principal will let you know and then you can consider your options. For now, don't sweat it! ;)

17. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 11, 2008

I have a tattoo on my shoulder blade and am planning another one - location TBD, for the child I miscarried. No one in my division has said anything about tattoos, and honestly, I won't check before I get my next one, even if I get it on my forearm (where I am thinking about getting it). Its my business and my body. In Saskatchewan, if they fire me for it, I go to the Human Rights Comission and they pay, so I have no fears.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

I agree with everybody else. As long as the school isn't ultra-conservative and the tatoo isn't offensive or inappropriate, it shouldn't be a problem. Heck, we have teachers with nose rings and VERY visable tatoos, and nobody cares. On the flip side, the catholic school my kids went to last year made a teacher cover up a cross on her ankle...go figure.

19. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 11, 2008

I have one on my lower back. It is completely covered every day so I don't think anyone even know I have it. I would think it would be ok. if you didn't try to draw attention to it.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

I never thought my belly button ring would be discovered....until I had to reach really high for something and my shirt untucked itself...that was embarrasing.

21. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

I at least feel a little better now! Unfortunately for me it is about
    2"x2" so I can't exactly cover it with a band aid! :eek:hmy:

I think I will make a couple of "anonymous" phone calls today to see what the policies are in each district.

I don't think I will stress about it! I am just so excited about finally accomplishing my goal that I want to plan everything out ahead of time!

22. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

yes, I agree, I think if it is offensive then it should be covered. We have several people that have tattoos and they show. I have a leg piece that shows a little bit below my peddle pushers but it has not been an issue at all. I think it depends on the district/school.

23. Druin

Druin Rookie

Sep 13, 2008

I work in a fairly conservative area and I have 2 tats. The one on my toe shows whenever I wear sandals. I don't know that my principal knows, but then again, he rarely stares at my feet :) The other is on my shoulder blade, so most people don't know about that one. I've never had a problem with them and most people think the toe tat is cute :)

24. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 14, 2008

In our cneter they have to be covered, though I think it's becoming a little more toelrated as long as it's not offensive because so many kids come in with fake ones these days--the only piercings we are allowed are ears and I guess belly rings would be okay because they would be ocvered but I can't imagine having a little kid pull on my belly ring-- if i had one-- actually I don't even have pierced ears! Icky--- fine on everyone else but I'll stick withthe holes that God gave me and call it good. LOL

25. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Sep 14, 2008

My son is in Catholic school and his teacher has one on her ankle and does not cover it up. I think it is becoming more acceptable, to a certain extent.