Tattoos

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peregrin5, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 23, 2012

How many of you have tattoos?

I have two. One is a zero on my right shoulder, which is easily concealable. The second is a large peregrine falcon on my left forearm, which unfortunately is only concealable with a long-sleeved shirt.

My P doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but I don't feel comfortable showing it to my students. (I'm trying to maintain professionalism.)

It's a good thing I live in the Bay Area though, so it's pretty cool down here. It only gets too hot to wear long-sleeves in the Summer, so it all works out. =]

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2012

For some reason I always read your name as penguin. Maybe it was looking at the little bird in the picture and not knowing what peregrine is. ha

4. MissMav

MissMav Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

I have ten. Yes...ten. :rolleyes:

Right wrist, right upper arm, let forearm, left upper arm, thigh, back.

I was told once when I forgot to put back on my sweater by the principal where I was student teaching...its not what is on your arms that makes you. Its what is in your head and heart.

:sorry:for the typos...I'm on my kindle and doing a touch screen.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 23, 2012

I don't have any yet but plan on getting at least three, all very small. One will be the word Lumos, another two interlocking horseshoes, and the last a cat paw print. All will be easy to hide.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 23, 2012

I have two (back of neck and back). They never show at school.

7. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

Lumos! A fellow HP fan? :p I have a golden snitch on my left ankle :lol:

I have three, with plans for a fourth. One on each ankle, one on my wrist, and I'm planning on one on my back. Unusually keep my ankle ones covered at school but the wrist one is usually visible. I've been fortunate enough to work at schools where tattoos aren't an issue.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I believe a peregrine is a falcon.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

None.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

None by choice.

But I do have two very tiny little dots necessary for aiming the radiation correctly.

Only the doctors and Peter have seen them, though I would certainly show my daughters if the need ever arose, God forbid.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

I have three. One I got the day after I turned 18, it's the rainbow fish on my hip. My second one is a little "wave" (more like a squiggly line) on my inside ankle. My third is a heliconia (a type of flower, looks similar to bird of paradise) on my ribs.

I plan to have a 4th done on my back somewhere. It'll read "Keep Living". A reminder to myself and as a memorial to someone who helped me when I was in need.:)

12. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

I don't have any.

13. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 23, 2012

I don't have any but have thought about it a couple of times. Once when I was in New Zealand doing my student teaching. I wanted to get a Koru, which symbolizes new life, growth, strength and peace. I thought it symbolized my experience there perfectly!
    The other one to somehow symbolize my marathon experience. BUT I don't know what I would get with that. I don't like to do what everyone else does and man my shoes definitely didn't have the typical wings everyone gets!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I have a blue star on my ankle and a pink breast cancer ribbon on the back of my neck (in memory of my mom who passed).

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 23, 2012

I have 7, but have been inked 9 times. Two of my tattoos I added to, so even though people see 7 tattoos, I really have 9.
    The only one visible at all times is my ankle. I have one on my upper thigh, and the rest are on my back and shoulders.
    I am already planning my next one. It will be a small one, I think.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2012

I'm not even brave enough for pierced ears, let alone a tattoo.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 23, 2012

I've had better luck with tattoos. They really don't hurt that much (more like scraping a finger nail across your skin), and my piercings (only had them when I was a teenager) always got infected.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 23, 2012

Yup! I grew up with them and they're my favorite books! I actually kind of have it teaching related too though. It reminds that everyone has light in them and I want to see the light in my students and drive in my students and always try to be as wise as Rowling portrayed Dumbledore to be! And it also reminds me that no matter how bad my day is, there's light at the end of the tunnel! I'm hoping to get that one soon :)

Our P just told us that he doesn't mind tattoos as long as they're school appropriate. But I'm still getting mine where they're easy to hide!

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2012

Nearly everyone I know has a tattoo or several. I never got any and surely am not going to get any now that I'm a grama! I've never even pierced my ears.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I don't have any tattoos, but I wouldn't mind a small, meaningful one. I'd probably get it on my inner wrist or inner forearm. There are a few reasons that I don't have any tattoos already, primarily the pain factor and also the issue of wanting to make sure that whatever I get isn't going to seem stupid in a few years.

I have a few piercings. They're much easier to conceal or remove altogether, either temporarily or permanently.

I have some very close friends with lots and lots of tattoos. One of my closest friends even has a face tattoo. To look at her you'd think she'd be pretty hardcore and tough, but really she's pretty quiet and sweet. She's an accountant. :lol:

21. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 23, 2012

I had a sorority sister that got matching tattoos with her 85-year-old grandmother. You're never too old! :D

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2012

None & don't plan on getting any!

23. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 24, 2012

I know someone who is extremely professional, and looks so prim and proper because she is always wearing a business suit when she's working. Then when she's off, she takes off her suit, and it's like bam! Full sleeves, and everything, and she hops on her Harley and takes off. It's hilarious. :lol:

24. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 24, 2012

I have four. Puzzle piece on my left wrist, dog tags down my left side, a broken rose on my right hip, and lyrics to a great song written in Hebrew on my right ribs. Every one has a special and significant meaning. I drew up all of them with the exception of the Hebrew which was written by one of my best friends.

25. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 24, 2012

I have my kids names in the shape of a Jesus fish on my left foot. I actually plan on getting this one re-designed. I would like to get a couple of more... No issues yet...

26. MsG

MsG Companion

Aug 24, 2012

I have two. I have a cross on my hip, it doesn't show. I got it after my best friend died. The other is a scroll design I drew on the top of my foot. It shows if I wear sandals. The kids notice, but they just ask if it is real. No one else ever says anything. I want to get one behind my ear, I just have to decide what.