tattoo

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by mykidsrgr8, Apr 1, 2007.

1. mykidsrgr8

mykidsrgr8 Rookie

Apr 1, 2007

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo for the past couple of months, which is so not me. I am 37 years old and guess I am going through some sort of mid-life crisis. My husband would think it is great, which is why I don't want to tell him. I don't want him to talk me into it, I want it to be my decision, and if I do get one I would kind of like to surprise him. ;)

Do most people who have tattoos still like them after they have had them for awhile or do they regret getting them? How long should I wait before I get one to see if this passes?

3. mincc

mincc Companion

Apr 1, 2007

I got my first tattoo in September. I turned 33 in November. The tattoo is of my dog, well a portrait of her face with some words from a Bible passage. It is gorgeous. I had wanted this for several years.

My advice is to think about it and most importantly, where you want it. Mine is on my calf. It def. needs to be YOUR decision. Take your time.

If you decide to go for it, make sure you check out the shop you choose. That is of the utmost importance. It should be as clean as a doctor's office, with the Board of Health certs. visible. Talk to friends and family that may have nice tattoos. Make sure whoever you choose listens to you. They should have NO problem letting you see the shop. If you do not know what design you want, they should be willing to help you with an idea, suggest something. :)

Mine took almost 4 hours to complete. They will give you an idea of the price before they start, but at the end they tell you for sure. At least that seems to be the norm from what I hear. That is what my guy did.

Oh and it feels like a BAD sunburn. If you have any questions, let me know. I absolutely do not regret it. :love:

4. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Apr 2, 2007

I have three tats. I got my first one (on my ankle) 15 years ago and I still love it. From talking to others and from my own experience, if you take the time to think about it and if you get something you really want, it will mean more to you. If you just wander into a tattoo shop and pick a tattoo, it won't mean as much and you'll be more likely to regret it.

5. mincc

mincc Companion

Apr 2, 2007

Scarlet,

I totally agree. That is exactly what one of my friends (Many tattoos) told me. He said that even if you dont have the exact design, you can get the artist to help, like if you want a rose, they can show you different ones and help you with ideas/additions etc.
    A woman came in while I was having mine done and knew she wanted a butterfly, she just wasnt sure what kind. They had quite a few and helped her pick one. They really listened to everyone that came in, which were several, as I was there so long. :)

I knew I wanted my dog, I printed out her picture and then told him the words I wanted, and he came up with final art. I cannot believe how real and accurate she looks. She is all white with pink parts near her nose and in her ears, he didnt use white, he just did the sketch/portrait and put the subtle pink in those areas. People have asked me if she is white.

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 2, 2007

Why don't you get a fake one and wear it around for a while before you go permanent? Just to see if you're comfortable with it. . . .

I'm older than you are and I want one, too.

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2007

I want to get one too but I am afraid of students/school reactions later in life.

8. mykidsrgr8

mykidsrgr8 Rookie

Apr 2, 2007

I have checked into doing that, but no one in my area does them. I am hoping to do that when we go on vacation this summer.

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Apr 2, 2007

When I wanted to get a tatoo, I was advised (my my mom) to wait 6 months and if I still wanted it then to go do it. I didn't.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 2, 2007

Ask yourself this question: What will it look like when my skin gets older and starts wrinkling and sagging. Yes, it happens to all of us if we live long enough. Arm and leg skin dries out some and starts looking really different. It is quite shocking!! But a reality. I had a friend who got a rose on her breast. 15 years later, it looks like it is dripping down her chest. So location, location, location.

11. mykidsrgr8

mykidsrgr8 Rookie

Apr 2, 2007

I have been thinking about that. And after watching numerous of episodes of "Miami Ink" I have discovered that as far as aging goes your back is supposed to age well.

I too am worry about the reaction of my students and them going home telling their parents that their teacher has a tattoo. I think that with some people there is still a stigma that goes along with tattoos.

Again, I worry too much about what other people think.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 2, 2007

Get a picture of your grandmother and ink in a tattoo. See how you like the look.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2007

My family member has one one her belly & one on the side of her heel. The one on her heel is nice because it's small enough so when she wears shoes you can't see it!!

14. mincc

mincc Companion

Apr 2, 2007

My stepmom is the administrator of a retirement community. She does not like my tattoo, nor does she like her daughter's. She has told us that we and many others (she thinks tattoos are becoming more popular among women and I agree) will be walking around one of these communities in 40 or 50 years with saggy skin and stretched tattoos. The way she said it cracked me up. My mom is horrified that I have "mutilated" my body, my dad shook his head and everyone else pretty much thinks it is neat, but they were shocked, as apparently, I present an image of a someone who would never have done this? ;) Like I said, you really have to think about it, cause once it is done, the only way to remove it is to cover it with another one or have it lasered off, which costs a fortune. That is why I would never get one with someone's name. My artist agreed with that...he said there are other ways to show the love. :)

No one will know I have this unless I am wearing shorts (which I would never wear to work, even if it was some kind of field day) or a skirt, which I really never wear either. This summer it will be more visible of course...and I don't mind, it really is beautiful.

15. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Apr 2, 2007

I had my first tattoo done about 7 years ago and I still love it. It is on my ankle and like others have said, it has meaning to me. I teach high school and my students know that I have it, but it is not a big deal since most of them have 2 or more. My district is changing dress codes next year and I will have to cover it up along with the students. It's no big deal. Either no capris or a strategically placed medium sized bandage will take care of that. I am considering getting another one this summer, but have not made up my mind. I always knew I wanted one, but I want to be sure before getting the second one. It will be on my foot or shoulder for ease of covering though. Good luck on your decision and take your time. If you really want it, you will still want it in 6 months. (BTW, I'm a 40 year old mother of 2.)

16. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Apr 2, 2007

I say like everyone else...take the time to figure out something that really means something to you, then you will love it forever. I am 36 and I got mine about three years ago when I started teacher's college. I designed it myself and it's a lower back tattoo in a v shape--it is a delicate vine with one dragonfly flying over top, not quite centred. It took me forever to decide and I still love it. The dragonfly symbolises adaptability, free spirtedness and light and the vine symbolises matrimony (my connection with my other half).

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 2, 2007

I've thought of getting a small tattoo, if I ever lost weight, but honestly, I cringe at getting a flu shot. Sitting there while somone sticks needles in over and over...nah! I went with a friend of my nephew and watched him get a tattoo colored in and it just looked so painful. The tattoo artist was very friendly, he even offered to put a little "dot" on to let me see how it felt. I declined!!

18. mykidsrgr8

mykidsrgr8 Rookie

Apr 3, 2007

I did mention it to my husband last night and of course he didn't believe me at first and then he laughed and jokingly called me a hypocrite (he wanted one for a long time and didn't get one because I did not care for them). I was very surprised that he didn't offer to take me to get one then, however he told me to wait and he was almost sure I would change my mind. So for right now I guess I will wait a few more months, maybe a year, and see how I feel.

Thanks for all of the advice!!:)