tattoo policy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by e6789, Jul 13, 2012.

1. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

Yesterday, a few of my friends and I were talking about getting tattoos. When I mentioned that I would consider it, but didn't know what to get or where to get one. She suggested that I get one on my wrist. My sister has tattoos on her wrist and regrets them, so I'd never get one there, even if i weren't a teacher.

It got me thinking. What's your school's tattoo/piercing policy? I have been at schools where they are both okay, and schools that require you to remove obvious piercings and cover tattoos.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

We're a conservative Catholic school.

If there is a policy, it's that tattoos are to be covered. But, honestly, knowing the culture of the school, that wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

Our policy states that tattoos should be covered, but it's not strictly enforced. Our assistant principal and the principal's secretary both have visible (but small) tattoos.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

They have to be covered at my school, too.
    One teacher has one on her wrist, and she has to wear a wide cuff or something everyday.
    Another teacher has one on her foot and never bothers to cover it. My P is not good on enforcing things individually- everything comes as a blanket statement to the staff.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

No policy. A few teachers have tattoos on their ankles, feet or the inside of their wrist--it's not an issue at all.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2012

Teachers in my building have them in covered places...I don't think we have a policy as one of our senior administrators has a visible one, but my principal was admittedly distracted by a candidate's tattoo on her hand and wrist during the interview process this spring. For whatever reason, that person did not get the job.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

Ours are suppose to be covered. Having said that I know of one teacher that has one on the inside of her wrist that she doesn't cover & another teacher that has one of top of her foot that isn't always covered. Seems to me that I've also seen one on the back of somebody's neck. All of these have been small & maybe not noticed by the P.

Another teacher had the world on the inside forearm. She had to keep that covered. That one was pretty big.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

Several of us have tattoos at my school. We keep them covered. I don't think we have a staff policy on tattoos, but our students are supposed to cover theirs ... so, modeling expectations.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

No policy. Many of our teachers have tattoos, especially the younger teachers. One teacher has flowers all up and down her arms.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 13, 2012

I think that trying to cover tattoos is often more distracting than the actual tattoo.

12. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 13, 2012

we don't have a policy. I have one on my ankle, no one ever notices it until the spring when I have sandals and a sundress on, and the kids are sitting on the carpet listening to me read. They think it is cool, because they all have them (fake ones obviously)

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2012

No policy. No one purposely covers their tattoos. Some teachers have quite a few.

14. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 13, 2012

We don't have a policy that I know of. Our tech guy has several on his arms. I have one on my hip, but it's never seen, and one on the top of my foot that you can see when I wear sandals. No one has ever said anything to me about it.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2012

In my last district, I was surprised to see a few teachers with visible tattoos. One had many visible tattoos and she retired this year. I wondered if maybe she didn't get them until after she was hired. ??

I've worked in a couple of districts that I don't think someone would get the job if a tattoo was visible during the interview.

If the area is conservative, it might be a good idea to only get easily hidden tattoos.

16. e6789

e6789 Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

Agree! I cant tell you how many times I heard, "what's wrong? Why do you have a bandaid?"

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

A teacher friend who had a rather large tatto, told her students that over spring break she was bit by a shark. Therefore, the large ace bandage. I don't know if the kids bought it or not.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2012

Ours states that they must be covered at all times and it is enforced, but I know they don't go "looking" for anyone breaking the rules. Once in a while I see someone's foot tattoo, but I usually see the same people with a bandaid, so I am sure it is a matter of forgetting or thinking the shoe is covering it.

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 13, 2012

No policy that I know of. Several teachers at my building have them, including me.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 13, 2012

Must be a California thing. :2cents:

Last year, I worked with a couple of teachers who had full "sleeve" tattoos.

21. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jul 13, 2012

This topic has been covered here a few times. It tends to lead to a lot of defensiveness and opinions about what people find tasteful and not tasteful.

For my money, I think you're better off being conservative in the workplace, no matter what the policy is.

22. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 13, 2012

Our faculty handbook states that visible tattoos are not allowed. I have never seen anyone with one that was visible.

23. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jul 13, 2012

Is it really that detrimental? :unsure: I'm meeting with the artist to discuss my first tattoo next Saturday.

Does it matter that I'm either getting the quadratic formula or Euler's identity? :lol:

24. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 14, 2012

It seems to vary by school in my district. I've seen high school teachers with full sleeves, while I'm pretty sure others have policies to cover them. I've never seen any at elementary schools, but I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. Tattoos are incredibly common and only becoming more and more popular. I think policies will continue to loosen.

25. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

I must be old school but I do not see the reasons for having any tattoos or piercing anywhere. I have seen some beautiful Tattoos on both men and women. I just think what they will look like 20, 30, 40, 50 years from now, that cute little butterfly will look like a vulture after some years.
    Ink Regret: Job Seekers Seek Tattoo Removal to Increase Job Prospects I find getting a Tattoo is one of the fallacies of youth "It seemed like a good idea at the time"

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

When I taught elementary, most teachers, including the principal, had multiple tattoos, many visible. While away at trainings, faculty members would often go together to get tattoos. It wasn't considered a big deal at all.

27. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2012

People get way too hung up on superficial things. I really don't care if someone has 20 tattoos or green hair or blue nail polish.

Snap judging people based on their appearance is tiresome.

It is a fact of life though, so definitely cover them up for interviews. I also save the blue nail polish (currently wearing Chanel Coco Blue, my summer favorite) for the first day of work. (no tattoos or green hair though--maybe next year)

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

:thumb:
    And definitely a conservative appearance on an interview is the best choice in most cases.

29. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

Absolutely, czacza. I was on a hiring team this year and our first interviewee showed up with a nose ring and avisible tattoo. She also wore khaki pants and a rather casual shirt. My P tossed her information after the interview, not exactly "because of" her appearance, but because she believed it showed a lack of professional judgement.

30. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 14, 2012

:thumb:

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

32. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2012

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

33. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2012

We didn't have a policy at my last school, but the few teachers I know that had tattoos purposely got them in areas that were easily covered up by professional clothing. I personally wouldn't chance it, but I don't like them anyway so I guess that colors my opinion...if I really, really wanted one maybe I'd feel differently. I had a roommate in college who always wanted to be a teacher (one of those "I don't want to major in education, so I'll just go back and do it later") and she had 15+ tattoos and there was no way she could cover them all up. People often commented that she was going to have a hard time getting a teaching job with them. Her twin sister who had about the same number actually got a job with TFA in South Dakota. Her placement school was apparently extremely upset when she showed up covered in tattoos.

34. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 14, 2012

My tattoo, and any future ones I get, are in places easily covered by professional clothing. Students have seen mine once, during drama practice, when i was bending over painting a flat and a strong wind blew my shirt up in the back. They hooted for a second, and then forgot about it. I forget about it most of the time, honestly. When I got a tattoo, I actually wasn't thinking about future employment, I was thinking about it showing in a wedding dress. (Funny, because we didn't have a real wedding...)

I have coworkers, and students with visible tattoos. It's not seen as a big deal. If they were incredibly large or obscene, they would be seen as a problem, and need to be covered.

35. holliday

holliday Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

In my district, nobody seems to care much. It's a fairly casual environment (maybe due to the heat? the altitude? lol) I have a small strawberry on my right ankle and have never thought to cover it. It usually takes my students a few weeks, sometimes months, to notice it.

36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 14, 2012

We don't have a policy.

37. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jul 14, 2012

At my last school, we didn't have a policy. I have a few tattoos but only the one on my ankle can be seen. I've never covered it up except for when I student taught since the P was very conservative. I am not sure if my new school has a policy regarding tattoos but I'll find out next week.

38. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2012

I don't know what the policy is, I do know that some teachers make a good effort to keep them primarily hidden. Though our P has one that can be seen at all times.

39. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

We do not have a policy regarding tattoos. There are some teachers who have them on their feet and ankles, and they do not cover them up.

I think we have policies regarding piercings, but I do not know what they are off-hand. I don't think we can have facial piercings.

40. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 15, 2012

All tattoos must be covered and the only piercings allowed are women's ears. There was an English teacher at the high school who fought it and wore earrings every day. He was Native American and said they were part of his culture. We have a few teachers with tattoos. Most are in areas where clothing hide it. One teacher has a star on her inner wrist. She wears cuff bracelets or stacked bracelets. You can still see the edges of it sometimes, but nothing is usually said. We also can't wear distracting hair color.