tattoo/piercings - you, not your kids

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kimrandy1, Aug 6, 2010.

1. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2010

Ok, in the other thread about the age at which you'd let your kids get pierced/tattoo'd....one poster commented that she was afraid a kid at school would see a tattoo (sorry I don't remember if she already had one or was planning one).

How do you feel about tattoo'd teachers? I have always, always wanted a small tattoo, and I have passed up several opportunities to get one (even went to the studio on my 30th birthday and chickened out). I'm not afraid of the pain. I'm afraid of how it will look to parents of my students, and oddly enough, my mom. I could get it in a place no one would see it, but then I wouldn't see it often, either, so what's the point, you know??

My ideal tattoo is a very small cat in the hat. I had thought about getting one on my hipbone, but then I have bathing suit season to worry about. I'm also not a small woman, so I don't want it to emphasize my flab and stretch marks.....

I turn 40 next year, maybe this is in the cards?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

As I stated in the other thread:

one hole in each ear lobe.

Two tiny blue dots on either side of my right breast, so the radiologists could correctly aim the radiation.

That's two small tattoos too much for me. I'm done.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2010

My mom has the radiation dots, too, so that they could aim at her spine. She was so embarassed of them that she investigated tattoo removal. I told her that they were badges of courage and valor and she should be proud - so should you.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

Oh, I am. LIke the dents in my car (2 of them) caused by hitting a stationary object while in tears--stupid beyond belief, I know.

But I've never wanted a tattoo, and those 2 are as close as I'm getting.

Besides, with all the scars and the implant and everything, the dots are the very LAST thing anyone would notice--- not that I have vast crowds looking :)

6. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

Well...when my daughter turned 18 she remembered that back when she was 13 and bothering me about getting a tattoo (yes, 13!), I said when she was 18 if she still wanted one I would get one with her. In February of last year she remembered and yes, we both went. She designed both tattoos, we got them in different spots (did not want mine to show because of school). My sister actually came along to take pictures! Surprisingly, we do have many teachers who do have them, most on an ankle or shoulder. Nothing gaudy.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

As a private school, we do have teachers with tattoos but they are not allowed to show. No more than one piercing in each ear. I have 3 holes on one ear and 2 on the other (leftover from the 80's). I never wear any earrings anymore but all of my piercings are still open. I would like to get a tattoo but I would have to be able to hide it.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I have a tat and I can name about 10 of our staff members that have them too.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 7, 2010

I work with someone who has a full sleeve and a half of a sleeve on her other arm, along with small studs in her nose and upper lip. She is constantly in short sleeve shirts. I find it quite tacky (could be b/c she is not one of my favorite people, lol) especially when she is always talking about how what we wear affects how parents perceive us and that we should dress more professionally.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 7, 2010

I've always wanted a pirate flag on my ankle. I won't get it, though. Temp. tattoos are great.

11. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

I have five tattoos. Four of which I got before I graduated high school. I have one tattoo next to one(star) hip bone and another(143[I love you]) on the other hip bone. I have one (heart) on my back that is the size of my hand. I have one(frog) on my foot and one(apple) on my ankle. The first three no one ever sees unless I'm in a swimsuit. The one on my ankle is low enough that when I wear socks you can't see it. I hate my feet so no one sees that one. I don't wear anything that ever show any of my tattoos, and as a result, none of my students or coworkers know I have tattoos.

I have three holes in my ears, but I never wear earrings. I have my nose pierced, but I haven't put anything in it for two years.

I went through my tattoo and piercing phase. I'm pretty sure I don't want anything else.

12. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

I have no piercings. I used to have my ears pierced when I was a toddler but they became infected. My mom let them close up.

I have a spider web tattoo on my right ankle.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 7, 2010

We have teachers with tattoos. It doesn't bother me at all, as I am one of them. When I taught in a different district, we would all go to the tattoo parlor for team bonding, especially if we were out of town for workshops.

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 7, 2010

This sums it up for me. Even though tattoos have lost much of the stigma that used to be associated with them, they still aren't professional. As educators and representatives of our school systems, we DO have to be very aware of how parents, kids and members of the community perceive us. It doesn't matter if their perceptions might be wrong, it still affects the way they view us as teachers and the school system as a whole.

I was in college in the 80's when it became popular for guys to have pierced ears. I briefly considered it, but I'm very glad now I resisted the temptation.

Times have changed and teachers are allowed to be more contemporary. Most male teachers I see in the school systems now wear polo shirts rather than button shirts with a tie. That would have been unheard of when I was in school, unless it was the PE teacher or a coach. Personally, I still consider that to be un-professional and always wear a shirt with tie, even as a substitute. It simply presents a more professional image.

15. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

OUr school was founded by hippies in the 70's, so our perspective is a little different.

We had a teachers assistant who had tattoos everywhere, a nose piercing, 4 holes in one ear and 9 in the other. AND, she was the MOST awesome with the children I'd ever seen. She didn't wear her nose ring while she was at work, and dressed appropriately. I'm really sad she's not there anymore.

Parents started complaining about her, and our administrator stuck up for her. It was awesome.

She ended up leaving to run a fabric and bead shop.

I would say that the only tattoos I find offensive are the ones at the top of someone's butt crack when the teacher wears pants that are low riders. That to me is unprofessional.

16. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 7, 2010

Ahhhh, the infamous "tramp stamp." A friend of mine teaches third grade and has one. One day she had on pants (with a thong!!!) that didn't quite fit right in back and the shirt wasn't long enough to cover when she squatted down. A student commented, "My mom wears panties like that. Mrs. (Last Name), what's a tramp? My dad said mom's 'panty tattoo' means she used to be a tramp. Did you used to be a tramp, too?" :D
    It goes without saying that her husband has to do a butt check on all of her clothes before she goes to work now!

I do have one tattoo. It is a Celtic Tree of Life symbol. My children's names circle the tree.

17. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2010

I just looked up the Celtic Tree of Life symbol and I LOVE it! I've been thinking about getting a tatoo for my 50th B-Day in al little over a year..I figure my skin is pretty much where it's going to be now so it's time! LOL I love the Celtic Peace sign too. Now, Where to put it?

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2010

I had always said I would absolutely never get a tattoo. My middle son begged for years to get one and we always said he had to wait until he was 18. The month he turned 18 he came home with a small guitar pick tattoo (he was a musician). It actually looked nice. To make a long story short, he passed away shortly before his 20th birthday so my husband and I both got a guitar pick tattoo with our son's initials and date of birth/death. The tattoo is no bigger than a regular pick and I am now happy to have that memorial that I can look at every day.

Now I wonder what else I would consider doing that I swore i would never do!!!

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2010

I'm not understanding how the bathing suit becomes a worry...

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2010

I have a tattoo on my ankle. I've had it since I was 18. I haven't ever had a problem with a parent saying anything about it. The kids like it and ask about it. I stress that I got it when I was of age on my own. I know that we have a few teachers with tattoos.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2010

Hmmm, my 50th is at the end of the month, but not sure that this is what I'll do. I used to say "never", but I've learned that never is a very long time and things change. I can see me getting one to honour someone near and dear. It wouldn't be an issue at all in schools here.

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 7, 2010

I've always wanted a tattoo but I would like it to be meaningful.

23. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2010

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I agree that tattoos should be meaningful and I think, for most people, they are. I only want to get one and I want to wait until I find something that really moves me.

24. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 7, 2010

My mom had to talk me into getting my ears pierced when I was in my early 20's... I kept telling her no in HS and college when she'd offer, citing marching band as an excuse (they often said No earrings, even studs, in uniform)... i don't wear earrings every day, but it's nice to have it as an option. I have no desire for any others.

I've never been a fan of tattoos... some people have some really cute ones, but I've never wanted one... I look young (I'll be 29 next month and still get asked where I go to school) and don't think a tattoo would help that :)

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 7, 2010

I have 2, but they never show at school.
    We have several teachers and a few admin that have tattoos, but I can think of only one person that lets the tattoo show.

26. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

I have my wedding ring tattooed, but it is usually covered by my "real" rings. It is nice to be able to leave them off when we do messy projects like papier mache!

Only a couple of kids and parents have noticed.

Although, dh and I did our tattoos the Friday before I got called for my interview. My parents were very nervous about me going to an interview with a tattoo showing, because I couldn't put my real rings over it yet!

27. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

:rofl:

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 13, 2010

I have one earring hole in each ear lobe and one in the top of my left ear. I never wear an earring there because the loop fell out three yrs ago and I never bothered to buy another one. I had my tongue pierced at 25 and took it out at 28. No other piercing or tatoos.

29. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2010

I have two holes in each ear - I wear small diamond studs in the top hole and small hoops in the bottoms. I always wanted a small eyebrow ring but have never had a job I where I would be allowed to wear it :(

No tattoos - I kind of want one, but I'm worried - I'd like it somewhere it won't be seen at work, but I don't like tramp stamps. Also: I can't remember where I read this/saw this, but a woman had gotten a scorpion tattoo near her pelvis as a teen. Three children later, it had stretched into a lobster.

I'll wait till after I have kids :lol:

30. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Aug 14, 2010

I just got done giving my :2cents: in the other piercing/tattoo thread (more like 200 cents it was so long!) so I may as well continue here.

I've had both of my tattoos since the age of 21 (the first much earlier) which was before I had even decided I wanted to be a teacher. When I graduated with my degree in education I have to be honest when I say that my tattoos never even occurred to me. The only way you'd see one is in a bathing suit and the other would be a bathing suit or a tank top. I wouldn't wear either of these things to an interview so I never thought about it. Plus I'd already had them for years so there existence wasn't fresh on my mind.... they were just a part of me. I began student teaching in the summer (year round schools) and it was 110 degrees for our recess duty. I dressed professionally but I did wear sleeveless tops once I realized that was acceptable practice at this school. I can honestly say I never once thought about my tattoo and no one ever said a word.

I was immediately hired by the school I student taught at and began my career. I got surplussed to another school shortly thereafter (strictly based on numbers at the school, not my tattoos, reputation, or teaching ability) where once again not a sole said a word about my tattoo. I am still at this school and there are at least 5 teachers who have tattoos that show on a regular basis. To my knowledge no parent has ever said a word. After reading these threads I feel extremely that I work where I do (school, district, state, whatever the case may be) because I cannot imagine not being able to do what I love (and am good at) based on the fact that I have some ink on my skin. The fact that tattoos are looked upon as unprofessional or inappropriate is just awe-inspiring to me. There are far greater things to worry about in our schools, our communities, this world than if someone has a tattoo. I realize my opinion may be in the minority in the educational world but I just keep waiting for us all to wake up and focus on what is important. Obviously this view extends far beyond tattoos but I will not allow myself to climb up on my soapbox, especially not this late at night... I may fall off :lol:

31. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 14, 2010

You cannot imagine not being able to do what you love based on the fact you have some ink on your skin. The only problem with that perspective is that it can then be expanded to include...

I cannot imagine NOT being able to do what I love based on....
    ...the fact I have a piece of metal through my tongue, nose or eyebrow.
    ...the clothes I like to wear.
    ...the things I say or pics I post on Facebook or MySpace, etc

While you have the "right" to make personal choices in your personal life, businesses have the same "right" to impose certain restrictions and standards on their employees to project the desired image for the business.

Tattoos have lost much of the stigma from their past and become more socially acceptable, but they still carry a negative image for a lot of people and we all know some parents don't need much of a reason to complain to the principal about anything they don't like.

The tattoos may not have ANY effect on how you perform your job, but it might have a BIG effect on how a parent perceives your ability as a teacher, especially if Little Susie comes home and says you don't like her and were "mean" to her in class.

Now, having said that, while many educators may consider tattoos to be unprofessional, I believe most here have commented that their districts haven't taken much issue with teachers have visible tattoos.

Of course, most of those are small or discreet. If you decided to have an entire arm or part of your neck done, that might be a different story.

*On a side note, a friend of mine who used to run a bookstore in town has a son in his early 20's that has had one side of his entire face and head inked. When I saw his pictures on FB, my first thought was "What kind of job do you think you will be able to get looking like that?" The face portion looks like it's half-skeleton/half zombie and the ink extends down that side of his neck as well. He also has his entire back and both arms covered. I'm understand personal expression, but you also have to think about more than yourself if you ever want to have a decent job, doing what you love. *

32. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2010

I think it also depends on what sort of area you live/work in and what type of school yours is. I live in a pretty urban East Coast area that I don't think is nearly as liberal as the west coast, but not as restrictive as the rural south. Of course, since I've never lived on the west coast or in the rural south, both of those places may be nothing like what I'm picturing them as being...maybe I'm just being stereotypical.

33. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

We have several teacher with tattoos. Ankles, lower back, upper chest, etc. Doesn't really seem to be a big deal because they aren't really out there. I had a principal with a nose piercing a few years back.

34. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 14, 2010

I have tattos of the astrological signs of myself, my sons, and my husband up my spine. I have had mine there for years but added the others just last summer when my friend wanted her first one at the age of 37. I also have on at the top of my breast of a teddy bear that I must cover with a bandaid occasionally so it doesn't show through my white shirts.

I was brought up "old school" and don't think that tattoos should show on teachers. I don't believe that my "tats" make me who I am but I also don't want my students to pay attention to them. I feel they should be paying attention to what I say and not my body parts.

We had a parent who complained to our admins. that she did not want her daughter in one of our teacher's classrooms because she had tats and piercings and her daughter(2nd grader) was saying how she wanted one too.