Tattling...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Fluffy, May 22, 2007.

1. Fluffy

Fluffy Rookie

May 22, 2007

I know it is nearing the end of the year, but I am at my wits end with tattlers. That is the most irritating thing for me. I'm a TA with 2nd and 3rd graders. I adore my kids...they are awesome...but they don't hesitate to tattle on someone.

Any ideas on how to nip that in the bud next year before it gets out of hand like it has this year...its so bad they race to my desk to see who can tattle first.

I should also say, I've only been there 1/2 the year (since Feb) and so they were already set in their ways.

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

May 22, 2007

The thing that has helped me this year is asking them when they walk up to tattle "Are you trying to get the person in trouble or out of trouble?" Most of the time they will answer but, and then I tell them they need to work on it their own. This has helped GREATLY because I know as soon as they say but, or try to start talking without answering that question, it means they are tattling. If they say I am trying to get them out of trouble then I will listen and I think that has happened twice this year. So it something to help keep the kids from going any further. Another thing I use is the tattle box. They get a piece of pre cut paper and write their tattle on it and put it in the box.

4. Fluffy

Fluffy Rookie

May 22, 2007

tattle box...hmm...good idea....

5. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 22, 2007

If little Johnny comes to me with a tattle that truly is a tattle I just look at him and say "tell me something about Johnny!" I don't respond to the tattle. They are at a loss for words and it really stops them from tattling. I got that idea from someone here on this board and I want to say THANKS, it does help.

6. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

May 22, 2007

7. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

8. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

May 23, 2007

the best idea i've ever heard for tattling (keep in mind i teach first where they tattle CONSTANTLY) is to make a giant ear and put it on the wall. when they come up to tattle, send them to the ear to listen! i have also heard of teachers using large stuffed animals and having the kids go 'talk' to them when they are tattling. get creative! and don't worry b/c tattling drives us all nuts!!! -meri

9. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

May 23, 2007

I always tell them unless they or someone else is in danger or know of someone who is destroying school property, I don't want to hear it! This has been effective! One teacher at my school (first grade) started punishing tattlers instead of who they were tattling on. She only had to do this for a couple of days! It seemed to do the trick!

10. Fluffy

Fluffy Rookie

May 23, 2007

Its so werid though LOL my 3rd graders are worse then my 2nd. And I'm like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? They think I'm playing....I've started as they walk up to my desk asking "Are you hurt" "no" "is someone else hurt" "no" "do you have a question" "no" "then go sit down" They've gotten lazy with raising their hands too...its ridiculous. I'm like guys you've been raising your hand since the first day of school give me a break.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 23, 2007

I used this question today. I sure did get a deer in the headlights look from my constant tattler. He didn't know the answer! I did. He wanted the other boy to get in trouble. This little guy has a bad habit of tattling on kids who are doing the same thing he is doing. Ugh!

I use the tattle box too, but they can only write their tattles during recess so it keeps it to minimum, but this group loves to tattle so nothing has worked perfectly.

12. patti2

patti2 Cohort

May 23, 2007

Ha.....you all are toooo nice to the little tattlers;) . I just point the other way and say "Go". THey stopped coming to me because they know that is the only word they will get from me. Keep is short and sweet!

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 23, 2007

Our answers at camp:
    "Thanks, I'll take care of it" (if something actually IS an issue)
    "I don't think you need to worry about that"
    and, my personal favorite,
    "I didn't see it, but I'm glad YOU know how to behave"

The last one get a "huh?????" look and is PRICELESS!!!

Too bad none of them work on my 3-yr-olds. Funny how so many of my end-of-the-year parent reports have a comment under "social" about "Elvira is very aware of her behavior as well as that of her peers." In other words... all your kid does all day is tell me what everybody else is doing.

My favorite resonse is "Are you in charge of Johnny?" "no." "OK, then you don't need to worry about it." the other one I use a lot is "what do you want me to do about it?" If they can't come up with anything, they give up. ;)

The best for me, though, is when my kids are like "Jimmy said I'm not 4 years old but I am." OK, then TELl HIM YOU'RE 4!!!!!

14. Schöne Lehrerin

Schöne Lehrerin Rookie

May 24, 2007

Love this idea!!

I love this idea!! I have a tattle box too. I check it everyday, and if its something serious then I handle it. Another thing that has helped is at my school once a week for about 30 minutes each classroom has what is called a class meeting. We talk about and teach the students skills about respect, responsibility making mistakes, bullying, tattling, etc. So having these meetings has helped out alot with that as well. I guess you would have to see if something like that was allowed in your school first.

15. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

May 25, 2007

I have no problem with stopping/ignoring the tattling that involves them trying to get someone else in trouble, but this is what really grates on my nerves:

A:"He's teasing me!"
    B:"No, you teased me first."
    Me: Let's talk this out. Kid A you explain first, while kid b listens."
    A:"He was making fun of me..."

They could go on for hours. I want them to talk out their differences, but they never actually listen to the other person, they are just waiting for their chance to complain.

Any ideas for this kind of tattling?

16. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

May 25, 2007

we use this concept called "kelso." kelso is a green frog and the counselor at our school goes around with her kelso the frog puppet and talks about problem solving. we have a poster that shows how kelso solves his problems with his freinds. he can..

1. ask them to stop nicely
    2. talk it out
    3. share and take turns
    4. walk away
    5. ignore it
    6. make a deal
    7. go to another game
    8. wait and cool off
    9. apologize

anytime a child walks up to me to tell on someone..and lord knows you can tell! i ask them if they have tried 2 of kelso's ways of problems solving (for a small problem like cutting in line.) if they have, i will go over to the offender and we will tyr to work something out. if the child has not tried any kelso ideas, i will ask them to go back and try them out first.

i tell them that a big problem is if someone is hurting another person or could possible hurt themselves then they immediately go and get a teacher. i believe this has helped me in my gym when dealing with 70+ students in every class.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 26, 2007

Does this story have your name in it?

Hi Fluffy,

I posted this same question in the Pre-K forum. The best answer I got so far was, "Does this story have your name in it?" Of course, since I read through the other posters here, I like the broken record routine ("Is he bleeding? no, Are you bleeding? no, etc.") and the simple one "GO!" and pointing in the other direction.

I have been fortunate enough to put the tattler out of my room, until his teacher comes. I was opening, and serving breakfast in Pre-K, and this kid was getting on my last nerve. He was instigating fights every day with his tattling. When kids got tired of him teasing and tattling, they jumped on him! He really started crying and tattling then! And when I had a good day, he still gave a news report to his teacher as soon as she came in.

Honestly, I attributed his behavior to parents that thought it was cute/funny, and allowed this monster to grow. He is very smart, but a pain in the wazoo if he can't get his way and tell on the whole world. I also noticed his teacher was encourage his policing efforts, and in my opinion, way too lax with the class. :(

Fortunately for me, I am not assigned to any of these wonderful people all day. I float, cover the classroom, and do other administrative stuff.

Master Pre-K

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 26, 2007

BTW-Good thoughts by all...but to Ms. T, I would definitely start observing both children. They sound like they are trying to fight for attention. Check with parents. New baby? New house? If this is not the case, I am sure you will see thru observation that BOTH children are guilty. Give them some extra classroom chore to channel that energy.

"No more of this 'She's looking at me" nonsense!! I look at you every day, and it doesn't seem to bother you! You are not hurt; just stop it."

Master Pre-K

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 26, 2007

When I was in 2nd grade my teacher (one of the few that I never liked - but that's another story) had a Tattle Tail. It was a striped, stuffed tail with a belt attached. If you tattled, she made you wear it. Of course you couldn't do that now. (It didn't really work then either.) I teach 5th so my kids are a lot older and can understand more. I simply tell them if no one is bleeding, and if nothing is in danger of blowing up, I don't need to know. Some insist on sharing their nuggets anyway, so I hand them a sheet of paper and tell them I need all the details and that should take at least a whole page to tell me everything. Most decide that it's not important enough to go through that.

20. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 27, 2007

I do about ten minutes of conflict resolution at the end of every Morning Meeting - I have found this INVALUABLE for teaching these skills. When a kid comes to tattle - I usually start with 'Is this an emergency? If not - bring it to Conflict Resolution tomorrow morning' - if it's a big deal, they remember and bring it up - otherwise it is forgotten about and done with!

21. Steeler Girl

Steeler Girl New Member

May 27, 2007

I just got done teaching a first grade class that had the same problem. I also did not start teaching these kids until December of 2006. I began by explaining what tattling is and how it is different from an actual emergency. When the kids would come up to tattle I asked if someone was in danger, hurt or bleeding. If the answer was no they were tattling. If they absolutely felt they had to get it out, they could write it down on a piece of paper. This was not an overnight solution, but after about 2 weeks I had virtually no tattling.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 28, 2007

Good for pre-writing skills

Thanks to all for your ideas! I think I will try that tattle journal/box. Most of the kids who do this are going to kindergarten this September. If they don't want to write it down, they won't be able to tell me!

Master Pre-K

23. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

May 29, 2007

End of the Year Suggestions

Tattling has been an issue in my first grade class all year and especially now. I just want to offer a couple of suggestions that have really helped me.

1. Positive Box. (for good things they see others doing). I just started this today and they absolutely LOVE hearing their named mentioned. I have encouraged them to fill it up and we may have a class treat.

2. Tattle Box. (for problems to talk about later in a class meeting). If the problem is serious, it is addressed immediately.

3. Smiley Face Chart. Getting them to clean up has been an issue all year. Each day, I give them either a smiley face, straight face, or sad face. They have to get a smiley face every day for the rest of the year to earn a class treat on the last day.

4. Tally Marks. Each table has a number and I write tally marks on the board throughout the day. The table that works as a team and has the most tally marks is allowed to eat in the classroom once a week.