Tattling!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by CRD3, Aug 28, 2005.

1. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Aug 28, 2005

I am new to 1st grade--from third. Although, we had a little tattling, I feel there will be much more in 1st grade. Any ideas on how to deal with it?

3. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Aug 28, 2005

1. Draw a big ear and place it on the back wall or a door and have the kids go to the ear to tatttle.
    2. Tattling turtle- have a stuffed animal (doesn't have to be a a turtle) and have the kids tattle to the stuffed animal.
    The above should be done only after you have heard the "complaint" because if it is a legitamate (sp?) complaint you do not want it to go untreated. For example, Suzy keeps saying that Bobby is bothering her, when in fact Bobby is being a bully and has been pushing or threatening Suzy.

4. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Aug 28, 2005

Thanks, that is a cool idea. I have many stuffed animals. I can try that with my own kids.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 28, 2005

I too use a stuffed animal. It is called the tattle bear. They tell him all their stories so I don't have to hear it.

6. pateacher

pateacher Rookie

Aug 28, 2005

I did a tattle can last year. If a kid wanted to tattle on someone, they would write their tattle down and put their name on it, then put it in a can. I would check the can frequently. If it was something serious I addressed it, if not I wouldn't worry about it. It made my life so much easier. This might be a little old for first graders though. I used it with second graders. Good Luck!!

7. stef527

stef527 Rookie

Aug 28, 2005

you can make tails of different animals for the whole class and when someone tattles(something that is not a real problem) you can take their tail away. There should be some kind of incentive though for keeping your tail for the whole week.

8. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Aug 28, 2005

Thanks for all the good ideas--I can't wait to try them!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2005

Fire, flood, throw up, blood....if it's one of those tell me.(In other words someone is hurt or in danger) If it's not put it in the 'complaint book'. Have a little notebook that kids can write their problem in- look through it every day or so to check that nothing Major is going on. Continual problems (bullies, no one to play with) can be a topic for class meetings to brainstorm solutions to problems that recur.

10. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2005

I have a small bucket called Mr. Yuck. We discuss the difference between "tattling and reporting". If they need to tattle they write it down, sign and date it. Needless to say I don't get much tattling. After all that they decide its not worth it. Oh when they do write it down they give it to mr. yuck. then i read them later. Tattling is not a problem in my room........YET!!!

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2005

I try to get the kids to talk it out first. When they come to me, they know I will always ask, "did you talk about it with so and so first?" I teach them words to use, ie, "I don't like it when..........., Please don't .............., . I like them to begin using problem solving skills, even in K. It takes lots of practice, but it helps them to resolve a lot of those problems that are petty. Of course, I let them know if it is something physical or bullying or threatening, they need to tell me right away, and then we discuss it together and discipline follows should it be warrented. I think it's important for kids to be able learn ways of standing up for themselves, especially since we can't always be there to intervene. I start out the year using a "DeBugs" sheet. It discusses ways for kids to deal with kids who are "buggin' " them. Ignore, walk away, using words, tell an adult. We practice these steps and I refer to them when I do have tattlers. They need to be taught ways to deal with it so they can apply it anywhere , so this is a huge lesson in K. Of course, some of them just tattle to get others in trouble and to be bossy.........I don't stand for that, either. I usually use one of my favorite sayings......you're not the boss! I can usually leave it at that! Kids find out real soon that I won't listen to them when they are doing it for those reasons.

12. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Aug 28, 2005

I remember one teacher who only allowed good tattles. If you need to tell on someone, it needs to be about something good you saw... not something bad. This was much more positive and rewarding. As for the serious stuff, I always discuss when it is important to tell me about serious problems (i.e. bullies, isolation, etc.).When it is a real tattle I will usually answer with something like.... so whose problem is it if "Danny" brought a toy to school when he isn't allowed. They usually get the idea!

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 28, 2005

Or, my favorites... "I didn't see it, but I'm glad you know how to behave" and "I don't think you need to worry about that."

Those were the answers they told us to use at camp when we had un-important tattlers. (The other 2 answers were "How could you handle that?" and "Thanks, I'll take care of that."). I've used the first one, and it always gets a REALLY funny expression... ;)

14. Cole

Cole Companion

Aug 28, 2005

I stole the stuffed animal idea from a kinder teacher 2 years ago when i had a problem with tattleing...this year is worse than i've EVER had it, so apparently i'm going to have to take my stuffed dog back up to school..

15. jcg

jcg Cohort

Aug 29, 2005

I also use the tattling or reporting method. Did it hurt someone's feelings or physical being, is it happening over and over, is something broken or destroyed or are you trying to get someone in trouble. Kids know the difference if you use the words.

16. jcg

jcg Cohort

Aug 29, 2005

I forgot to add that I have a I Don't Know Box that kids can put sliips of paper in if they can't decide.

17. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2005

I also use the "tattling" and "reporting" method. We discuss what is a tattle, getting someone in trouble, and report, something I need to know, like is someone hurt. We role play over and over until I feel the kids understand it. Then when someone somes up to tattle I say "Is this a tattle or report?" If it is a tattle they usually just walk away. It works great!

18. CRD3

CRD3 Rookie

Aug 29, 2005

Thanks for all the ideas. We had our open house tonight--busy group! I hope to get a handle on the tattling! Thanks again!

19. kburen

kburen Cohort

Aug 29, 2005

With the younger ones that I've worked with as well as the older ones we went by the rule..."Is anyone being hurt, could be hurt, bleeding, or dying?" If not I don't wanna hear it, if so tell me.

20. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 29, 2005

"Is someone hurt, sick or in serious trouble? No? Well, then I know you can handle it. Be sure to come tell me how it went."

21. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 30, 2005

I phrase it"are you telling to get someone in trouble or are you telling because they are doing something unsafe?" this normally gets them thinking and I don't have to do any refereeing. I'm liking the other ideas here too. Lots of creative teachers out there!!!

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2005

wow what great ideas! I was wondering how I was going to handle the tattles when I finally have my class.

23. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Aug 30, 2005

We used the "danger rule" in kindergarten...only tattle when someone is in danger. In fifth grade I still used the danger rule and added I didn't want to hear tattling unless they were tattling on themselves...that worked well too!:) We also did random acts of kindness where students told on others for good things they did. :) Hope this helps!

24. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Aug 30, 2005

Ooh thanks....

I sure needed to read that because my 1st graders tattle all day long! And its not so bad until you're trying to have a teacher station and they bust in on your teacher time with other children like they are the only ones in the room and everyone should stop what they are doing to listen to them. :confused:

25. jcg

jcg Cohort

Aug 30, 2005

I like all your ideas on how to rephrase things. Thank you!