TATTLETALE!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Doublescoop, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Nov 10, 2007

I have a little girl in my first grade class who tattles CONSTANTLY! The other day I kept a mental tally and she was at 10 before lunch! As I do with my classes every year, I read a story about the difference between tattling and telling (ie. your goal is to help not to get someone in trouble). I have reminded and reminded that unless someone is sick, hurt, or in danger, it is something they can handle. I taught and we role-played "3 strikes": 1. tell the person in a firm voice to stop, 2. threaten to tell the teacher, 3. tell the teacher. Now I'm just MAD when she comes and tattles. There have been times when I've heard the other child apologize and she comes anyhow. As well, she has come in after recess and tattled on someone who already got in trouble with another teacher. She always begins her tattling with, "I gave ___ 3 strikes" and...blah blah blah. Needless to say the other kids are starting not to want to be around her. Any suggestions before I pull my hair out?

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 10, 2007

She is getting what she wants from you - attention! emotion! Here is what I do. At first, I will help them out by the reminder question: Is anyone bleeding? NO? Go play.

Next step, tattletattletattle, the respose is "Oh." very bland.

After a few times of this, I just use body language. Turn the body away from the tattler. Start talking to someone else. Smile and compliment another child on something like their shoes.

4. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Nov 10, 2007

Here are some ideas I have heard of trying. Create a quick form for the students to fill out when they have something they need to tell you. By having to write it down, maybe it won't be as fun and they will stop the unnecessary tattling. Your students are in first grade and may have a hard time writing, so you could set up a tape recorder for them to talk into. I didn't let my students come and talk to me about recess problems until the next recess. Usually by then they had forgotten that they had something to complain about. Hope these ideas help give you some inspiration. Good luck!

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Nov 10, 2007

I had a tattler last year. I started with giving her 5 "tattle tokens." She could only tattle with a tattle token. We gradually worked her down to 1 tattle token/day.

6. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 10, 2007

I'm having this problem with my students starting to say bad words. Now I have never heard any of these, but it WAS happening with one student. Now after a parent conference and some intervention that student no longer uses 4 letter words, but some students always come and tell me that other students are saying bad words or sticking up their middle finger...the other students deny this and claim that person is trying to get them in trouble. I feel wrong punishing something that I'm not sure really happened???

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Nov 10, 2007

My kindergarten class had Tony the Tattler. He was a stuffed tiger and he would eat all the tattles. If a student just had to tell on someone, they could tell Tony. They could only tell me if they had been physically hurt or if someone else was physically hurt. The couple of kiddos that were really bad, eventually got tired of talking to Tony and it stopped.

8. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Nov 10, 2007

I have a Comment Can in my classroom. The kids write either compliments or tattles on a piece of paper and stick it in the can. We go through the can every Friday morning, and I read the pieces of paper. The kids get to keep compliments about them, and I just read the tattles anonymously - no names, but I always encourage the kids to "think about that... could that be about you??"

Anyway, whenever someone tries to tattle, I cut them off and tell them to put it in the Comment Can if it bothers them that much. We've talked about the difference between tattling and an emergency situation in which they SHOULD tell the teacher.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 10, 2007

Somewhere (probably on here) I heard about the Tattle Toad... frog you tattle to... "Go tell the Tattle Toad". I had a goofy looking frog pic on the wall. I would point them in that direction.

Then someone mentioned "Go tell the president." Put a pic of the president up on the wall, have them go tell him.

Sorta a nicer way of saying "talk to the hand" LOL

10. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Nov 11, 2007

Doublescoop,
    What story did you read your kids? I have the same trouble with tattlers in my K class. I really liked the other ideas, and I would like a story to read to go with implementing the other ideas.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 11, 2007

A lot of our 3's and 4's are into that right now... when our classes are out together, it's about all we hear. I've started interrupting them with "I someone hurt?" (no) "Then go play" or "Tell me what YOU are doing." The second one always gets them.

When I was working at summer camp, our training book had 4 responses for tattling/telling... "thanks, I'll take care of that," "I don't think you need to worry about that," "how could YOU handle that?" and, my personal favorite, "I didn't see it, but I'm glad YOU know how to behave." That last one got the BEST responses from kids...

12. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Nov 11, 2007

I would like to know the name of the story, too. My K kiddos are awful with their tattling. I think that Tattle Toad/Tiger idea is great and I think I will get something like that!

13. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Nov 11, 2007

I have heard of a teacher that cut out a giant ear and taped it to the wall. She told me that the students were excited at first to go talk ot the ear. She said the excitement wore off much faster than when she tried a stuffed animal in the past.