Tattle Telling

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ms.Titwillow, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Ms.Titwillow

Ms.Titwillow Rookie

Oct 4, 2010

I have 2, 3, and young 4 yr olds and one or two serious tattle tellers. She is unrelenting in tattling on others who are getting out of line, not using soap when washing their hands, not washing their hands, etc., etc. The only thing we, the teachers, tell her is Sally, You aren't the Teacher...Pay Attention to what Sally is Doing...Just worry about yourself. None of that seems to help. If they were older I would use Go Tell the Ear (giant poster of ear on wall) but it would be too disruptive to have her do this and she would just LOVE to be excused all the time to do this anyway. Any ideas?

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Oct 7, 2010

I would just say to Sally, "Thank you for telling me" and end the conversation there. She is probably at the age where she is beginning to understand right from wrong and other children's wrong doings are really apparent to her.

4. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Oct 8, 2010

I agree with EDUK8_ME. i would probably just acknowldege her and leave it there.

5. brightsky351

brightsky351 Rookie

Oct 12, 2010

You could try redirecting the conversation when she tattles. You could say, "Mary" did you do a good job washing your hands? Did you use soap? Good for you!

If she continues to tattle you can try saying, "did you do the right thing?" "Let me worry about the others. You go to the reading corner etc.

I have found these tactics to work with certain students.

6. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Oct 12, 2010

I have pre-kinders. I ask:

Are you hurt?
    Is your neighbor hurt?

Then I don't need to hear about it.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 12, 2010

I copied this from another teacher: make a Tammy TattleTale. I drew a cartoonish life-sized girl with wide eyes and a open mouth - looks like she's shocked.

Anytime a child has something to tell you about another child they need to go tell it to Tammy instead. You want to know about anyone who is hurting someone else or is hurting the school. Tammy wants to know about everything else.

It worked wonderfully. Until my biggest offender, who was able to be upset about the injustices of the world because he was so smart, realized a very important fact: Tammy isn't real. She doesn't have a brain so she doesn't really care what you say. More importantly, she can't do anything about it. @@ I was able to get a few months out of it at least.

8. mellowred

mellowred Rookie

Oct 13, 2010

In addition to the other great advice, here is another tactic, some work with one and not another. "Did you remind them of what they needed to do?" or some other way of reminding the child that they have the power to remind people of correct behavior. If "no" then a reminder that they can do that, if "yes" then a simple thank you.

9. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Oct 13, 2010

I usually just say something to the point of "Well we know we shouldn't do that because (explanation)." and then redirect it by asking them "What are you doing now? Shouldn't you be (and then talk about what they should be doing such as cleaning or setting their place for lunch, etc)?

If it is to the point where it is continuous (such as the child trying to take control of the group by telling others what they should/should not be doing) I would have a talk with her by herself and discuss with her behaviour as many times as it takes. Not an angry discussion, just a normal chat. I just think it is better to not do it in front of the other children since the conversation is for her and her only.

10. Kaylee hutton

Kaylee hutton Rookie

Oct 18, 2010

I have a home daycare with a few children part-time and full-time. My issue is with the 4 4 and 5 year olds who constantly tattle on each other over stupid little things. It is driving me nuts, they are best friends one minute and the next complaining that someone hit, took a toy, won't share etc. They don't try to work out anything among themselves, and the second someone does something, they run to tell me. Please help me before I scream and I really don't want to do that! Help...........

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 19, 2010

I say, "If you know what they are doing that means you are not doing your job. That is taking care that you do what you are supposed to do."

I tell kids only to tell if what the other child is doing if the answer is yes to any of these questions.

1. Can it hurt them?
    2. Can it hurt someone else?
    3. Is is hurting/damaging property?
    4. Is there someone you don't know by or at the school? (stranger danger)

12. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 20, 2010

Puppet show

You could have a puppet show about tattling showing the correct way to behave. I know that if I let my three year olds practice a situation using puppets sometimes they get the message. I let every child take a turn with a puppet showing me the correct behavior.