Tattle Forms...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

Has anyone ever used a tattle form in their classroom? I would like to start this in my new classroom because I know my kiddos have a problem with this. I want to make sure that, since they are 5th graders, they know what is important to tell a teacher and what is not. Does anyone have any experience with this?

3. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 28, 2009

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2009

At the last school I was at, they were huge into Continuous Improvement. One of the things with CI is an Issue Bin, sort of like a Tattle Box, but it dealt with all issues in the room. I had post it notes right underneath mine. Students used the sticky notes to write whatever issues they had. During different times of the day, we would discuss the issues in the "bin". At the beginning of the year though, we discussed what was appropriate to but on the bin and what was not.

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

The Tattling Turtle would be a great idea in a younger classroom but I'm pretty sure the 5th graders would be insulted. I'll google Responsive Classroom and Continuous Improvement and see what I get.
    I really want to get the tattling under control at the beginning of the year!

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 28, 2009

I like the sounds of an Issue Bin. What do you tell the kids it's for?

7. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

I think I'll buy an inexpensive stuffed turtle and go with that theme! (Kindergarten)

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 28, 2009

I like the idea of the Tattling Turtle so now I'm working out a plan to cover a box with paper and decorate it like a control panel with a communication portal (slit) to tie in with my space theme. I have an old phone headpiece and a few other goodies to help make it look pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the link!

9. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 28, 2009

OMG! I saw that tattling turtle about a week or so ago. So I just typed up my own. I cannot wait to use it! I love it for K! That is the best idea for little ones. I really love it. How cute! Great ideas here! Thanks for sharing- I cannot wait to read the article.

10. smalltowngal

Jun 28, 2009

I just tell them its for issues that creep up in the classroom during the day (issues w/ a lesson or group work, issues in recess, at lunch or specials), and some for tattling, major issues, not 'he hit me, she's sitting too close'.

11. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jun 28, 2009

I bought the Tattling Turtle and my kids loved it!! I taught first grade last year and I must have heard tattling 20-30 times A DAY! It is sooo annoying. The poster that comes with it explains when to tell the teacher. My first graders could read some of it so I made sure I introduced the turtle to them and fully explained when they should tell me things. It comes with index cards for them to write to the turtle. It was so hilarious to read what they wrote on those cards.

I did, however, have to stop letting them write on the cards because I would notice a line of 10 kids who all wanted to write to the turtle. Now that I'm moving to third grade I hope I don't have to use it but if I do, I will pull him out. It's worth the $20!

12. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

So if you were going to make a form of your own, what would you put on it?
    Name?
    Who your issue is with?
    What was the issue?
    Why do you think it's important for me to know?

13. smalltowngal

Jun 28, 2009

Maybe add possible solutions?