Target tabletop pocket charts...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teach24iam, Jul 18, 2010.

1. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I was just at Target and in the dollar spot (actually 2.50) they have these tabletop pocket charts...anyone have suggestions on what they may use them for? I may go back and get a couple if I can think of what to use them for... They are basically a pocket chart type thing that sits up on a table with two sides and a bottom, just didn't know what to do with them..any suggestions?

3. mshummel

mshummel New Member

Jul 18, 2010

I got one too and was having the same dilemma about what to use it for!!

4. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I think the woman at Target in the section thought I was crazy, because I stood there staring at it for like 10 minutes, trying to figure out what to use it for..I think the problem I have is that the pockets are not clear, so it's limited in what the kids could see or use it for....hmmm...

5. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

If the pockets are not clear, maybe it could serve as some come of storage device for a center. Does anyone have a pic of it?

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2010

They were trying to sell them on Ebay and they used the large index cards. If you write at the top of the index card, it works like a sentence strip.

7. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I can see that, so maybe some kind of mini-word wall for the tables for activities with that...

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

Or you could use it with a guided reading group.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2010

You could use rectangular letter cards to make a "word work" chart, as long as the letters (punctuation, whatever) were at the top of the rectangle - I bought one of them and hope to make good use of it, lol.

10. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

wish they would of made the pockets clear... would be much more useful...

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 18, 2010

too true...

12. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 18, 2010

I haven't tried it out yet, but I got one yesterday and was thinking for using it as some type of word work center as others have suggested. Maybe if you turned regular index cards vertically and wrote words on the tops then you could use them to make sentences and such.

13. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Jul 20, 2010

I got a few of them as well and was thinking the same thing... I realized they could hold books in the pockets so I thought I might be able to use them as interest/learning centers. Place a book or two about a topic and a task sheet in it - I could make one side more advanced and the other side grade level or lower level but on the same topic. They look like they store easily and can be displayed easily as well! I am sure we will all find some more uses for them!

Also thought I could turn them into a game like Guess Who - maybe Guess My Number

Or... (sorry I am brainstorming right now)... why not use them as grammar/spelling practice. Write all the words on large notecards and have them sort them in rows according to a pattern or rule

14. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

What if you used them for a vocabulary match type game? Have two sets of index cards for this. Set A would just have the words on them and the kids would get these. Set B would have the definitions to those words, along with the actual word at the bottom.

Slip Set B into the pocket charts so that the pocket itself covers up the word and all that can be seen are the definitions. Have kids select a card from Set A and then attempt to pick out the matching definition from Set B.

You could do this with math facts, too. Set A would have the answer while Set B would have the math fact (or vice versa).

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2010

Great ideas, S Dubb!

16. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 25, 2010

I'm still looking for these at my local Target...hopefully they will put some out soon!

17. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

There were tons at my Target but I just felt it would be a waste of money. Sometimes I see stuff and just because it is made for "teaching" I feel I have to have it. But I couldn't think of any ways to use it.
    Plus I have one that is clear. I don't even use it.

18. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

I grabbed one. I used those plastic sticky hooks and hung it up on my door. It displays which specials we are going to for the day. A clothespin points to which specials we will be attending.