TARGET has lots of teacher stuff!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sweet2Teach, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

In case you have not heard on the forum, Target has lots of great teacher stuff in their dollar section:D I bought a lesson plan book, grade book, name tags, incentive charts, pencils, scratch paper, and a great job chart! All for $1 each!! Happy shopping:)

3. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 16, 2007

I got a pocket chart and boy/girl restroom passes there, too! :)

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 16, 2007

The target I went to didn't have their stuff out yet! :(

Maybe this coming weekend!

5. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I've been checking every day in NJ....only pocket charts (I bought 5) and passes (I don't need them). I'm dying for the rest to come in. I'm on a mission.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Speaking of lesson plan and grade books, do your schools supply them? If they do, and you don't like them, can you purchase your own or will you still have to keep up with "theirs," to turn it in at the end of the year?

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

My school supplies them but I make up my own lesson plan template for the week and just keep running blank ones. I punch holes and place them in a loose leaf binder. By the end of the year it is pretty thick. I find there is not enough room in the small boxes to write what I want to write.

8. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jul 16, 2007

my school supplies our lesson/grade book but we do not have to use them. We just tell them we have our own and turn it in at the end of the year. They save the one we did not use for the next year to give to someone who will use it.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Thanks for answering! Second question: Please describe the perfect lesson and/or grade book for you. I really have no idea what is out there, and would like a glimpse!

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2007

Sale Items from Target's Sale Paper 7/15 - 21/2007

Stretchable Jumbo Fabric Book Covers 2 for $1
    Portfolios 2 for $1
    Fashion notebooks; 12-count Mirado pencils in black or yellow; 64-count Crayola crayons with built-in sharpener and free mini twistable crayon 2 for $3 -- NO LIMIT
    16-count AA or AAA; 8-count C or D; and 4-count 9-volt Duracell Batteries $7
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (at release) 17.99
    3-tier rolling cart $10
    3-pack Kleenex tissues $4
    Febreeze air fresheners 2 for $5
    That's all I saw in the weekly ad that looked like a teacher might be interested! Enjoy!

11. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 16, 2007

last year I got all kinds of cool turquoise and purple stuff in the $section. BUT my friends in other parts of the country didn't have the same stuff.

So I think that the same things aren't everywhere at the same time.

12. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

well the pocket charts hadn't made it to the target near me yet. I am hoping that they will be there soon. From the description that you all gave it sounds like they would be perfect for the Word Work center and the Vocabulary center. I did get the states and presidents flash cards, the math flash cards and the incentive charts though.

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2007

Has anybody been to the Target in Middletown, NY, or Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY? I may have the opportunity to get to one of those this week -- is the teaching stuff in yet?

14. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

My Target had their stuff out last week. Then they had more stuff out this week. I got 2 children's books (on about a farm and ten little monkeys), name tags (to go with my jungle theme), dividers for binders (10 for $1). I'm going back to get some self stampers (hopefully they are still there!). Curious, what are you going to use the pocket charts for? They were so small I didn't know what I could do with them so I didn't get any.

15. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Mine just put more stuff out, the self inking stamps, pocket charts, apple scented ink pads, weekly to do pad, erasers, pencils, markers, foam teaching clocks, counting animals, math bingo, binder reference pages, more enrichment idea books, note pads, organizing dodads, and more!! Some one on another post mentioned mini-globes, I will be looking for them!!!!!!

16. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 18, 2007

My Target still didn't have this stuff on Sunday, so I sent my mom to her Target in Kansas City and she found a lot of dollar items for me! I am so excited!

17. devama

devama Companion

Jul 18, 2007

i went to target on sunday! thanks for the tip! i was so amazed at the selection and i spent a LOT in the dollar bins!

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2007

Something I haven't seen anyone talk about yet are the prompt idea books. There are 4 different ones where the kids can flip and make a funny prompt to write about. You can't beat that for a buck!

Also bought a bunch of pencils, erasers, smelly good stickers, and 4 charts. Do not need them, but got them anyway lol. I will find a use I am sure :)

19. Sweet2Teach

Sweet2Teach Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

The prompt writing ideas are awesome! I picked some of those up as well! The pocket charts are small, but I bought 2- One to display the daily agenda(hopefully it is big enough for that) and the second I thought I might display current concepts we are working on. I teach K, so I might display recent sight words, weekly color and number words, and whatever else I can think of. Any other ideas??
    To all of you who have had no luck, I hope it comes in soon:)

20. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I write the vocabulary words (from each Open Court story) on sentence strips. I plan to velcro the pocket charts to the cabinets so that all I have to do is pop the cards in and out after each unit.
    (Don't you love how I used the word velcro as a verb!:D )
    [​IMG]

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

Ohhhh that is a good idea. I have cabinets I can do that on too :)

22. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 19, 2007

Yeah i got those too, I think I had put in a another post somewhere, but aren't they great!!!!

I also found some writing prompt workbools at the Dollar Tree!!!

23. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Jul 19, 2007

Yay! My target FINALLY has their teacher stuff out. When I walked in, I was so excited. I got lots of stuff. Also, I hope everyone noticed the dictionaries and Thesauruses on sale at the Target dollar spot for 50% off. You can't beat 50 cents. The print in the dictionaries is rather small, but the thesauruses seem like they will work well.

24. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 20, 2007

Finally....Target has teacher stuff

My Target store had been teasing us with just a few things out. I am in that store every day anyway, so I've been going crazy with anticipation. Today, I hit paydirt! They had everything that everyone has been posting and especially lots of goodies for my treasure chest. I didn't see the containers with a place for names. Has anyone else?

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 20, 2007

I haven't actually SEEN the pocket charts because there aren't any here, but I've heard other teachers talk about students using them in vocabulary centers and such. In other words they would have their own small pocket chart to manipulate and move things around in.

26. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 20, 2007

I finally got to Target today and ours had precious little out. But I'd made such a haul at the dollar store, I didn't mind much ;)

27. sunshine73

sunshine73 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Anyone in FL know if the Target stores have the teaching items out yet?

28. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I found some $10 pocket charts in the school supply section. Are there $1 pocket charts????

29. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

You can put flashcards or such and play Memory or Concentration.
    I use it for Spanish vocab. You can print clip art or cut out pictures to paste on a card or construction paper large enough for the class to see, then the printed word to match.
    It is also good for Jeopardy.