Target find

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by LvToyFoxTerrier, Jul 7, 2008.

1. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

At Target today I found these cute candy tins that I discovered would be the perfect size to hold 24 crayons. They would hold up well and each child could have their own crayons that way. They were in the $1 bins! They should last for several years.

3. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

That is a really cute idea! I saw those, but didn't think of using them for crayons...I guess I'll head back to Target. :)

(I had bought some similar tins to use in centers. I think I got the idea from someone on this site... You put index cards with sight words on them in the tin, and then kids use magnetic letters to spell the words on the lid of the tin.)

4. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I didn't see those at our Target!!! I did get however, mini globes! They are good hands-on and kids can look at them and get a feel for a globe. I love the dollar bins at Target! I also got pocket charts there.

5. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I got a pocket chart as well. Do you know what your going to use yours for yet Kinderkate? I havent decided yet.

6. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Jul 7, 2008

I've been to our Target a bunch of times now and still haven't run across those pocket charts!! Maybe next time...

I did get one of those mini-globes that I thought would be good to put in a social studies/science center. For something that size and that price, it is surprisingly detailed and accurate. Sometimes on cheap maps you get horribly misshapen countries or they even leave countries out (one time I saw a cheap globe that was missing Saudi Arabia!).

I also got a couple of those magnetic note paper pads. I'm going to put them out in the writing center for something different to write on.

7. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I am going to use mine for high frequency words that go along with the stories we read. We just got a new reading program that has certain sight words for each story, and they are kind of like the vocabulary, so that's what I am going to use them for. I only need one for that I guess, but I bought three, one in each color! I don't know what I'll use the other two for!!

8. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I just went to Target this evening and all I could find were the magnetic notepads, plain looking nametags, and wooden hall passes. I am sooo bummed!:down:

9. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

I am off to Target tomorrow! I will be looking for the bins. I was able to get a lot of Curious George stuff one time for my take home back packs.

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2008

I didn't find mini-globes, tins, or pocket charts at mine! I am wondering what size the pocket charts are...I bought three last year, and it seems like the clear plastic lip was too small to hold anything but smaller strips of paper...they just curled over :(

11. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Jul 8, 2008

Sent you a PM.....

12. shandannon1

shandannon1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I was able to find some pocket charts at my Target. I will use mine for sight words. I also found a few cute signs. One says "Eyes On Me" and the other "Raise Your Hand."

13. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2008

I am so glad that I re-visted Target tonight...for a different reason...I found the mini-globes, and they refilled other things. There were workbooks, puzzles, and "star student" certificates... I stocked up!

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

well; I'm going to Target tomorrow!

Last year, Target had the mini patriotic flags in their dollar bins. Before July 4th; they had 3 mini flags for a $1 - after July 4th, the flags were still there, so I talked to a manager and asked what the markdown would be since it was after the holiday...I got them half priced...6 for $1!!! My students LOVED them! We used them every morning (second semester) while singing our daily Patriotic song!

15. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 8, 2008

TeacherC im glad you found all that stuff!

I didnt see any puzzles...oh well.

Does anyone know where to find some good/low priced puzzles for kinder?

16. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I also got a lot of puzzles from Target. But I've gotten some at Big Lots, Dollar Tree, and flea markets. Dollar Tree had a lot of big 100 piece puzzles that seem fairly easy. Big Lots had a lot of board puzzles also!

17. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2008

kinderkc,
    Last year I got some really good puzzles from Walmart, they were large floor puzzles that had numbers, the alphabet, and I think one was shapes. My kids loved them; they were pretty cheap, like $5 each or so. Good luck hunting!

18. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

In love with Target!

Since this will be my first year teaching kindergarten, I stocked up at the Target $1 section. I love it! Although, like other posters, I haven't seen the pocket charts or the book bins. But I am considering driving 40 miles to the other nearest Target to check out their $1 section. Haaa, I haven't even recieved my first paycheck, and it's already waaaay past spent. You gotta love teaching. :) :wub:

19. map

map Companion

Jul 9, 2008

I found transportation stamps, bookmarks, shapes/abc foam letters with a peel and stick back. and birthday awards today! I also bought a large plastic microphone to use during calendar time for 1.99 in the toy dept. What a deal!!!

I am looking for colored dishpans. Has anyone seen any?

20. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Does anyone know if the tag on the pocket chart is a "card scheduler"? There is a spot on the dollar bin at our Target that says "card scheduler" and I'm thinking that might be the pocket charts...but I haven't seen any yet. I'm so bummed! :(

21. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

That's it!! That's what all of my pocket charts said

22. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Went to Target yesterday, bought stamps/stamp pads/organizer/books (Mother Goose and Jack and the Beanstalk)/and some CUTE clocks that are dry erase boards on the bottom....I LOVE that section!!!!

23. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I took a little trip to Target this afternoon; I was a really good girl and purchased just one item for school...the CLASSROOM HELPER BANNER. It has 7 job pockets, 4 blank pockets and 25 star cards. Yeah!

I got myself the apple notepad w/magnets on the back. There was also a cute apple magnet. This looks good on my fridge as I have an apple theme going on in my kitchen.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Does anyone know if Dollar Tree has any leftover 4 of July items??? Just wondering...I forgot about checking; those items could be used during the Presidential election; well, I still have my July 4th stuff which I completely forgot about!

25. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I was at one of my local Dollar Tree two days ago, and they had a few items, but no flags. Mainly cups/plates and that sort of thing. But I'm sure every Dollar Tree is different. :)

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Thanks Busybee; I just might make a trip to the Dollar Tree.

27. kinderkate

kinderkate Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

Our Michael's had a lot of left over July 4th stuff. They also had Halloween stuff out ALREADY! Crazy!!

28. LA-4

LA-4 Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

My Hobby Lobby has Christmas stuff out already! They are really rushing things:eek:

29. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Went to Walmart to stock up. But I also found something called an iFlops. You may have heard or seen them but I have not. It is an animal (mine is a frog) that you can plug your iPod into and it acts like a stereo. Now the sound was not that great but it will work for my classroom.