Tardy Policy Advice...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Apr 26, 2011.

1. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Apr 26, 2011

Hey Guys-
    So looking for some outside brains to help with something. I work at an alternative high school with a very limited staff - one math teacher, social teacher, english and science teacher, gym teacher, 1 counselor, 1 principal... you see the picture. 13 total staff members - with 100 kids in the school - half are alternative kids, half are ESL kids new to the country. So, we are trying to figure out a good tardy policy. The current one is, if you are tardy, you go to the office, get a pass, and head back to class - therefore missing more class and avoiding your problem - with no real consequences. We don't have the staffing for ISS or anything like that, and wondering if anyone has any other options for a tardy policy to implement? I would appreciate the advice!!
    Thanks!

3. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 26, 2011

In the past, a school of mine had a policy where any student with more than three tardies in the same class would be given after-school detention. The teacher had the option of assigning a specific assignment for that student to complete during detention. I thought it was a good policy. Unfortunately, if you don't have any teachers to monitor after-school detention, it may not work. Instead of after-school detention, could students participate in silent lunch?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

I like the silent lunch idea, we did this in my old school with limited staff.

Could the teacher have the student fill out the pass in class and then submit these to the office at the end of the day (or have another student bring it to the office).

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 26, 2011

You could have a sign-in book with a clock next to it. The student must sign in late with the time he or she finally made it to class. Add up the minutes at the end of the week. The student can make up the accumulated time at the teacher's discretion (lunch, free period). This policy would eliminate further disruption to the learning process.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 26, 2011

When i was student teaching, we had a 30 min. detention after the 4th tardy - policy. I had a student in my class, whose father (and mother) was very supportive, but also vocal about having his voice heard. If he didn't agree with something, you would definitely hear it, and maybe even administration would, too.
    So this boy started being tardy. My master teacher suggested that instead of assigning him the typical 30 minute detention, make him report to my classroom 15 minutes before the bell rings for 1 week. So he basically got an 1 hour detention :)) spread out over a week.

But this made more sense, and had no problems from the parent either.
    This didn't seem like a meaningless punishment, I explained to the parent that this is to establish good habits, during this week the student will get used to leaving the house at least 15 minutes early, and most likely won't have this problem again.

Both the student and the parents felt that he received a consequence, that was not just a punishment, it was designed to help him. And he wasn't late anymore.
    The deal was that if he wa late from any of these 15 minutes, then he would have 30 minute detention in addition, but that didn't happen.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 26, 2011

When I was in high school, after 3 tardies, you were on bus duty. That meant you had to scrub-I mean SCRUB-a bus. Blech. I did it once, and was never tardy again!

8. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Apr 26, 2011

You're kidding me right?

9. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 26, 2011

I think it's funny. I don't know how many schools could get away with that these days, though.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2011

Not my school's policy, but one of the most effective I've heard of: late students did not get to go to class, but spent the period sitting in the bleacher--no iPods, no cell phones, no talking, no reading, no sleeping--just sitting. Apparently kids were running to get to class on time after the third day of the policy being put in place. Of course, it does require the staff to supervise.

11. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 26, 2011

That is outstanding.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2011

After ten tardies, my school sends a note home. not much else.:(

13. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

Apr 26, 2011

Never understood the policy mentioned in the OP. Our school policy is three tardies counts as an absence for that class.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 27, 2011

Mmm, nope. That was it. And if you wanted to argue about it, you could do the inside and out. And if your parents wanted to argue, they could help.

I miss the good ol' days sometimes. I'm not particularly old, by the way. This was 1997.

15. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Apr 27, 2011

No way would you get parents to do that now. Shoot I can't imagine them letting their kids do it now either. I think it's a great idea though. They should help clean the school. It helps the school and teaches consequences.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 27, 2011

Oh, no way. Parents would have a fit.

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Apr 27, 2011

Our school does that. But since the kids have to be watched and instructed (by the janitorial staff), a lot of kids actually don't mind doing the work. They would much prefer it to sitting in a room silent with nothing to do except watch the clock and listen to the tick-tock.