Tardiness

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ms Odizzle, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Ms Odizzle

Ms Odizzle New Member

Oct 25, 2019

Hey guys,
    This year my 1st period class is having a major issue with being on time. At this point I've given up on scolding them as it has no effect. Also several of them are brought by their parents so it's not their fault really. I work in a district and area that has kids with a lot of ACEs and trauma, so scolding generally only has negative effects anyway.
    My question is really, what can I do in my classroom to make living with these tardies easier? Basically I have a large number of kids coming in anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes late. This leads to me having to re-explain, reteach, and often offer makeups after school so that students have an opportunity to reach their goals. I don't want to remove these opportunities because I want students to achieve mastery, even if they're late. Any ideas on ways to streamline the process of late students coming into class so that I'm not stuck helping them catch up as much later?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 25, 2019

Maybe set up an outline of what you'll be doing in class, so they can pick up whenever they enter the class. Nothing too fancy, but perhaps brief notes of the main ideas.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 25, 2019

I have to ask it -- have you contact their parents yet? I would make sure you have, and that you have documented it. Parents might not even realize they are being tardy, and even if they do, they might not realize that it is hurting them academically. (The old "is my child going to miss anything important" routine.)

Personally, if I contacted the parents, and the student still didn't get to class on time, I wouldn't put forth much effort "catching them up." I'd let the parents see the result of THEIR actions, which is a poor grade. If the student just isn't getting there on time, contacting the parent might fix the problem.

As to getting there 45 minutes late, in our district, they'd be counted as unexcused absent for that class and they'd get a zero. The person in charge of attendance should be notified so it can be reported to the proper authorities.

When you spend all this time trying to catch them up, what you are teaching them is that there are no consequences for being late. When this is reinforced, it becomes a part of their personality and sense of work ethic.

I realize there may be one or two cases of students whose parents just don't care, but honestly, at the secondary level, if the students want to succeed, they will put a great deal of pressure on their parents to get them there, or they will seek out other ways to get to school (riding with a friend, taking the bus, etc.)

2ndTimeAround and Backroads like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Oct 25, 2019

I have dealt with the same frustrating situation. Sometimes parents come through after you talk to them, but often they just have a habit of being late. I started writing on their papers: Came to class __ mins late when they got bad grades on assignments. Also, I"d write: AB ___ days.
    I spent many yrs feeling personally responsible for catching those types of kids up. I'd always put a paper on their desk in the morning. It would be a solid review ( not fluff) that took about 15- 20 minutes to do. That helped for some stragglers.
    The ones who came later, I'd find a time during the day when I could help or if they were so late that they missed all explanation of something new, I'd have someone who fully "got it" explain it to them.
    If they are young kids, they usually can't help the situation if their parents do not get up on time. Some kids though drag their feet too in the mornings.I had a kid once who wanted to come to school so badly every day that he'd somehow wake himself up and get his little sister ready. If Mom would not get up, he'd walk her to school. They were late almost every day of the yr. Just do your best. It is good you care. :)

6. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Oct 28, 2019

What are “ACEs” and what do you mean by “scolding”?

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 29, 2019

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  8. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 29, 2019

Time to get social services involved. Why hasn't the school done so at this point?

Surely, document the problem and contact the parent in multiple ways.

I disagree with punishing the student by letting the child fail academically if the student is young. It is different if it is a kid late during passing periods and was at school prior to the bells, but a young child who can't get to school without the parent, I think that sets the child up for a lifetime of failure for something the child doesn't have control over.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 29, 2019

Why are they late? Are they driving themselves to school and just getting to school late? Is someone driving them? In the district I worked in if a student was continuously late they had their school parking permit revoked and eventually had to take the bus.

10. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 29, 2019

What's the age group that we're talking about here? That could make a world of difference to the possible solutions. If they're elementary or middle school students, more than likely they're being dropped off by parents or possibly by bus. Less likely walking or bike riders.

I'd try to get admin and the parents involved. It might be something that the parents aren't aware of, or something that could be easily fixed. For instance I had a conversation with a parent yesterday whose child told them school started twenty minutes after the actual start time, so the student has consistently been twenty minutes late to school.

If it's something more complicated such as the bus being consistently late that's an issue that as a teacher you might not have the power to directly solve but you can get the people involved who do have the power. And it could be a legitimate reason such as sharing busses with another school.

In any event, you need to discover the why behind the tardiness, and it will vary from student to student, so each student may require a unique solution. (I.e high school students driving themselves to school being late would be different from a bus routinely being late).

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 29, 2019

I assumed it was a high school class.