Tardies with no tardy bells

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MathManTim, Aug 17, 2009.

1. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 17, 2009

Our school has no tardy bells!

Given each teacher's clock is no doubt going to be off by 45 seconds here, 1 minute 5 seconds there, etc. How should I judge a tardy? For example, my 9:00 class, I am thinking about waiting until 9:01 to mark someone as tardy.

Of course, I would never tell the students this.

Any suggestions?

G-Plus 11 hours, 55 minutes

MathManTim

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2009

You will figure out who the repeat offenders are pretty quickly. :D

4. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

I'm not sure what you mean by tardy bells. Our school has a warning bell, and then the bell rings to start class. Students who are not in their seats when the bell rings are late. Students come to class, but are not prepared to be there, they are late. That's how it works where I am.

5. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Aug 17, 2009

We have no bells at all.

G-Plus 13 hours, 45 minutes

MathManTim

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

My previous schools did not have bells. The teachers used cell phone time as the "official time." Most of the time they are in sync, with the satellites or whatever beams the signal to the phones.

7. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 17, 2009

We have no bells either, and I find it hard, especially when a kid is repeatedly late by a minute or two.

Last year I gave my kids a little bit of a break for the first few weeks, but by the 3 week of school, they should know how to properly manage their time.

8. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 17, 2009

We don't have bells either - drives me crazy. I usually let the kids slip a bit the first few weeks (I have 6th graders and they're just getting used to the transition to middle school) and then I usually consider them tardy if they're a minute late or more. They know better than to argue with me!

9. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 17, 2009

Have you checked to see if your clock is battery operated or is it hooked up to the front office? If it's controlled by the office, the times should be pretty consistent.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

The school I first worked in had "mods"-- 20 minute blocks that combined into 40 or 60 minute periods, with no bells.

But we did synchronize watches at the start of each day. As part of the AM announcements, they would say "the time is now 8:28. Please synchronize all clocks and watches."

As always, probably the best advice is to ask other teachers already in the system how they handle it.

11. historygrrl

historygrrl Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

We don't have bells either and I wish we did! Our main problem is teachers not paying attention to the clock and releasing kids late, which then affects other classes. We have clocks hooked up to the main office, yet they are always off in different classrooms. It is frustrating sometimes.

12. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

We have a dismissal bell and a class-is-starting bell. I am really not concerned about the kids that are a minute or two late. Some of them come from gym or some other far-flung region of the building and it would be unfair for me to penalize them for something that is beyond their control, assuming they are coming as fast as they can.

However. I start class with a preclass. If you come in when everyone else is halfway finished their preclass, then you're late. This may not work for everybody - some kids will notice that you're not doing anything about it and this invites late-creep - in a couple months class will start a good 10 minutes after the bell. But it works OK for me.

I'll offer a solution that my student teacher tried. On the door of the room she posted a late sign-in sheet. If you got there and the door was closed, you had to sign in. Period. Get your name on the list enough times and you have a problem. This could work for you - it means YOU get to decide when the door gets closed, and you don't really have to worry about looking at the clock all the time, which can be an advantage if you're having a busy day and are not quite ready for the kids (it does happen!) - you can just close the door and don't worry about the time. She found that after a few days of this the kids were all on time.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2009

I wouldn't depend on a cell phone having the right time. My boss and I ran into that discussion one year when her cell phone company and mine had different times (by a few minutes)!