Tape

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lola09, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Lola09

Lola09 Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Last year, all my posters fell throughout the year. I used the blue sticky stuff(not sure what it is called). Are there any recommendations of a certain tape brand that I should use? I am looking for lasting tape that does not damage the walls. Thanks!

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

Regular masking tape works best for me if the poster putty did not work for you.

If you are putting posters on a concrete/brick type wall, I would suggest using a hot glue gun. The glue peels right off and does not leave marks, however, I would not use it on a plaster-type surface.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

mauvalus tape is my friend. It works really well: sticks to just about anything including brick and cinder blocks, doesn't stain walls, pull finish off wood or paint from walls, holds so well that nothing fell until I took it off. The exception was at the beginning of the year when the humidity was hovering around 95%.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

The best recommendation is to ask your P and building staff what to use -- some schools have strict rules about not using tape or staples, only the TackIt or other sticky stuff.

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

I use I forget the name but it is thick and u cut the length u want its in a roll and looks like tape but isnt. It has paper on both sides to remove and its works great I havent had any problem with mine I got it at walmart. I have also used the small round velcro.

7. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

The only thing I had that worked on my concrete walls were those poster tabs by 3M...the ones that stick out of the sides and have a little arrow, you pull them up and off at the end of the year, and they didn't take paint off. My posers held up by masking tape fell at least once a week and I was climing on shelves to put them back up...I bet when I go back tomorrow they will all be gone!

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

I use packing tape for hanging everything and it works fine for me.

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

Do you mean the double sided tape that is foamy? That works really well and even holds up a small pocket chart I stuck to my wall.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2008

Double sided Duct Tape works very well. It did not take the paint of cinder blocks but it did take the paint off of my cupboards.

I am trying Mavalus tape this year as I have a different, freshly painted room with plaster walls. I haven't been there in 2 weeks, so I hope it held everything up!

11. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 17, 2008

I heard also Magic Mounts works very well and doesn't take paint off - I haven't used it but I have some to try this year.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 17, 2008

We had to use the Mauvelous tape our first year in our building. Things were falling down constantly. We began to use masking tape and things were staying up longer. We were told that the humidity in our rooms was affecting the tape. I've found that name brand masking tape works better than the cheap stuff they sell in the school store. Some also got brave and began using the 3M Command Hooks on their walls. It didn't damage them at all. All our rooms have one wall of cinder block, and we can put hot glue, tape, hooks, and velcro on it. Everything seems to come off it without damaging the paint. If you do hot glue to cinder/concrete, make sure what you're glueing is laminated. The non-laminated stuff is hard to get off.

13. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

i only use "strapping" tape...it is the tape with the tiny strings that you can get with the rest of the tape...works wonders and lasts a long, long time..and i have tried everything

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 17, 2008

I use different things depending on the material, but I like Stikki Clips (or however it's spelled)

15. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I use the double side adhesive foam tape on the cinder block walls. Everything I put up, stays up!!! My classroom has an evaporative cooler and this time of year, Arizona has the monsoon season so lots of humidity. The foam tape works!!!

16. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 17, 2008

P.S. It comes off easily at the end of the year and takes no paint off.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 17, 2008

But what about your posters, don't they get destroyed when you remove the tape? Or do you laminate everything?

18. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 17, 2008

Everything I hung last year was either for permanent display (ex. pledge, handwriting poster) or from the Saxon math program (all laminated but we get new ones every year.) I have limited wall space...not much room to change out posters through out the year.

19. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I just bought some of those poster tabs from Target...3M I think. It's all in the car for the trip to school tomorrow. I am so tired of things falling off the wall. I'm really trying to plan ahead and make those little annoyances not happen this year so I can focus more on the big issues.