tape, sticky tack question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starivy, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Jun 27, 2006

What type of adhesives are you using to display posters, welcome signs, etc.. on your walls? As a first year teacher, I want to know if I should be using something besides scotch tape!

Thanks!

3. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jun 27, 2006

Starivy, I'm also a first year teacher so I don't how much help my answer will be. But when I was student teaching my cooperating teacher used either fun tack, staples, or masking tape.

4. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jun 27, 2006

I use these white clips that have a sticky material on the back that the papers can slide into. Most teachers at my school (and most schools I've been to) use these. I'll try to remember what they are called...maybe somebody else knows what I'm talking about and can post the name! :)

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2006

I was just going to ask this question also. It is quite humid here in Georgia and my school turns off the air conditioner at 4 pm (if it is working) and everything falls off of my walls (cinder block). After winter break, Spring Break.... half of my wall displays are on the floor. I have tried packing tape, sticky taco, and hot glue. So far hot glue works the best, but my items still fall down. Any other suggestions? I have tried those white clips (I also don't know what they are called) but it doesn't work.

6. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

They are called Stikki clips and we use them at my school but I HATE them. I use a combo of wide masking tape and the clips. The combo works best for me on the cement block walls.

The clips also leave a wax residue that's very hard to get off! In someplaces the stikki clips have even taken the paint off of the wall and masking tape doesn't!

7. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

I use the double sided tape that is kinda spongey. 3M is one of the company that makes it. It is hard to take off once it is up but I only use a small squarre in each corner.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2006

I use that foamy sticky tape that doesn't pull paint off the walls.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2006

Duct tape!!! Don't get us started on its many uses!!!

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2006

They sell a tape at my teacher store called mavhalus (spelling is wrong I know). It works great, but is expensive.

I just use a ton of hot glue, and my industrial staple gun :)

11. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 27, 2006

I have also found it depends on the room. I have been in three different rooms at my school and I have to use different tings in each room. In one room, exactly the same as the other two, I couldn't get anything to stick to the cabinet doors! I have used all of the above for various displays. I also use push pins on some things that go up on the wall and might not stay up too long. Staples can be a pain to pull out.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 27, 2006

I use sticky tack for stuff I change regularly. The yellow seems to hold the best, but the blue stuff (made by Duck I think) comes off the easiest. I use Mavelous (I think I misspelled it too) works wonderfully on just about any surface. I've used in on brick, plaster, and wood. I only use it on stuff that will be staying up for a while because of the price though. I am able to reuse the tape two or three times before I have to pitch it because it's so good!

13. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jun 27, 2006

We can't use staples in our walls (district policy) because the paint comes off when you remove them and because of the holes they leave. However, using sticky tac (which is what we are suppose to use) also pulls the paint off and in larger chunks. I've used the 3m tape on the walls as well as on my white boards and it works well.

14. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 27, 2006

I use Duct tape and packaging tape to put things up on the cinderblocks. In fact I have a numberline (1-100) that has been on my wall for the last 3 years with packaging tape and never had to fix it yet, even in the HUMIDTY of NJ!!!!

15. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jun 27, 2006

Duct tape is great-but a word of caution. don't put in near the window in direct sunlight. When you peal if off it'll leave a nasty sticky residue that's really ahrd to get off surfaces.

16. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Jun 27, 2006

For items that I want to remain up all year, I use hot glue.
    It takes off less paint than the sticky clips, hangs forever, and uses far less.

Another bad thing about sticky clips is that they leave wax on the walls; so when the room finally gets a paint job, it will not paint were the wax once was!

When I student taught,
    the teacher used colored duct tape to frame writings on the walls.
    This looked fabulous, came off the wall well, but did not save the project.

17. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

My mentor teacher had cinder block walls and she used the glue dots that you can buy through Oriental Trading company and crafting places because we were NOT allowed to use hot glue. (Isn't it crazy how each school has different rules?) They never took the paint off the wall and you could re-roll them up and use them again. I found something online that I was wondering about but for the life of me I can not remember what it was called. :( It claimed it could be reused and would stick to any surface. You could buy it in huge squares for using it as a bulletin board or you could buy little rolls so that you could stick up individual items. If I can think of the name or find the site I will post it again. :)

18. Miz_Sanders

Miz_Sanders Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2006

I use masking tape or push pins. Staples are a pain in the butt.
    Proud2BA, when I had a room with cement block walls, I had these cork strips put up . I know what you mean about things falling off the walls. It was so aggravating! The cork strips worked...you just use push pins.

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2006

I haven't tried it yet, but my friend in another building swears by silicone caulking. You can get it at places like Lowe's.

21. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Hot glue worked best for me...when you want to take it down, its easy to get off (if its hard to get off, you can use a scraper, like to scrape paint of the walls-find it at any hardware store) And it is easy to put back up. I didn't have to redo any posters or work throughout the year of my student teaching!

22. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

My classroom has cynderblock walls. I use a hot glue gun. I have found that it works the best at keeping up my posters. Of course, I wouldn't use it on anything that wasn't laminated (unless I didnt need to save it)

23. MissV

MissV Companion

Jun 28, 2006

We were actually told not to use hot glue guns in our school because it pulls the paint off, BUT I have experimented with various hot glue guns and have found that the cheapo Walmart low temperature hot glue gun/glue will not pull off paint if the glue is in small dots of dabs. I think the "low temperature" part has a lot to do with it.

My room is so humid that stuff naturally curls if it isn't stuck down at all of the corners :( Sometimes I have to hot glue once or twice to make sure it is stuck. [I desperately need a dehumidifier]

24. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

The very best product I use is STRAPPING tape. I use Scotch brand strapping tape (red dispenser). I am in Kentucky (humidity) using it on all surfaces-block walls, metal, plastic.
    I haven't found anything else that compares. AND it doesn't leave any marks.

25. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2006

Is this the tape with the little threads running through it?

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2006

Proud, no, it's clear and very strong tape. I have bought it at the post office, but I think you can get it most places. I love it for repairing books.

27. DNordlander

DNordlander Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

I have used double-sided OUTDOOR tape. It's made to withstand outdoor conditions (rain, humidity, etc.). It is super-sticky, but easy to remove at the end of the year. This is the best stuff that I have found. It sticks to ANYTHING!

28. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jun 28, 2006

I have used sticky tack and masking tape. I like sticky tack the best. I haven't thought about using hot glue but I might give it a try this year. I have heard that some teachers like using rubber cement. I'm not sure if it works or not.