Tape on whiteboards?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Croissant, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

Ok so I have two white/marker boards in my room in addition to a smartboard (woohoo!), so I want to use one of them as a giant assignment calendar. I've seen teachers block these off with tape and leave it there all year. However, I don't want to discover at the end of the year that I've ruined the board! I know there is special whiteboard tape, but I don't want to fork out $7 for tape if I can avoid it.

Does anyone use tape on their whiteboards? Does it hurt the board at all? What sort of tape is the best to use? :thanks:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2011

You don't need special whiteboard tape. Electrical tape works just fine. I've used it for years. It doesn't leave a residue except along the edges once you pull the tape off, and that can be cleaned up very easily with board cleaner or even just water and a soft cloth.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

Yup, electrical tape is great. It even comes in colors. I wanted narrower lines, so I just split it by running the blade of a scissors up the middle. Mine has been on my board for at least 5 years.

5. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Jul 27, 2011

I used gift wrap ribbon to make an assignment board on one of my white boards. The ribbon was on a spool and was about 3/4 in. wide. I attached magnetic tape to strips of ribbon and then placed the ribbon on the board to create lines and boxes. It did not damage the board and I was able to take it down to wash the boxes when they needed be sprayed with whiteboard cleaner. I was also able to make the boxes bigger or smaller as needed. The ribbon was a plastic type which somewhat clung to the board.

I bought some of the brightly colored painter's tape to use on my wooden door, but it left a residue on the door so I would not recommend trying it on your whiteboard.

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

I did that once using painter's tape. No fuss, no muss at the end of the school year.

7. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

Painters Tape works well and it is in color to "livin" your board!

8. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

Ditto here :thumb:- I use the colored electrical tape. It has been up for 5 years - did change colors last year and it was no problem to remove/replace.

9. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 27, 2011

Walmart sells the electrical tape in a package with five colors for $2-$3. It also works well on cupboards!

10. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

I use electrical tape on mine, too, to divide it into sections. Works fine, stays up great, and comes off with no problem. And it's cheap!

11. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

Thank you!!! Electrical tape it is. Though, the mavalous stuff is tempting...I may be making a special trip to the teacher store tomorrow lol

12. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 28, 2011

great to know...I might pick up a pack.

I have used painters tape...Thats what's up right now :)