Tantrums

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderMissN, Sep 25, 2007.

1. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Sep 25, 2007

Hello! I am in week 5 of Kindergarten. The majority of my kids (all but one or two) have settled into the routine and are doing well following rules and procedures. I have one in particular who throws violent (and destructive!) tantrums. Have any of you had this problem before? How did you nip it in the bud? I have talked to Dad repeatedly. I don't want her to get expelled (as it is only week 5!), but I am afraid for her safety and the safety of the other children. Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you all in advance!:help:

3. KGTeach07

KGTeach07 New Member

Sep 26, 2007

I have one too!!!

It's my 5th week also and I have a child like yours... I have tried different approaches with him, the one that seems to be working at the moment is a behavior chart with a square for each activity of the day, if the activity goes smooth he gets a stickers... each week we make a goal and a reward for meeting the goal. So far this week it has been working, two happy faces this week!!!! I hope this kind of helps, also do a lot of positive reinforcement. Ohh everytime he throws one, once he has calm down and came back to the room we talk about his choices and making good ones and bad ones...

4. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Sep 26, 2007

Good idea! I may try that. I am willing to try and try and try. I'm ready to stop this problem.

5. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

If the child is throwing a tantrum to get attention, you should ignore it. I had a child like that last year and still this year. The key is consistency. After a few days, they will realize that you cannot help them if they are crying and you are not giving them the attention they crave while they cry. Also give them a lot of positive reinforcement and be patient. It took me 1 whole year last year to nip that behavior in a bud, but it was soooooo rewarding to see how it changed.

I have one this year that cries everytime he does not get his way. It's not even a real cry, it's more of a whine and scream, so I ignore him. As long as he does not hurt his friends nor himself, I tell him to kick and whine as much as he wants. He eventually gets tired of that and then asks me to play. Today, he got upset because he wanted to be line leader and threw himself on the floor. I had my line leader lead the line out the door, and he got up on his own!!! so he knows...

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 27, 2007

I had one student that transfered to our school on week three. He started throwing tantrums on week four. I made him go away from the group and we all ignored him. I didn't even have to teach the kids to ignore they just followed my lead. He had tantrums twice that week, twice the next week, one the following week and I haven't seen any since. We are on week nine now. So two weeks no tantrums!!!

7. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Oct 29, 2007

The first week of school I had a child throw a screaming tantrum because she did not want to participate in a game we were playing. From open house (before school started), I had been playing up the dreaded "Sad and Lonely Chair," and how it's too sad for me to even look at it. Basically it's time out in disguise, but the children view it however you present it. When she tested my authority I used my "mommy-daddy voice" not my "sweet teacher voice" and told her to march herself over into that very sad and lonely place. She did, and cried quietly and then joined the group when she was ready. I always give the children the option of returning when they are ready (after a min. or so) to follow the rules. This gives them a sense of responsibility for the choices they are making. I do not send kids there, they choose to go there.

PS - I am the one that's sad and lonely without them!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 30, 2007

I love the sad and lonely chair. I think I'll have to do that. I usually send my kids to the tables when they are disrupting group time. They can come back when ever they are ready to follow the rules. Even if the bottom just hits the chair and they turn around to come back, that is fine if they have stop disrupting the group.