Tanning Bed Anyone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, May 10, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 10, 2009

I've been in a tanning bed several times before vacations to get a little tan so I wouldn't be a red beet. But, there are some teachers on my campus who are going 4-5 times a week and they look like walking leather purses. Honestly, some are too old and it really makes their skin look thick, crusty-brown, and dry. I think they must have an addiction to them. I'd be worried about skin cancer too.

Just really wondering if this is a Southern thing or is it everywhere?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 10, 2009

It's not just a Southern thing...My 2 sisters used to tan all the time in their teens...My one sister has had several suspicious moles removed as an adult...scary..could be related to the tanning beds or not, but consider the following:

According to the University of Iowa:

"Studies have shown that people who used tanning beds before the age of 35, have a melanoma risk eight-fold higher than people who have never used them. Even occasional use almost tripled the chances. Using commercial lights also more than doubled the risk. Melanoma, with a suspected link to UVA exposure, is often fatal if not detected early.

A 2002 study of participants who used tanning beds, found increases in other types of skin cancer also. Those who use the tanning beds were:

2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma
    1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma and
    more likely to develop basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma, the younger they were when they began using these tanning devices"

So it may not be a Southern thing, but it's definitely a 'risky' thing. :2cents:

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 10, 2009

It happens here all the time. My friends daughter works at one so she has a tan all year long. When she gets older I am sure she will regret it. Her skin already (and she is only 21) looks weathered and worn. Her thoughts and my friends thoughts are you can't get skin cancer from a tanning bed.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 10, 2009

My sister is one of the worst people I know in regards to tanning. She's recently switched to a spray tan, but that just seems questionable too.

I really wish looking NATURAL would come back in style.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 10, 2009

Natural is in style with a little self tanner.

I have huge regrets of my tanning days both natural and tanning beds. Everyone should stay away from tanning beds. I have had 3 Moh's surgeries and one regular surgical removal of skin cancer (basal cell).

I am not fair skinned nor did I use the beds to the degree that some people do/did. Don't think it won't hit you until you're older either, I was 33 when my first one appeared.

Nope don't use them...ever :naughty:

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 10, 2009

I used to tan regularly in college. I was TOO tan, but that didn't stop me. I also used tanning accelerators, which speed up the process. It is so bad for you. There is no such thing as a safe tan. It makes me mad when these tanning companies adverstise and tell people it's safe because you don't burn.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 10, 2009

Oh yeah, the accelerators. Did that too.

9. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

May 10, 2009

On top of it being a dangerous habit, it's also quite expensive!! I have used tanning beds in the past ("only" bought four packages total in the spring of '04, '05, and '07), but was never addicted to them. I noticed that I never achieved a decent tan with the regular beds, so I'd "upgrade" to the higher-pressure ones. I decided last year, at the end of summer, that all tanning was going to stop because I saw a woman, about mid-40's, tanning at the beach with the nastiest weathered skin I've ever seen. I also saw quite a few people my age and younger who already have sun damage and wrinkles from obsessive tanning. In addition, I also decided that my moles and freckles really aren't as cute as I thought they were. Skin cancer freaks me out.

ANYWAY, back on topic: I don't think it's just a southern thing as I've seen more of the leather-skinned ladies up north than down here.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 10, 2009

Applying a lotion to darken the overall appearance of your skin is NOT natural. The only way it would be natural for me to have bronzed skin is if I got it working outside.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2009

I used to tan 3 days a week. I haven't tanned since last summer and even then it was only 3 times in 3 months. I think tanning should come from time spent outdoors with plenty of sunscreen on.

12. Apple125

Apple125 Rookie

May 10, 2009

I am a blue-eyed redhead, and I never went to tanning beds. I had my first skin cancer removed at 19. I've been extra careful my entire life, and I still have to have moles removed to be sent off for testing. It's not worth it! Yes, I'm jealous of all the people I work with who have the light (not scary dark) tans, but it's not worth it for me to go under the knife yet again. I'm only 27! Imagine what all these people are going to look like in 20 years!

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 10, 2009

I don't see why people think that looks good.

I've been super-white my entire life, and I"m just going to be that color. I'm too old for shorts anyway, so as much leg as shows with my skirts or capris isn't going to blind anyone. LOL

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 10, 2009

Tanning beds are a disaster in the making. For starters, who wants nasty, leathery skin? Also, hasn't anyone ever seen Final Destination 3? :eek:

Tans should be the result of natural sunlight + the outdoors + sunscreen. Even the sunless tanners and lotions are better than the tanning beds. Yick.

15. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 10, 2009

I tan year round... my HP lives in Cali, and if he wants me to come visit from Canada at the drop of a hat, I need to do it, or I come home red, blistered and peeling. Once I am as dark as I want to be I only tan once or twice a week to keep my colour and I sometimes take a break.

My tanning is also doctor recommended, because I suffer from eczema (well I haven't had that problem in years since I tan) and because I have a hard time with winter (lack of Vitamin D from the sun) and that really affects my moods. Tanning beds are not as dangerous as the cancer society would have us believe.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 10, 2009

My mom use to tan a lot when I was younger, and she would let me come with her before Spring Break to get ready for Florida. I burn TERRIBLY, so it helped a bit with that. But we both realized it's not all it's cracked up to be, and I stopped in college. She stopped around the same time. I am white as a lily year round, and often burn quite badly even with lotion, but so be it. I don't have the money, time, or want to risk the cancer.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 10, 2009

I don't use self tanners but I think it's a matter of opinion whether you can make it look natural or not. Some are much better than others.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 10, 2009

Oh, I didn't mean it wouldn't LOOK natural, I just meant it wasn't a natural process...and my original "wish" was that truly being natural and not wanting or feeling the need to apply lotion to make you darker would become more popular. :)

19. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 10, 2009

Yeah I know what you mean. When I wrote it was in style, I adjusted my post to add the tanner, b/c you are right, it isn't in style really with out the tanner.

The thing is I don't really care anymore what is in style or not because of what I went through.

I wish young people didn't waste their money on it because no matter how you slice it, it's bad. Unless you have eczema I guess.

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 10, 2009

Yeah I never got "tanning". I do like to sleep on the beach in the sun, but for the purpose of relaxing and enjoying the sounds and smells, not for tanning. I usually pile on sun block.

I just got some Faux Tan by Bare Minerals so we will see how that works.

21. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

May 10, 2009

I used to work with a girl that openly admitted tanning A LOT since the age of 13, she was about 20 when I worked with her. She was diagnosed with Melanoma and would be really dramatic about it. I found I couldn't really be apathetic b/c she severely exposed herself to the situation.

I have really pale sensitive skin. So I always have sunblock on over the summer. I always laugh that my tan is freckles. haha My excema also effects my skin as well.

I personally think tanning beds are gross.

22. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

May 10, 2009

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

23. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 10, 2009

I had itchy pussing sores all over my hands feet, and my arms and legs were red, irritated and dry all of the time without tanning. It was incredibly uncomfortable and unattractive. The only thing that made it go away (other then tanning) was a steroid that is incredibly bad for you - worse, in my doctor's opinion then tanning. Prednisone is incredibly bad for you and its the only thing that worked other than tanning.

24. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

May 10, 2009

My dad researched skin cancer for over 20 years. His opinion is that tanning beds are more dangerous than sunlight due to the fact that the UV rays are more intense. He actually told me he'd prefer I tan outside than in a tanning bed, which coming from him was really surprising!

What it comes down to is a tan is the result of your skin being damanged. My dad would point out how silly it is to think of a tan as a "healthy glow". Even though, I have to admit that I do like the way a slight tan looks. BUT there's no way I could ever use a tanning bed, I'd feel way too guilty!! :p

25. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 11, 2009

I spend a lot of my time on a fishing boat during the summer. I will fish for about 10 minutes without sunscreen, but after that I slather it on for the remainder of the day. I find that to get me just enough color to feel comfortable to wear shorts or a tanktop.

But, until summer, I'm super pale.

My HS students have prom in April. They start tanning over the winter holiday break for prom. Some of them look so gross in their gowns come prom night. And, every year, there is one girl (it changes each year) that WAAAAY over does it and you hear other girls talking about how "she is TOO dark."

26. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 11, 2009

To be fair I have been on prednisone for 20 years and I have been fine. It can have bad side effects but I would worry if my doctor said it was worse than tanning, especially if it is a small dose.

That being said my doctor also told me to go tanning, as I get rather sickly looking in the winter. But he said no more than once per two weeks just to jumpstart my health. I never went though, can't stand the smell!

27. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 11, 2009

I did used to tan when I was in college, before big events. I stopped because I have the patience of a small child, and just spent the whole time wondering when the timer would run out:) Not the relaxing thing I hoped for

28. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 11, 2009

I am getting my 4th mole on my back removed this week. I did tanning beds when I was younger not regular but def used them and I was never good about putting lotion on when I was younger. I am good now but well some damage has been done. I am looking into the spray tan. I still get tan when I use a high spf but I limit my time in the sun

29. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 11, 2009

I used tanning beds twice in my life (two series).

Once before my wedding - early June. My future husband and I were more concerned about me going down to the bahamas in the summer being Swedish-fair-skinned. Back then (probably when some of you were babes) the warnings weren't that intense. It was ok in small amounts.. I have a glow on my wedding day-but still burned on the honeymoon.

The next time was about 8 years ago. I was traveling to meet a friend and wanted to look... non-pasty. I had only a few days to get color...and stupidly thought...if 15 is good.. 45 will be great..and ended up looking like a lobster (and having a burn on my tail-bone).

Dumb!

Vowed--never again!

30. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 11, 2009

That's the thing - once you've been on it for that long, you can't stop taking it without dangerous side effects. That's why my doctor doesn't want me taking it.

2 tanning bed sessions, 10 - 15 minutes each a week are better for me then prednisone.

31. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 11, 2009

I am saying I have been on it very long and have had no side effects. And you can go off of it, I have gone down from a high dose to a very small one. I know many people who have done this. But different strokes for different folks:)

32. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 11, 2009

I'm glad it's not just me. Those teachers talk about how relaxing it is to go, I was so restless. I did tan a whole lot when I was a teen but that's been many moons ago. I'm out a lot in a ski boat in the summer but use as high of a sun screen that I can find.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2009

I love the sun.

But with blonde hair and blue eyes, I have to limit my exposure to it.

I'm certainly NOT going to give up any of my sun time so I can lie on a tanning bed getting a fake tan.

Besides, I've learned first hand that any sort of cancer is no fun at all. Time on a tanning bed is like starting to smoke... at this point we know the dangers. It's spitting in the wind.