Talking to parents about corporal punishment

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by illinoisteacher, Feb 14, 2007.

1. illinoisteacher

illinoisteacher New Member

Feb 14, 2007

Has anyone ever had to talk to parents about how they discipline their children at home? Yesterday a student told me his father hits him on the head and pinches and twists his ear when he doesn't do his chores. The social worker who consults with our school said to start by talking to the parents and suggesting other forms of discipline such as withholding priviledges when chores aren't done. I'm looking for advice on how to have such a conversation with parents. (The family is Filipino so there are cultural considerations as well.)

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

I have no advice, but good luck. It's a difficult topic...

Don't you think the Social Worker should be the one discussing it with the parents...... and not you.

4. illinoisteacher

illinoisteacher New Member

Feb 14, 2007

The social worker doesn't really work at my school - it's a small parochial school so we don't have the $$ - she basically consults with the administration once in a while.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

It's not your place to tell parents how to discipline children at home. Your best bet if you think abuse is happening is to call social services or talk to your admin about it.

6. JenL

JenL Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

even though it really isn't in your job description..it is a concern.
    sometimes teachers have to do things that are not in the job description. it is a difficult subject but approach it lightly, talk about your concerns and give them options....it is all you can do.
    if it happens again...then i think additional action should be taken.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2007

This is how we handle it. We are a very culturally diverse school and we occasionally have parents who, according to our standards, physically abuse their children. We discuss it with our administration and sometimes CAS is called to discuss discipline options with the parents.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 14, 2007

I'm still a credential student, but we just did a unit on abuse. If I were you, I'd talk with the principal and school counsellor about reporting this to social services. It's the teacher's job to report suspected abuse, which I think is what's happening. State's vary but corporal punishment in California means spanking, not hitting on the head. Of course, you are only in suspicion mode, but thankfully a teacher does not have to prove the case.

Good luck, and I'm sorry this is happening.