Talking Stick

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ku_alum, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 14, 2014

I am going to do a weekly Circle-Up activity to practice our speaking and listening outcomes (and to address some of our character ed outcomes).

I want to use a talking stick ... i.e. a student can speak only if he is holding the talking stick.

But, I don't want to use a stick. I can think of 1 or 2 students who would turn it into a poking stick or a hitting stick. :) Yep, I teach HS. Not violent, just pestering a buddy or whatever.

I want something that is easy to clean since it will be passed around to many hands. Something big enough that it is obvious who has the stick (not something they hide in their hand by holding it).

I've thought about a wadded up paper ball ... easy to toss at the end of the day ... but that doesn't seem very special.

Ideas?

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 14, 2014

I've seen it done with a tennis ball, which might lead to other problems (it rolling away or hitting someone in the face). Maybe a beach ball.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 14, 2014

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 14, 2014

Good ideas. Keep 'em coming.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2014

Bean bag
    Nerf ball
    Silk flower on long stem
    Wand from dollar store
    Stuffed animal

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2014

How about one of those little international-orange cones that gets used in youth-soccer practice? Or maybe a homemade megaphone: you could cut the bottom out of a soft-drink cup, papier-mache it and include a handle, then decorate it either with school colors or with designs appropriate to the content.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

I have some inflatable microphones that came from party city. My own kids love singing and talking into them and they are soft and easy to clean when inflated.

9. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 14, 2014

This!

We used a stuffed clownfish last year...bc it went with my clasroom theme. But its hs so i love the megaphone and microphone idea...i have a couple old microphones from video games. It would be kind of cool to cut the cord off and use that if you had it laying around like me. :p

Stuffed animal of school mascot?

10. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jul 14, 2014

I like the megaphone idea, too. I made one from laminated construction paper a long time ago. I still use it and it really works to project my voice.

Of course, in the hands of students, it may not last long, but it's cheap and easy to make new ones. Easy to clean with a wet wipe, too.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2014

I use a small plush basketball, about the size of a softball. With a UConn husky on it, of course!

12. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 16, 2014

I have found that facilitating the students' conversation myself works better than using a talking stick. I've had training in this skill though, so if you have not, you may want to consider seeking out opportunities for training in this area. In my experience, the person holding the stick considers it free reign to talk as long as they like, give it to only their friends, and some people never get a chance to talk. Some will break the rule of talking when they do not have the stick, then you have to deal with that. Also, if YOU do not have the talking stick, you are not allowed to speak either, even if something comes up. Facilitating them myself has reduced a lot of these issues.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

I use Zippy-my university's mascot. Sometimes we use Brutus too (Ohio State's mascot). It's a lot of fun.

I set rules and will intervene. I will sometimes tell kids things like "you have to give Zippy to someone who hasn't participated". I'll also cut them off too if needed.

14. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 16, 2014

I use a stuffed animal. We do circles and the talking piece goes in order. As far as people not speaking when they don't have the talking piece, I am probably the worst offender. Another thing for me to work on this year.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

I used a small Beanie-Baby like dog, with magnets in his feet. He lived on the white board when we weren't using him. And, if the kids (junior high) got to fiddling with him too much while talking, they could stick him on the side of the desk while talking, then pass him on.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2014

I use a stuffed alligator. Just throw it in the wash if it gets a little icky.