Talking HELP!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach1st, Aug 16, 2007.

1. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 16, 2007

Today was my first day. The students talked ALL the time. Everything took so much longer because they talked so much. How do I calm down the students and get them to talk less and work harder? Does it come with maturity? I have taught second grade for three years and never had such a talkative class. Does anyone have any ideas to help?:eek:

3. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 16, 2007

There are many things I do but my most effective tricks are:

clapping out a easy rhythm and teaching the students to copy it when they hear it.... I do this until I hear everyone doing.... it grabs their attention and they love to clap! You can even change the rhythm periodically and sometimes I let them help me make up the rhythm for the week!

The other fave one is a saying...

I will say "One Two Three Eyes on Me"
    They have to repeat with "One Two Eyes on You"

I discuss with them that I expect their eyes on me...

This will help get their attention... then it will be up to you to get them to stop talking all the time...

I hope this helps a little

4. Buttons

Buttons Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

Maybe they are still unsure about what work time should look and sound like. We do a T-chart with looks like and sounds like on the other side. We reviewed it often at the beginning, and we went to our tables for only 10 minutes at a time to practice. I reward them with praise and had them work towards their first group reward. I think its just new, and they don't know what you expect yet. The good thing about first graders is that they are very eager to please you. :3)

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2007

Walk around the room. Especially lean toward those who are chatty.
    Say a specific person's name or ask someone a direct question.
    Rearrange the room if needed. Separate clusters of girls.
    Do something off kilter and wait for their response.
    Stop talking and wait for them to notice.
    Praise those who are doing great.
    Flicker the lights and turn them off if needed if it doesn't work then wait. (only if you have windows)
    Keep the lesson moving and make it active when possible.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 17, 2007

And be patient. They are excited to be back at school and excited to see everyone. Be sure to give them some designated talking time or movement time. I like to have a 5 minute dance break or talking/walk around break every 45 min or so for the first two weeks at least. especially if you have a very talkative, social class, plan in the talking time and it might ease the frustration. Ask me again in two weeks and I will probably have a different point of view once my school year starts and I have talky kids!

Hey - my daughter was a real talky kid. Plus a great sense of humor at a very young age. She just found humor in everyday things. It probably drove her teachers crazy! Every report card said, she's doing great, high marks in everything, but SHE SURE TALKS A LOT!
    By jr. high the report cards said, please ask her to quit talking so much. Well this summer she has her first job working with tourists. Her boss really complimented her. "You can talk to anybody! You are very good with people." Cracked me up. I told her she should send a note to her jr. high principal saying, "My talking skills finally came in handy!"

7. mrsmuggins

mrsmuggins Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Last year I had a very chatty class. Here are a few "tricks" I used:

Say in a quiet voice, "If you can hear me, touch your chin." You will get a few. Then say, "If you can hear me, touch your elbow." You will get a few more. Use a quieter voice, and say, "If you can hear me, give me a big smile." (These are examples, I try to do different ones every time.)

Ask students to "take a deep breath and hold it........... and let it out slowly." Do this several times until everyone is quiet.

Hold up one hand, and count backwards slowly. 5,4,3,2,1. Put your one finger on your lips and smile. Repeat a little more quietly each time.

You can also say silly things in a quiet voice. For example, "I like to eat gummy worms, but not real worms. Last night I did not sleep in a tree. My favorite candybar is "Snickers" - I think I could eat six in a row." Again, you will continue to add to the number of students listening.

I have several little shakers I use when I want attention. I shake it, and wait. Shake it and wait. Etc.

It's also fun to walk up to a quiet student and start whispering with them. I whisper just loud enough for the whole class to hear me when they get quiet. I usually ask them questions about things like their favorite pizza, etc. Kids are so nosey they want to "listen in."

Hope these help!

8. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

Thank you everyone. I started a marble jar on Friday and we discussed what a classroom should look like, what work time would be like, and behaviors that could earn a marble. It really worked! The students were doing anything to earn a marble. I hope the new doesn't wear off with the marble jar. I am trying to give praise to students with appropriate behaviors in the classroom. I will also try some of the other suggestions as well. I assume I will have to mix it up so they will not get bored with one thing and it won't be effective anymore.

9. autumnpumpkin

autumnpumpkin Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

When I have a talkative student, I keep teaching but write their name on the board as a warning without acknowledging their behavior, if they continue talking I put a checkmark by their name (that's five minutes off recess), a second check markd is ten minutes off recess, and a third means they lose recess. I tell them, if you waste my time, I'll take your time. They usually quiet down as soon as I put their name on the board.
    Hope this helps.

10. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 19, 2007

have you tried table points? if your children are sitting together, it's a really great way to reward them for paying attention, being on task...basically NOT talking! if you have desks pushed together as tables, give each table a number. put this up on the board, along w/space underneath for the points (we do this as tally marks, this is a standard here). every time you catch everyone at the table doing a good job, the table gets a point. at the end of the week teach the kids how to add up the points (they catch on to this so quickly!), and figure out who your first and second place winners are. these children all get a special treat :). i swear it works...the kids really start to regulate themselves AND each other! good luck to you!

-meri

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2007

Say "If the kid next to you is talking, raise your hand." They will get quiet because they think they can trick the teacher, but they know they can't fool the busybody-tattletail who sits next to them.