Talking about God that very first day/morning meeting

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by Tek, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Tek

Tek Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

Hi everyone, tomorrow I start my first day teaching 1st grade at a private Christian school! I'm excited, yet nervous. Obviously, one of the goals (of my school and myself personally, at least) is to help the kids have a good foundation and relationship with the Lord.

I was wondering if anyone here talks about God among the first things that very first day, and if so, what do you say/talk about? My colleague teacher says she talks about how God loves all of us, and if we believe in Him, we'll go to Heaven. Is that too extreme to say on the first day of 1st grade?

I will teach them the Pledge of Allegiance, and also the Christian Flag and Bible versions. I guess that will be a good time to slip in a note about God, how God loves us, and how we ought to love one another as though we'd love ourselves.

Any experience from the more experienced private school teachers here on what works particularly well when bringing up God that first time to six year olds? Do you want to mention Heaven (and "Lake of Fire") or keep it simple, and just talk about His never ending love? When do we bring Jesus into the picture as well? Just curious to see "what script" you've used in the past as this is all completely new to me (almost literally too, I only became Christian after a major emotional response episode I had just three years ago when I attended church for the first time in my life...)

Thanks!

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

Does your school do anything together? We have school-wide chapel once a week, so we start our first day with that. Do you have any sort of 'religion' class/curriculum?

Sorry I'm not more help; the vast majority of our kids are raised in the church and have been going to Sunday School since they were 3, so they all come to us knowing the basics.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 19, 2012

Haha...sounds like a traumatizing first day!

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

Another idea might be to find some sort of devotion book for young children. There are probably also sites you could find as well.

6. 4dogmom

4dogmom Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

Hello! I don't post much, but I may be able to help some. This is my 25th year teaching in Christian school. I also started in first grade? Yes, you will need to incorporate the Bible in every aspect of your teaching. Most if your students have probably been exposed to the Christian world view since they can remember. Is your school a ministry of a church? If so, you can stand firm on the teachings of your church.
    As far as teaching the Bible, do you have a Bible curriculum? I teach Proseries now. I have taught Bob Jones and A Beka also.
    On the first day, I usually plan a devotion that is tied to the school theme. Our theme this year is "Developing the mind of Christ". I also plan to use Keys for Kids (great resource) and "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young as devotional resources.
    Remember to keep the Lord first in everything you do! You do not have to shy away from sharing the gospel with your students. That is one of the reasons parents pay the tuition to send their children to Christian school.
    Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have been doing this for many years!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

I taught K for several years in Catholic schools. I taught them grace before snack the first day...

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2012

Instead of being so direct, I would spend the first few days establishing a classroom culture of learning and Christianity through the little things...learning the pledges, saying a prayer before meals, and things of that nature. Most of your students will probably know about Jesus already, and there is no emergency requiring you make sure you get all the basics spit out on that first day regarding God, Jesus, being saved, etc. Build it, show it, model it, teach it...all naturally and in good timing. (Just like with the other things you'll be teaching).

Good luck and have fun! :)

9. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

I grew up (and am still a practicing) Catholic. I was in Sunday School for many years, and one of my earliest memories from that time was when my teacher asked us, "Why did God create us?" I confidently gave an answer that had been discussed recently when my parents were talking to me about religion. Well apparently it wasn't what the teacher wanted to hear because she acted like it was the dumbest and most incorrect answer she had ever heard. That experience made me reluctant to offer any future ideas. Lesson from this? Don't judge your students' preconceptions and ideas about religion too harshly. They may not be totally correct, but kids have different ways of interpreting the world. Engage them in discussion rather than shutting them down. :)

10. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Aug 20, 2012

i am just starting at a christian school teaching 3rd grade. I would start with something simple like that we are all made by God. Creation is a good story and easy to understand.... you can use actual bible verses or use a childrens bible.

11. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 22, 2012

My Christian school starts with an all-school chapel on the first day. After that, we have chapel once a week. Every day that's not chapel, we have a religion lesson, just like we have a math lesson and a reading lesson.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

The high school kids I teach have a daily religion lesson as well. They take tests, quizzes, trimesters-- it's another totally normal class.

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Sep 4, 2012

Our first day of school we have an opening chapel service as well. I also teach Bible every single day as part of my regular curriculum, so I just begin with lesson one as part of our regular day.

14. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 5, 2012

My daughter is in first grade and they do a bible lesson every day and memorize a new scripture every week.

I just checked and the first week of school under "Bible" they taught rules and procedures. :) There were only 3 days that week and the 3rd day of school lists Colossians 3:23 and Philippians 2:14, so I assume they talked about those as they relate to doing your best & following rules.

Here is what is under week 2 ~

MONDAY
    Unit 1: God Made Me
    -Memory Verses
    -Catechisms 1-3

TUESDAY
    -Scripture Reading: Genesis 1

WEDNESDAY
    -Bible Story: John the Baptist's Birth

THURS
    -Written Exercise

FRIDAY
    -Activity
    -Oral Verse Test

Unit 2 is "I Should Glorify God" and Unit 3 is "God is a Trinity"

That might give you an idea. They work on the memory verse in class every day and use it for handwriting practice as well.

15. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 5, 2012

Sorry I didn't see this sooner - I just noticed the date on your post! How is it going?