TALKERS!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ajd5160, Sep 25, 2007.

1. ajd5160

ajd5160 Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

I need help! This year my class is SO talkative. I teach inner city and am really lucky to not have to deal with the bullying/fighting and attitude that other classes are dealing with and that I have dealt with in the past.

BUT!

The talking is driving me crazy! Any great tips, ideas, incentives that I could try.

I give tickets for a Friday Drawing and that is really effective especially in the hallways and during bathroom breaks, but I am more concerned about during instruction.

Thanks in advance!

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2007

I came here to vent about the very same thing!!!! I think I already vented somewhere else on here, but things are getting worse!!
    THey are sweet and work hard, but I can't take the noise!! My biggest problem is transitions and getting them to stop working and listen!!! I would welcome any advice!!! HELP US!

4. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Sep 25, 2007

My class seems really chatty this year as well. Usually I just tell them things like "as long as it takes for me to get you quiet will be as long as it takes for me to get you to recess later." Today I explained to them that if they talk during work time, I will stop giving them so much in-class time to work, and they will have more homework. I think you just have to be really firm at this crucial beginning of the year - don't allow it at all, explain why, have a class discussion about it. Ask them what they hope for this school year - their goals. Then talk about what kind of classroom environment they need in order for them to be successful with those goals...

5. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Sep 25, 2007

My class can be pretty chatty this year too! I am soon going to start something I did last year that worked well. I put their desks into groups of four or five, and each group had a small cup with their table number on it. Whenever I saw a group working really quietly or listening well, I put beads in their cup. They kept working to earn beads until I moved their desks again (usually about a month--but you could change this to a shorter time if you need to) and the winning group received something like a prize from our prize box, lunch with the teacher, a homework pass, etc. The children really worked together to earn beads and they helped each other remember to be quiet. All I had to do was announce that a certain group was getting beads for being quiet or good listeners, and the rest of the groups soon followed. The students also knew if they were too noisy as a group I would take beads away, and they definitely didn't want that!

6. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Sep 25, 2007

My class is really chatty too. I also had problems with a lot of calling out. So what I did was write all their names in a column down the side of one of my white boards. I tell them that I will erase their name when I hear them talking or calling out. There are no warnings and no arguing. At the end of the day I gave a jolly rancher to the students who still have their name on the board. It has been working pretty well. I am planning on transitioning to a table group version or whole class version by October, but at first I wanted to show the students as individuals who needed to work on these skills.

7. marc92647

marc92647 Rookie

Sep 25, 2007

This strategy is not liked by all but it has been my experience that it works very well. I would suggest setting up a class rewards system. I have a chart that has categories such as talking out of turn, wasting time, working ahead,..etc. Everytime a student does one of the things in your category you mark the board. The class has a certain amount of marks above which they get no reward. I start with 25 marks in a week and lower the marks as the class starts behaving better. You have to change up the rewards and find rewards that the STUDENTS want. They must be group rewards. I find this helps change the behaviour of alot of the talkers and misbehaving students. These students generally will not earn rewards as individual students but when put in a group they tend to change or be left out of the group. Students that misbehave and keep getting marks for the entire class get their own personal chart. The class as a whole will start to hold the few misbehaving students accountable for their behaviour. However, you must find class rewards that motivate a majority of the class, I use kick ball games, carnival games, who's smarter than a fifth grader, movies...etc. Good Luck

8. matchstickgirl

matchstickgirl Companion

Sep 25, 2007

My class has group points. Every week or so I set a deadline. As the week goes on teams get points for being quiet and doing what I ask. Right now they will earn a homework pass for the winning group. They have been doing really well. I aslo have a class economy in which they earn money for quieting down or getting straight to work.

My class has been a bit chattier this week to, and today I gave them busy work for 45 minutes instead of teaching. They HATED it. We then discussed what they need to be doing in order to be doing fun lessons. The talking was non exsistant today and they were so great.

I also move my kids into 'islands' if they are talking a lot. This means they will not be working in their groups AT ALL until they can show me they are ready to try it again. This works well to get the constant talkers to stop.

But I agree, just be really consistant and strict on it. Start taking things away from them, or sending work that doesn't get finished in class because of their talking for homework. You should not have to put up with this!

OH! Another thing I do with my talkative math class is I have two columns. One says students, the other teacher. Everytime they do something like getting to work, being quiet, they get a few points. For every person I see talking or not doing what they should, I get a point. At the end of class I take the difference between the two columns and award that group the points. If the students get 25 points or so, they get a fun day. It works well because they see it happening, and really do work to get quiet.

Hope these help!!!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 25, 2007

I give them a point (minute) towards recess for every period of the day- and it equals to the minutes they receive at the end of the week for the one long Friday recess (a half hour). Besides that, if any specials or other teachers report an issue, it's immediately five minutes lost.

The last two classes have been more a lot more talkative than the first two.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 26, 2007

I had to really crack down about this very thing just yesterday. I was calling out every individual name and getting no response whatsoever!! So I turned off the lights and said loudly "Everyone in your seats right now with your heads down." I then told them that instead of having our snack, which was scheduled right then, we were going to sit in silence. Then, sorry to say, I ranted and raved in an adult way about "we are not going to be a class where people have headaches every day!!!" Which is what I had allllllllll year last year. I won't have it again.

Anyway, calming them with lights off, heads down, and a few minutes of quiet time can get things back on track.

One thing that is working for me this year is that we transition with some kind of music - singing a song together as we gather for the new activity, or listening to some calming music. When the song is over, everyone is expected to be ready to go, or they lose out on a privilege. And I make sure they know THEY made the choice of calming down and getting ready, or continuing to blahblahblah and not get ready.

It's hard because I am not sure what a reasonable amount of talking is and I doubt myself, then suddenly they are just out of control! I want them to be social but just not when it is lesson time.