Talkative!!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MrsCK, Aug 24, 2012.

1. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Aug 24, 2012

This is my first year teaching first grade and these kids are so sweet...but SO TALKATIVE!! It is unreal. The other teachers on my team say it's the most talkative group of first graders they have ever seen.

Does anybody have tips for a talkative class? We have a schoolwide positive behavior management plan, and I am very positive in my own behavior management. I reward kids who set good examples and make good choices. I have been giving them time out at recess but it's getting to where they lose the whole time. :eek:

3. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

Do you have a voice level chart? Maybe that could help. In what situations do they talk a lot? During work time, hallway, etc?

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

I am thinking about using noise level chart as well. My kids are pretty chatty.

I don't mind my kids talking, but they must listen during listening time. I give group points when the group is ready during transitions and I count down, and when their entire group has listened well. This helps encourage them to be listening during listening time. We have now completed 2 weeks of school, and it has been a struggle, but today they did an awesome job. Just be persistent and continue working on it.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 24, 2012

Practice, practice, practice. This is a procedure they need to learn. I wouldn't be giving time outs during recess yet. Lower your voice to a near whisper and then explain that you are all going to practice sitting quietly on the carpet. Do it until everyone is quiet. Then practice sitting quietly a little longer. When someone starts talking stop and wait. Don't talk over them.

When do you find they are most talkative? Do you have a lot of "down time" that needs to be filled with more engaging material?

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 24, 2012

Have you actually taught "talking" expectations? They need to know when and where they can talk, and at which levels of volume. We discuss the different situations, then practice - I even give them one chance to use their outdoor voices - for 30 seconds - (yes I use a timer) inside the classroom. Of course, I have to reteach the expectation regularly, and students earn both positive and negative consequences for their choices. I know how "talky" they can be - some days by three o'clock, my ears feel as if they will bleed!

7. Tek

Tek Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

My first graders can be very chatty as well. I use a red yellow green traffic light, but it only works after I warn them several times and start making some kids change their color (I use the green-yellow-orange-red card system).

In the afternoon, it's hard to have them be quiet for long. We have an extremely long day... 3:15 is our out time... way too long for 1st grade I believe, but I gotta work with what I have.

They do drive me nuts sometimes. I constantly have to signal them with various signs to quiet them down.

They do love the clap-clap clap-clap-clap transition though. They copy me everytime without fail. I am then able to instruct them but it isn't long before they start yapping again, even with the light on red. It isn't until I have 3-4 kids changing colors that they quiet down a bit.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 24, 2012

How long are we expecting these 1st graders to sit quietly?? They have the attention spans of gnats - especially at the beginning of the year!

9. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 25, 2012

I use turn and talk a lot. They find an elbow partner(the person sitting next to them) and talk about what ever it is that we're working on at that point. This eliminates a lot of the excess talking, because they've had a number of times to talk throughout the day!

10. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Aug 26, 2012

My group is extremely chatty this year also.. I do lots of signals for attention, but after a few minutes they start back up again. I think I'm going to try a noise chart and some of those programs where if it gets too loud the balls bounce or whatever (I've seen them on pinterest). I'm also thinking of starting team points, but I feel like there s always one or two groups that don't stop talking ( no matter how many times we change seats).

11. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Aug 30, 2012

Thanks for all the suggestions! I don't mind talking, it's just during lessons when I expect them to be quiet and that's the "disrespectful" talking that I want to fix. We've been doing a lot of sit and wait for silence before we go on. It's taking up a lot of time, but hopefully it will be worth it.

12. Tek

Tek Comrade

Aug 31, 2012

My kids are way too chatty. I'm changing my desk formation to rows this weekend. I originally didn't want to do rows as I felt it was too rigid, but now I don't care about rigid or not, haha. All I know is, the current formation gives them too many talking options.

We'll see how Tuesday goes...

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 1, 2012

Don't forget to teach, model, and reteach (as many times as necessary, now and throughout the year) your expectations for behaviors during each activity.

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2012

Don't forget to do the teach, model, and practice anytime the children start to slip from your expectations.

15. Tek

Tek Comrade

Sep 1, 2012

^ Yes, thanks for the reminder. I will certainly do that on Tuesday. My kids will come in, sit on the carpet, and surely make a racket out of the new desk formation. I think Tuesday's morning meeting will be reteaching procedures, rules and behavioral expectations. In the last couple days they have just become way too talkative.

I have a traffic light, but they ignore the red sign until I start having 3-4 kids change their behavior cards. To be honest, I hate this. I feel like my classroom management is a bit shoddy right now, and in college I always thought I had pretty good CR mgmt. But I guess student teaching and full time teaching are different animals.

I will also let them talk about their 3-day weekend, but this time I'll be reinforcing the rule of raise your hand. There are 3 boys in particular who drive me nuts because they are so impulsive (yes, they're 6, but they can learn some measure of self-control).

They drive me nuts. By the end of the day, my brain is mush and I'm calling them by each other's names on accident. "Bob, I mean, Jimmy" "Jimmy, I mean, Bob"... I felt like I was going crazy yesterday!

I'm thinking of buying them "stress balls." I'll hide it in their desk, and whenever they feel impulsive to scream out, they can squeeze the ball instead. Do you think this will help?

All I know is, I need to re-establish control and order. Thursday-Friday was a little crazy and I need to start Tuesday off laying down the law.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 1, 2012

Another thing I do is that I randomly have a treat on Friday. For instance, last Friday, as the kiddos were leaving my classroom at dismissal, I handed "freeze pops" to those who had maintained an A or B in conduct. It's a great positive reinforcer! Of course, it helps that i have a fridge in my room. :)

17. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 1, 2012

Does anyone have a link to a noise level chart? I thought I had pinned some on Pinterest, but can't seem to find anything.

18. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2012

I use a no longer used stop light behavior chart and just have the red be silent the yellow low voices and green be as loud as we go inside. I use a clothes pin to show where our voices are supposed to be. I have used it for four years and it works well as long as I revisit the expectations every so often.

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 2, 2012

No. They will just go bouncing all over the floor, with small children chasing after them.

20. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Sep 8, 2012

I had a very chatty group last year as a 1st year teacher.

I'd agree that balls will bounce all over the place, and if the kids are impulsive, what do you think they'll do if they're given a ball? (Throw it! haha)

The idea of keeping their hands or mouths busy is a good one, though. Try "tangles" (A google image request brought up this site, http://www.efficiencyandeducation.com/product_tangles.php though I'm sure there are others...my school already had some for me to use to unfortunately, I can't recommend a specific site. The kids kids twist them around and whatnot, but you will have to teach & reinforce that they have to keep them in their laps.

Another idea is "focus gum". I've heard that the K teachers at my school have used it with a couple kids. My guess is that you could use it either as a reward (quiet for 5 min, get a piece of focus gum) or as a preventative measure (their mouth's already busy) :)

I also agree with the posters who said to keep teaching, modeling, reteaching, reviewing, etc. and to not talk over them. Last year, I was really worried about "proving myself" as a teacher and jumping right into the academics that I didn't do enough of that. I had it in my head that I had to get done with this, this, and this and I didn't have time to wait for it to be completely silent before I started/continued with the lesson. I didn't realize until it was too late that I had established the precedent that they didn't have to be quiet for me, and you can imagine how well that worked. :( Really establishing your expectations now, at the beginning of the year, will be the best thing. Don't be afraid to take that time!