Talk to me about your math lessons please

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Ms.T, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

Hey all, :)

I teach Everyday Math. I would like to change what I do a bit, which is:
    Group lesson
    Individual/partner work time related to lesson

Some kids, of course, get done early. Some never finish.

I was thinking:
    Group lesson
    Individual work time where I call groups (not sure how many per day or how this would work)
    When kids are done and not in a group w/ me they could work on their number scroll, finish morning math (usually math boxes), or do a challenge sheet alone or w/ partner, or maybe play an approved math card game quietly

I want to check their work, because of those kids that rush through so they don't have homework.

I do math tubs once a week and math games w/ another class once a week separately, so I don't want that as options. I just want to make sure all of the kids receive the help they need in a more structured way.

What do you do?

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I also teach everyday math and have the same problems with kids finishing fast/taking forever. I found that my kids love to go do partner flash cards when they finish. I got maybe 8 packs at the dollar store so that they can work on "fact power". I am also trying to think of more "when you're done" math activities/games.

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

I also teach EM. When I assign math boxes I have them star the problems that are "secure" goals. These are the probs they HAVE to do 1st, if they finish those they go on to the rest, done with that: number scrolls, puzzle books (missing number kind of thing I made), games, fact families, etc. I give ample amt of time to finish the starred probs, some days we check together, others I walk around. This has helped my slower ones quite a bit-they don't feel so overwhelmed. Plus, I can take them in a small grp and just work on the starred ones. If they don't get to the other probs it's not the end of the world-they can always work on later or as homework. Problem is...we are getting the newer edition this year and I don't know if the boxes will be the same!!

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Thanks! I like those ideas. :)