Talk to me about Smart Boards

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Jenny G, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Nov 30, 2006

Some of our teachers visited a school a couple of weeks ago that uses these. I've read about them here and checked the website, but I want to know more.

What type of set-up do you have?

If you have just the board, will it work with any computer that has the software? Or does it need a special computer?

Can the board be used like a normal white board when not hooked up to the computer?

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll have more soon.

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 30, 2006

I have heard you can use dry erase markers on them but they can stain the screen.

4. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Dec 1, 2006

I love smartboards! My children's elementary school has five of them. They have the special white boards and they can be hooked up to the internet. You need the projector, the board and if you want the internet to go through it then you need a laptop. I've never used dry earse makers on them. You simply take one of the special pens that really aren't pens and you write on the board and it shows up. You can even write with just your finger. I love hooking it up to the internet and doing powerpoints or using interactive websites with them. It is a lot of fun because the kids can get involved. In one of my practicum class I hooked it up and let the kids plan on an interactive tangram site. Hope this helps.

5. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Dec 1, 2006

We invested last year and bought 15 complete smart board set ups. It was by far the best investment we ever made, if they are used properly. What you need:

1) Any computer
    2) LCD Projector
    3) The smart board

It is not a regular white board, and if that's the only way it is used, then the investment is wasted. In a nutshell, your smart board is a huge touch screen. Anything you do on your computer you can do on your smart board, with the addition of being able to write on it in the same manner that you write on a white board. For upper level grades, you can save the notes and e mail them to the students later. Used properly, you can turn your classroom into a student oriented multimedia room. It's great - student participation goes sky high, it's easier to link learning to the larger world, and on and on and on.

I had to give up my smart board one afternoon due to a Williams case visit and that was too long.... (Williams case will not allow cords on the floor).

You can't use regular white board markers on it. If you're married to the white board, you can wheel the smart board out of the way.

They aren't cheap - complete setups can run $10 - $15k each. And the technology has been around for about 20 years. Monday night Football had them for years....

There is also a mini touch pad that the students can use to make changes to the smart board. Sold separately.

db

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 1, 2006

This is my second year with my smartboard. Here's my current set up:

large smartboard on wheels so I can move it
    podium cabinet (for holding equipment)
    laptop computer w/wireless network access
    LED projector with speakers
    VHS/DVD player
    wireless microphone system
    stereo

I use mine all the time, but I NEVER use dry erase markers on it. I do use it as a whiteboard, but I write with the smartboard markers. I love being able to write notes, save them, and then print them for kids who were absent.

Here's what my kids are doing now. I've got a map of the USA, and as they read their novel, they research the destinations in the novel and plot them on their map.

I use mine every day. Right now the kids are following along with a book on tape . . . which is playing through the speakers via the microphone. Cool setup!!

Over Christmas break I'm getting a bigger board, an activeboard. They're going to wall-mount it and put the projector on the ceiling. I'm also getting a document camera and a set of student responders.

Right now I'm the only teacher in the building with one, but we'll have a bunch after Christmas!

7. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Dec 1, 2006

The document cameras are nice, but they are very expensive - I think they are about $6,000 each.

I think they work best for science - and more so as a very high resolution projection, not as a document reader. If you have a smartboard and a projector, the document reader is really not worth the expense. I wish we had not bought ours....

db

8. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Dec 3, 2006

I am jealous. I have seen smartboards but have never been able to use them. They are obviously the wave of the future in the classroom.

9. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 4, 2006

The Smart Boards are very good classroom tools but the replacement bulbs cost about $300.00. And with the new units coming out, when the bulb goes, they can buy an entire new unit for the same price!

10. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Dec 4, 2006

you mean the bulbs for the projectors? the smartboard is just a blank board.

The projector bulbs are usually 2000 hour bulbs, which should be enough for a couple of years of use. I am not looking forward to the day that mine goes out though.

db

11. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Dec 5, 2006

I've been trying to get one into my room for about a year.
    Since I'm 9th grade, and the grant that purchased many of them was given b/c of 7th and 8th graders failing state tests, they just sit and I can't touch em.

I keep pushing though;)

12. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2006

Any ideas on how to use them with first graders. I just found out today that I have been picked in our district to have a Smartboard installed, along with many other great technology items, to use for the next several months. Then I will be reporting and demonstrating to the board how I use them and how they benefit the students. After I present this to the district school board I get to keep all of this in my room for my use. I even get a brand new computer!!!! (Mine is ready to die any day!) So any great ideas for first graders??? PS-I am thrilled that I have been picked out of our entire district to do this!

13. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Dec 6, 2006

I used them in college for some presentations and they are neat. However, I think that they are also expensive because you need the smartboard itself, PLUS an LCD projector, and usually you need to get a stand for that and that ends up costing a bit. Plus when the bulbs go out, they get pricey.

Basically, if you havent used them before...imagine your computer screen having a touch screen....now imagine that same screen being plastered across a huge whiteboard. Thats what it is. All it really is, is a big computer screen that you can move by touch...if you drag your finger across the screen, it senses it and moves the mouse on the screen and you can double click to open files...etc.

One thing I recommend you could use is a website called http://www.artsconnected.org/
    it is a collaboration of two large museums in MN and you can view their entire collection online. With the smart board, you could blow those up to be pretty big. I spent a couple hours learning how to use the site when I was in college and you can go through the site and make your own little archive of pictures and scroll through them as you teach a lesson.