Talk to me about Reading Recovery

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Oct 5, 2011.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Oct 5, 2011

We are at the very beginning stages of finding out more about reading recovery. Can you tell me what you know/like/don't like about it? All I know is that it is expensive. Thank you.

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 7, 2011

I'm not a reading recovery teacher but our reading team LOVES it. I do know you have to go through rigorous training. They had a mentor for awhile plus regular meetings. One teacher was a former 2nd grade teacher and she loves how much she learned through this process. They share a few techniques with the teachers. I haven't heard them talk negative things about the program.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 7, 2011

My district will not use Reading Recovery because it is too expensive, but when I was in college I had the opportunity to observe in a district that uses it. I was very impressed with how it was intense 1-on-1 intervention. I can't remember the exact statistics, but I guess most children are reading at grade level by the time they exit the program, which is amazing!

5. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Oct 7, 2011

There are some positives and negatives to the program. It's wonderful that they get one-on-one intense reading everyday! Most children in the program flourish and are at grade-level when exiting. Our district had the program for many years and this year it was cut from our budget due to budget restrictions. For as many successes I have seen, I have also seen failures. The RR teacher is supposed to take the lowest in the class, however, sometimes the lowest in your class aren't ready to read. Maybe they should have stayed in K but they didn't.. They tend to not make enough progress because they weren't ready for that intense of a program and they can only stay in so long. Also parents have to be involved and read every night and if they don't, there is less success. I have many below level students this year and know that I have 3 that would have qualified for the program. I am interested to see if my own good classroom instruction will be enough for them this year. I usually have 90 % of my first grade students reading 2nd grade levels by April.... I guess time will tell!

6. kab164

kab164 Companion

Oct 28, 2011

I would LOVE to be trained. It 'initially' looks expensive. But long term, when it keeps a student out of special ed, it's actually not as expensive as originally thought. The hard part would be selling it to a school board. Right now I teach Title 1 and have 34 K and 1st grade students. Typically Reading Recovery teachers do that 1/2 a day and have another assignment the rest of the day, often kindergarten. That really reduces how many students you actually teach. But the results are amazing!