Talk of positions being cut?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Pisces

Pisces Companion

Jan 13, 2021

Just wondering if where you live, there is talk of positions being cut? Will students be encouraged to go virtual and teachers assigned online classes of up to 50 students or so? Where I live, the public schools offer "virtual academies" and apparently, they are growing in popularity. Is it like this where you live?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2021

I know some districts in my area are doing parent surveys to see if full time virtual is something parents are interested in next year. Some of our really big districts already had a virtual school pre-pandemic, and there is speculation it may be more popular now. My district is tiny, so I'm not sure we could swing it in a "normal" year (will next year even be normal???)

I don't see it being too popular with elementary parents just due to the childcare factor alone. In my district, parents had to choose between in person or remote, but they're allowed to switch at the quarter. First quarter, we had almost no one switch, but at 2nd quarter we just had about 100 elementary students in the district switch back to in person (4 small schools, so 100 is a ton) even though virus numbers are higher than when parents would have originally chosen remote back in August.

It sounds like the issue they're having at the HS is that many students want to do remote because they think they can just get it done quickly and spend more time with their friends, but most aren't doing the work and are failing. So do you offer it and let people choose it, even if there is evidence it's not a good choice for them?

I'm pretty sure class sizes in our e-learning school aren't much bigger than those in person. I do think there will be budget cuts just with everything else going on. Low enrollment is also a huge issue in my district as well as all of the surrounding ones. We aren't sure if that will go back up if next year is "normal" or people will have discovered they like other options and continue those.

Backroads likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 14, 2021

I wish my school would consider that. I’d really like to continue working online. There hasn’t been discussion of it though as far as I know.

5. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jan 15, 2021

My principal says he doesn't see virtual going away, so I'm guessing there are rumblings of it at the district level. He also said there wouldn't be restructuring of staff, meaning we would continue to do f2f and vitual simultaneously. If this is the case, I need to figure out my next move in life. I can't do both jobs forever.

CaliforniaRPCV likes this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 15, 2021

In my school nobody does both. Either you have all remote students or all virtual students. It's ridiculous to have teachers do both. They either don't realize what they are asking teachers to do or maybe they don't care since they aren't the ones who have to do it.

mrsf70 and CaliforniaRPCV like this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 15, 2021

Definitely the latter for us.

mrsf70 likes this.
  8. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jan 16, 2021

In my district, teachers have to do both. I am teaching both virtual and in-person students. The ratio of in-person students to online students is 1:5. The most thing I learned from this to survive in these unprecended times is I must be super organized. If you are not organized, you will be out of control and very tired of parents, students...

mrsf70 likes this.
  9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 16, 2021

I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed teaching online (this year, now that it's synchronous, and not the nonsense we were trying last spring). I live alone, so long term I don't think it would be so good for my mental health to be that isolated. But I did enjoy our period of remote learning and found it to be significantly less stressful than teaching in the building, especially this year, with masks and other precautions. I know there are at least a few teachers at my school who are now very interested in teaching online long term.

mrsf70 likes this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 17, 2021

I would be curious to know the percentage of teachers who’d like to remain online, versus the percentage of students. I wonder whether there will be tough competition for online positions in the future.

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2021

I guess it all depends on the state budget. We’ll know soon when the legislature spits numbers out for education.

12. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jan 18, 2021

Not cutting but adding positions here. This year we added a PR person to promote the positive things in a time where good news is needed. I think we also added a social worker too. Due to Covid, we added a nurse at every building and bus monitors to take temps.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2021

I am worried about next year. I am in a great district and we did not do any budget cuts last year even though so many schools let teachers go. We are virtual now and I have no idea when my grade will go back!
    I don't think virtual learning will last until next year though so I am not worried about that.

14. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jan 27, 2021

There have not been talks of it in my county. However, I can't believe they're still paying certain positions a salary. I won't name the position titles for fear of hurting someone's feelings. But, there are people who come to school and do absolutely nothing because of the nature of their position. I really, really, really don't want to see anyone lose their paycheck. However, I do wonder how it's feasible.

15. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Jan 28, 2021

I work in a small, rural district. My P's are in the trenches. They will serve lunch and clean trays too. The huge district I came from has some admins that appear to only attend meetings and carry a briefcase. But NONE of this beats the bs I've seen in my previous IT life. I think I have posted before, you can throw a rock through the window of a bank and hit a VP. In my dept, we would jokingly say to other, "Have your secretary of bullsh*t call my secretary's secretary.. she'll set up a tee time."

otterpop likes this.
  16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 28, 2021

No cuts here. We are actually short staffed so they are hiring at all times.