Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by heyteacher, May 16, 2007.

1. heyteacher

heyteacher Rookie

May 16, 2007

My class has been reading Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing. I know I was so wrong to promise my kids they would watch the movie when we were done, but I did. I was wrong because I cannot find the video anywhere!!!:eek: I've looked all over the internet and can not find one. Does anyone know if there even is a video? And if so where can I find it?!
    Has anyone done this book as a Read-Along? Are there any activities I can do that may lessen the blow for the kiddos?
    Thank you!!!!

3. frodolass

frodolass Comrade

May 16, 2007

Are you sure there IS a video? Even eBay doesn't have one listed and they've usually got everything :)

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 16, 2007

I don't think there is a video for this book--I checked IMDB and found nothing.
    I do remember seeing Fudge-A-Mania as a movie on television some time ago, so you might be able to locate that.

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

May 16, 2007

This is slightly off topic, but I just started reading Superfudge to my 2nd graders. I didn't reread it because I read it many times in elementary school. But now I find myself editing a lot of little things in it - which I hate to do - because I feel like I will hear about it if one of the kids goes home and says 'the book was saying stupid and dumb and shut up' or ' the book said something about how babies are made'.

Am I just being paranoid? What do you think?

About the movie - I don't think there is one. :( Maybe tell them you messed up and give them a choice of a few really cool other movies to watch?

6. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 16, 2007

I wouldn't worry too much. I had audio tapes of these books when I was very young (five or six) that my aunt (a teacher) and uncle made for my sister and I. We would listen to them before falling asleep. My uncle did voices for each character on the tape, we adored it. By the time we could read the story, we already knew it all. But anyway, the point was, I don't remember those parts of the story at all, I remember the anecdotes. I think you are probably fine.

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

May 17, 2007

I've never heard of a movie for Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. I do it as the first read-aloud of the year every year. I've never actually done activities with it, but if you can't show a movie, what about breaking them into groups and having them act out certain parts. There are so many great situations throughout the book that you could easily find several different, fun things for them to act out for each other.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 17, 2007

My 4th graders loved doing that book during guided reading this year! There are so many activities they can do. What about having them create and act out a commercial for Juicy-O? My kids are doing a reader's theater version of parts of the book right now--they are getting really into using the voices, etc. I think acting out parts of the book would be great!

9. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

May 18, 2007

I love that book. I do not think that there is a video. You can always see if there is a video of one of her other books, especially if it is in the series and tell them they are finding out what is next. I used this book and we did prediction journals. They had to make a prediction whenever we stopped reading. They also did skits with parts of the book. They really enjoyed the skits.

10. heyteacher

heyteacher Rookie

May 19, 2007

Thank you all for your responses!! I am in agreement, there is no video! :( I told my kids Friday that I just can not find it, and they were bummed. But, I like the idea of acting out parts, they would love doing it! Also, I think I am going to show Fudge-a-mania and encourage them to read it over the summer. At least I'll have an excuse to show it even though I know maybe one will actually read it :rolleyes:
    Thank you again!! I really appreciate the feedback.