Talents of your students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 4, 2008

I have some interesting kids this year! Including a wannabe Blake Lewis (American Idol 6) who beatboxes (and can do it well for a 9-year old, at that). LOL- what are some interesting talents of your students?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2008

Ummm, all of my students are invisible?!?! :lol:

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 4, 2008

Hahahha-STG, you crack me up. Keep the faith and something will come along.

My kids are fantastic talkers.

No, really-I have one child is who is an amazing reader. I'm not talking about comprehension-I haven't gotten to her for a DRA. I mean in the way that she always has a book in her hands. While walking in the hall, while eating, while talking with her friends, even while playing with beanie babies during free time. There is always a book, and her eyes are always moving.

I also have some great dancers (scroll down for video):
    http://www.mrs.uppman.com/14.html

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 4, 2008

I also have been surprised by the number of great readers I have - in first grade! I was expecting many, many more "low" readers - out of 14 students, I only have 4! I actually have three students who read well enough to be starting to add inflection! Can you spell P R O U D? Yes, I am!

6. smgreen78

smgreen78 Rookie

Sep 4, 2008

I have one that is an amazing crier.

Another one that is fantastic at seeing projects through (even when the rest of us have moved on).

Honestly, it's too early for me to tell. In first grade, they usually come in pretty intimidated. I also have a very academically, socially and linguistically low class, so I think it might be some time before I get to know their fun talents. I can't wait to find out if I have a young fisher, actor, comedian or gymnist.

HAHAHHA- Watching your kids made me laugh (I needed it!). Looks like a fun group.

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 4, 2008

The funniest thing I have observed so far is the girls (always the girls) who, in the cafeteria, on the playground, or even at their desks (when they are supposed to be quietly working & not visiting with their neighbors), have very distinctive, easy to hear, voices. The strangest thing happens, though, when they are called on to answer a question. Suddenly they can't speak above a whisper, and a very very low whisper at that! Go figure!

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 4, 2008

I actually have a little girl who is six (turned six in July) and she plays the piano and reads music by SIGHT! She has had 7 months of lessons. She was showing me songs on the piano that she had learned the day before and they pretty much sounded perfect to me. She sat cross-legged on the piano bench! I was SUPER impressed!

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 5, 2008

One of my students needs to take online classes because she's a competitive figure skater and her training requires academic flexibility. I hope to find a way to see her in action this year.

10. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

MINE TOO!! :D

11. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I have a student who can do a dramatic re-enactment of every Disney movie ever made.

I have a student who can list the makes and models just about every car ever made, and who can, after asking you once, remember for the rest of your life the names of all your siblings and the makes, models, colors, and conditions of the cars they all drive.

I have a student who can air-drum with the best of them.

I have a student who can get injured quicker and more effectively than anyone I have ever met in my life.

I have a student who can chew her own toes.

I have a student who is faster than I thought was humanely possible.

I have a student who can eat anything, especially if it's not edible.

:)

12. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Sep 5, 2008

SMGREEN - I think I have one who could probably give your crier a run for their money!

I had a student bring me a 5 page story she wrote this summer. It was about a beautiful flower that wanted to be sold individually. The other flowers got jealous and painted her black. But some people came in and still loved the black flower and purchased her anyway. The same student also did a traditional Indian (as in India, not Native American) dance at the talent show last year.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2008

Wow, sounds like a super-hero team!

14. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2008

We should get him together with my student that can tell you the detail of every traffic intersection and traffic light pattern within a 25 mile radius. Would they make a team! :dizzy:

15. ImaSuperTeacher

ImaSuperTeacher Rookie

Sep 5, 2008

wow!!! That is kind of wierd too....

I have a kid that acts like he's running for the Presidency. He shakes hands, makes the rounds, listens to issues/brings issues to light, is diplomatic in every way possible. I told him to remember whom his 5th grade teacher was when he becomes President!:thumb:

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 5, 2008

I have a student who is a great nose picker and not only that he tells me it tastes like ice cream! Now beat that!!!:lol:

17. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Sep 5, 2008

I had a student two years ago who could recite all the local bus schedules. Should we include him as well? We could have our own little transportation department! :lol:

I'm currently in trouble with my student who loves cars because my sister got a new car and I can't remember what kind. My student's two main loves in life are siblings and automobiles, so she is horrified that I can't remember the make and model of my own sister's car!

18. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

I have an amazing drummer in my class

19. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Sep 6, 2008

I love that all of my kids are eager to learn and they actually beg for homework. And one girl used to be a ballerina. She shows us sometimes.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 6, 2008

I have several... They can drum with anything - pencils, crayons, fingers, toes - doesn't matter, they just gotta make that noise! LOL:atoz_love:

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

My kids have amazing imaginations. We use a pelican beanie baby to fly over and reflect about our day during our closing meeting. The first day we did this, I gave it to Girl A, and she actually BECAME the pelican. She suddenly started talking in this strange 'pelican' voice, and told us that Girl A couldn't talk right now, so the pelican would have to talk about her day instead. Then the pelican swooped down and started to eat fish out of our meeting rug. Now, every student who gets the pelican to reflect talks in a pelican voice and has the pelican eat out of the rug before passing it on. Hilarious, but still very strange. Even the boys do this.

22. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

I have been wondering about that too! I am constantly telling them to speak up! I thought I was going crazy!!!!!!!!!!

One of mine is a skateboarder. He does these competitions and is always at the skate park. He has brought in some great pictures.

23. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

I gave my drummers straws. I can't hear them and if they lose them, they don't get more and can't drum period. So far, it has worked very well.