Talented & Gifted

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by IloveKinder, Sep 7, 2007.

1. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

Anyone here a talented/gifted teacher? I am going to be interviewed for a T/G position next week and I was wondering if anyone knew what types of questions I will be asked.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2007

Good luck on the interview!! I would think they would ask about what challenging activites you would do with GT students in a variety of subjects.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 7, 2007

I teach advanced reading and know a lot about G/T ed. What questions do you have?

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 8, 2007

I would think they would ask you about differentiation techniques. We hear a lot these days about integrating "rigor" into every activity. Have a plan for independent study (even for a Kinder class).

I would probably also ask you about dealing with difficult parents, as G/T parents are sometimes a little hard to deal with.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 8, 2007

Yes, differentiation techniques, what students can do independently (project-wise) and when they are done with regularly assigned work, and probably even technology.

I understand what you mean too by G/T parents, KinderCowgirl.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 8, 2007

MAYBE ALSO they'd ask about finding reading material for students who read at a very high level and maintaining high test scores from the year before. In reading, I have two G/T students who received a perfect score on the state test for reading in third grade.

8. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 8, 2007

Yup, they will ask you about differentiation. They might ask you how will you group your math students into low, med, high groups in order to do a guided math type of differentiation. I was asked this and I wasn't prepared to respond. I ended up saying I use math "stations" (like centers) for use when done with whole class math. It is a form of differentiation. They might ask what types of Renzuilli tier 2 projects you will facilitate. This will be things like special speakers, field trips, research projects that instill an interest, anything that will jumpstart an individual interest to learn more about a topic for a child. Tier 3 projects are the ones they go and do on their own. (the purpose of a tier 2 being to get them to go do tier 3 projects). This is a big buzzword in gifted education, Renzulli tier 2 and 3 activities. Good luck. I teach gifted 1st graders and it is amazing to teach kids like this.

9. IloveKinder

IloveKinder Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

Pull-Out Activities

I just spoke to the principal and this job is a pull-out position b/t three different schools for grades 2-4. So does anyone have any ideas of activities that could be done? I want to come up with a list so I feel prepared for the interview?