Taking Your Birthday Off from Work?!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2011

So the other day, I heard 2 school psychologists & an ex-special ed teacher talking about how either they or someone they know takes their b-day off every yr. I was a bit surprised to hear this. Do any of you do that? Comments?

I've never done it even as a child & I'm not about to start. I was always raised to try to have perfect attendance, which I did for many of my school yrs. That might be OK if you're a little kid, but come on! Personally, I don't think it's necessary. I mean we have weekends off, isn't that enough? Plus, what's so important that you have to take your b-day off?

Now for those of you who do it, hey, whatever floats your boat! (Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that no one should ever tk a day off in their entire lives.) :)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

Nope! I've never taken off for my bday.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 14, 2011

I would miss out on the kids doing something fun! I've always had kids who either make a card, or sing, or something. They can be so caring, and it makes my day!

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 14, 2011

Sometimes. It depends on which day of the week it falls on and what's going on (meetings that day, etc.).

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

My birthday typically falls on the first day of school (or some time during the first week of school). So, needless to say, I've never taken the day off as a student or as an employee.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2011

Mine's in mid-Jan, so it's pretty much right after we return from Christmas vacation.

8. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 14, 2011

My fourth anniversary fell on a Friday and my fiance called in sick- told the kids in advance. We went on a mini-vacation that weekend for the anniversary.

9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 14, 2011

I've never done it myself but I personally don't see a difference in taking a day off for your birthday and taking a 'mental health day' or 'rest day' using a sick day.

10. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

Never have. I have a pretty small family and basically get more attention at school that I would at home-everybody else is usually working and so we celebrate on the weekend. But have no problem with anyone who wants to.:celebrate:

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

My birthday is in the summer so it's a non-issue. If it were during the school year, I'd probably take it off. My birthday is for me. :)

12. d12brown

d12brown Rookie

Apr 14, 2011

Before I was in education, I took EVERY birthday off! Most years I took a week of vacation for the week of my birthday. Now, I like to eat cake and have the kids tell me happy birthday!

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2011

I usually try to if it falls during the work week. That's a day of pampering and lunch out and mental health :)

The only time I don't is if the state writing test falls on that day or there's some sort of school activity where they really *need* all teachers to be there.

This year I had a bad cold/laryngitis and ended up in bed sick for my birthday.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

Nope. I would never even consider it.

15. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

I have, but it's not something I absolutely have to do every year.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

Mine is at the end of summer, the week I am in my classroom setting and up and getting ready. The thought has never crossed by mind to take the day off.

17. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Apr 14, 2011

I think I took off the day after my 21st birthday ;) It wasn't really needed, but I did like that I got to sleep in!

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Apr 14, 2011

never have, my aid brings in cupcakes and I celebrate with my class:)

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Apr 14, 2011

My birthday is almost always during our spring break so it isn't an issue. But if it wasn't during spring break, I don't think I would take the day off.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 14, 2011

I'm a summer birthday, so it's never an issue for me, but I don't see anything wrong with it. Life is short and beautiful. Find your pleasure where you may.

21. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2011

Ok I have to say that yes I take my bday off. Actually I don't take the whole day, just half a day. This year it fell on Friday and it was also the 100th day of school. I was there for the 100th day stuff in the morning and then I left. We weren't doing anything but watching movies at the end of the day so it's not like I missed any instruction time. I don't take many personal days off so it's my one "splurge."

22. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Apr 14, 2011

No, I don't take off for my birthday. There are years, when my birthday falls on Memorial day weekend, that I'll get a 3 day weekend.. that always makes me happy. This year I'll be in New York for my birthday, so I guess you can say I took off; in a way.

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 14, 2011

My birthday is Christmas Eve. It's never been an issue until this last year, not that I'm not working in a school. I only worked a half day, but that's because my company decided to close my department early, not any choice I made.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

I don't much "celebrate" birthdays so it's never been something I've considered. My birthday is also in the summer.

25. nyprekteacher85

nyprekteacher85 Rookie

Apr 14, 2011

My birthday was today...and I went to work. Never taken the day off for my birthday. My kids kept saying happy birthday to me every time I left the room and came back!

26. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Apr 14, 2011

I can't because mine falls on a testing week, but I don't see it as being any different than taking a personal day.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

I do agree with that, Sue. If someone wants to, there wouldn't be a problem with that in my district. You have two personal days a year.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

As a contracted professional, I get a specified number of personal and sick days per year. I have taken my anniversary day off with dh if we plan ahead for a day together, but I've never taken my birthday. I could though if I wanted to take a personal day...it's not that it's 'necessary' or 'so important' but personal days are just that: personal.:2cents:

29. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

If I feel like it then yes I will. If I have something planned where we go away then yes I will. My husband and I do nothing special for ourselves throughout the year...we hardly ever go on vacations...so when it's each others' birthdays we try to plan something special for the other and do it. That's the big deal! :) We don't celebrate with gifts, we just celebrate with spending time with each other.

Of course if something is going on at work that we can't take off, then we don't. But my job normally doesn't have any issues at all. I barely take days off there as it is.

Anyway, I have nothing to worry about this year. It's on Labor Day. :)

30. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2011

Confession - my first year teaching, my friends took me out the day before my birthday - a Wednesday. We stayed out until 2am. I think I had 6 double margaritas. I felt great in the morning (I suspect there may have still been some alcohol in my system) but by lunch I had such a bad migraine that I had to go home during the last block. They sent a sub in for me as my students were coming in - they were going to throw me a bday party - they had flowers and balloons and food. I felt so bad that I had to leave, and that I was leaving a sub in the middle of a party. lol. luckily my bday is in June so it was the end of the year - they were just wrapping up their final project anyway.

Ugggg - I don't know how I used to go out during the week like that. I barely drink at all anymore, and I definitely can't stay up past 10 and go to work.

I would maybe consider taking a day off if my birthday was in the middle of the year and pamper myself as a treat. But it's so close to the end of the year. It's on a weekend this year, but otherwise it would probably be during exams. One year I went to graduation on my birthday and was serenaded at the faculty reception later. lol.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 14, 2011

For the last two years I have been off for my birthday . . . kind of, anyway.

Last year I had an intern, and I was off that day to spend the day in her classroom doing her observations. I was actually in the building all day, but my kids were MAP testing with a sub a couple of rooms away.

This year I was at work giving the MAP test myself, and I suddenly didn't feel well. I managed to tell one of the kids I was sick, and then I ran for it. I went home during first period class, and I spent the entire day with vomiting and diarrhea. What a way to spend a birthday . . . especially birthday number 40!

Otherwise, I'd never even consider taking off for my birthday. In order for me to stay home, I have to be seriously sick or doing something school-related.

32. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 14, 2011

Nope, my birthday is July 28th.

I will be taking it off during my summer course that I will be taking this summer, unless there is a test that day.

33. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 14, 2011

I've never taken my birthday off (this year as a teacher or ever as a student) but I don't see why it would be a big deal, especially if your district has personal days that can be used for whatever you want. We're technically not allowed to use personal days "just for fun" though, even for travelling or things like that. I don't see it as any different than taking a mental health day, but knowing that policy I think it'd be pretty obvious that it was a "just for fun" day if you tried to take off your birthday. My principal wouldn't care, but the district looks at the abscenses too.

34. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

I have never taken it off.

35. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Apr 14, 2011

Well, I work two jobs, 7 days/week....so, yes, I usually take my "birthday weekend" off. It gives me an excuse to sleep in and go out for some fun for a change. But at my normal, weekday, (childcare center) job? Probably not, unless I chose to do a vacation day. But I just within the last month earned a 2ed week of vacation, so I probably wouldn't even do that, in case I took an actual vacation.

36. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 14, 2011

When I was in college I worked at a part time job where they paid you "holiday" pay on your birthday. Even if you didn't work on that day you got 4 hours of pay. If you worked on that day you got time and a half pay. I thought that was nice of them.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 15, 2011

I might try it, but I don't need to. My b-day is a day away from MLK Jr. day, so I always get a day off anyway.

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2011

My birthday is a few days after Christmas, so it's a non issue at school. I did take a few days off for our 25th anniversary. We went to Disney and stayed in the Wilderness cabins. A great time was had by all!

39. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 15, 2011

I am a Thanksgiving baby, so every four years or so I am off anyway...the rest of the time, I love getting "remembered" by my kids.

40. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 15, 2011

Nope, don't take it off. Depending on how Easter falls I may have my birthday off. One year, my birthday was on Easter. I still made Easter dinner for the family (& had an asthma attack!)

41. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2011

If my birthday falls during the week, I take it off. I don't see any reason to work on my birthday. It is a day for me. I have a couple coworkers who I know do that as well. Some don't care, some do. To each there own. It is my day to do, or not do as I please. We have personal/sick days to do use as we choose, and we don't have to say what they are for. I figure, if you have the days, you might as well use them. That is, as long as you are willing to put in the work to write sub plans.