Taking time off first three days of school year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shadyleafytree, Feb 24, 2014.

1. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Feb 24, 2014

I am a teaching assistant and I just recently got married. The majority of my family wasn't able to attend my wedding due to the fact that they live overseas. I work two jobs and my second job is teaching Adult Ed.The Adult Ed school year ends August 2 and the school I TA for starts up August 13. My husband and I both want to visit my relatives as he has never met them before, in particular, my grandmother who is 91+ years old who has been sick on and off for the past few years.

We think it's important, but for the money we're paying and due to my schedule we would have to extend our vacation through the first three days of the new school year. I am having trouble deciding if we should just take the hit financially and burden my family with travel arrangements to get us to and from the airport (1 hr 30 min away one way) to make it in time for the school year to begin or just inform the school of my absence. If I choose the latter, will it be looked down upon as negative and not be worth it in the end? Or is it a reasonable reason to miss a few days?

Any suggestions or advice? :dizzy:

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 24, 2014

It would be a reasonable reason to miss a few days... but it would absolutely be looked on negatively. I'd tread carefully.

4. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Feb 24, 2014

I was assuming it wouldn't look very positive. I suppose therein lies my dilemma. I don't want it to be a negative, but also this is the only time I have to visit my relatives and my grandmother.

Would it just be better to cut the vacation short so I can make it back for the first day of class? We're traveling to Eastern Europe in case that matters...

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 24, 2014

You have PLENTY of time to adjust your travel plans. I wouldn't miss the first days as a non tenured or seasoned teacher.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Feb 24, 2014

What is your P like? Mine may be understanding of a situation like yours.

I missed our first work day for my grandfather's funeral. Nothing could be done about that. I'd also missed the last two days in June for my grandmother's funeral. Talk about a pair til the end!

7. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Feb 24, 2014

Well, we have to book tickets pretty soon, actually. Tickets for the summer time are not only inflated but hard to come by for August this time of year. I have been traveling to that part of Europe for over a decade and it's always been the case.

I feel a little rushed in my decision because due to my tight schedule and tight financial situation it's a tough choice for me.

We can just come back the night before school starts in order to not miss even a day of work. A 10 day trip is better than nothing, right? :)

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2014

I'd sit down and talk with your P. My personal opinion is that since you are a TA and not a classroom teacher, it is less of an issue.
    My old P would have granted your request as a TA.

9. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Feb 24, 2014

I'm new at the school, so I'm not sure about out P. I've met him several times and he seems nice and understanding. I might meet with my DH first and see what she says...I will just ask as if I am looking for advice and see what the DH says before I proceed to ask the P.

Thanks!!

10. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Feb 24, 2014

I didn't see where you are going!? Now I'm curious--sorry to be nosy, but you said Europe--and now I wanna know!

11. Honest_Teacher

Honest_Teacher Comrade

Feb 24, 2014

This is neither here nor there, but why does it seem that tenure comes up so often in your professional advice? Not an accusation; pure curiosity instead.

12. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree Rookie

Feb 24, 2014

Krakow

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 24, 2014

I would sit down with your P and explain exactly what you have here. My former P would have been fine with that, especially with this much notice.

As an aside, this is just another of the reasons teaching is no longer for me. I am a person, with needs, and a life outside of school, and to put out the kind of money necessary to travel to Europe and not have the flexibility to miss a couple days of school AND to potentially have that reflect badly on an entire year's worth of effort and time-I find that sad. Just another example of the inflexibility and tunnel vision that is education. But that is me and my opinion, and it has no bearing on your situation-just making commentary.

14. teach1

teach1 Companion

Feb 24, 2014

I don't think there is any harm in taking to your principal about the situation. I am a big believer in being honest and upfront.

If you approach the situation properly, worst case scenario is that your principal will say they want you there for the first day, and then you do the short vacation route.
    Best case scenario your principal will be understanding, and you can miss the first 3 days. You will never know unless you ask.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 24, 2014

This. Exactly this. Your request probably wouldn't be approved here, but you never know until you ask. Don't make any travel plans until you know your options.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2014

My P believes in a balanced life. He would tell you to go and enjoy time with your family.

17. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Feb 25, 2014

:yeahthat: I'm becoming more and more frustrated with this attitude as well.