Taking the PPST1 (PRAXIS) in OHIO

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by cnt_w8t_2tech, Nov 9, 2005.

1. cnt_w8t_2tech

cnt_w8t_2tech Rookie

Nov 9, 2005

I am going to take the PRAXIS 1 on Monday and I am so scared to do that. I am trying to study up on my math because that is the part that scares me the most. I think that it is becasue I took it back when I was a freshman. I have put this test off until now and now it is either suck it up and take it or not be able to student teach next fall.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2005

If you're studying from a standard prep book, it probably overstates the math - I know that all the books for CBEST go into a lot more algebra and geometry than are on the real test. You might want to look for books in Princeton Review's KNOW IT ALL! MATH series - they explain the concepts decently and include practice questions, along with some occasionally mind-boggling bits of trivia. For math review, I like MATH ON CALL and Usborne's DICTIONARY OF MATH.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 10, 2005

Don't be too stressed. It's a basic knowledge test. I'm not understanding why you're taking it again if you took it when you were a freshman? Did you not meet the state cut off scores?

5. cnt_w8t_2tech

cnt_w8t_2tech Rookie

Nov 10, 2005

I just reread what I wrote and I did not write the right thing. What I ment to say was that I had taken math in my freshman year and that is why I am so afraid of the math. I am so stressed that I can not even write down the right thing and I am not even taking a test.

6. cnt_w8t_2tech

cnt_w8t_2tech Rookie

Nov 10, 2005

Thanks I will check that out and see what I come up with. I have a study guide that they gave us at the student center but it is not helping.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2005

Got questions? Ask 'em here!

8. aksunshine

aksunshine Rookie

Dec 2, 2005

Praxis I

Hey TeacherGroupie! I have to take this next Spring, and I, too, am most concerned about the math. What are the best areas to study and did you find any help books particularly helpful in the math and also the other areas as well? :thanks: :)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 3, 2005

We are talking about PPST, yes? My understanding is that PPST tests basic skills, so it's less a matter of studying than of brushing up skills. I mentioned some favorite resources in math in post #2 on this thread. For reading comprehension, LearningExpress has READING COMPREHENSION SUCCESS IN 20 MINUTES A DAY - sorry I don't have an ISBN handy. For writing, you could do worse that Barnes & Noble's SparkChart on writing essays for the new SAT. Scorers of tests like PPST are looking for structured, organized essays with a minimum of mistakes in mechanics; in other words, they care much less what you say than how well you say it.

Got more questions? Ask!

10. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2005

I take my Praxis 1 test this summer ..Im so nervous !!! I hate standardized tests ! I need to get my hands on that prep book

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 16, 2005

If you hate standardized tests, don't use a standardized prep book - it will only remind you that you hate the whole process, and that's counterproductive. Instead, look for a friendlier book. The LearningExpress book is really good with reading-comprehension skills, and it places them into context as life skills and not just test-taking skills - there are techniques and approaches in that book that you could probably adapt to your future students. The math is probably pretty basic - at most you'll have to calculate area or volume of shapes that may look bizarre at first (but they break down into easier shapes), and you might maybe need to multiply some variables together, but it shouldn't get much more complicated than that. Math books aimed at middle schoolers should be sophisticated enough. The Tests at a Glance document (I think there's one for PPST) should mention what PPST is supposed to cover: make sure you download it and pay attention to what it says.

As you study, remember to congratulate yourself for what you get right - your brain is probably used to categorizing tests in the class of Really Bad Things, so you need to do some retraining. Chocolate works nicely - "oh, I got that question right, now I can have chocolate" - and whether you actually EAT the chocolate right then or just admire it is up to you (but for best results it should be there). If you think I'm treating you like a first grader, you're absolutely right, and it's about time you started treating yourself that kindly and gently too.

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2005

THANK YOU!!!!!!!:angel: Ill try your tips !!!!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 20, 2005

That's what they let me stay around here for, kiddo.

14. ohteach

ohteach Companion

Jan 12, 2006

Don't stress! It really isn't that bad. I have taken Praxis 1 and 2 and I passed with flyng colors. I was scared and stressed too but just remember to not stress yourself out too much. I am taking Praxis 3 so I should take my own advice. lol I HATE the idea of ONE person comming into my classroom and deciding if I am a good teacher or not. Good luck with your test! BY the way are you taking the computer based test or the paper pencil test?

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 16, 2006

Praxis I math is pretty comparable to CBEST math, by the way; if you rummage around the CBEST threads for suggestions on math, you're likely to find some stuff that's helpful. Not to mention people who will answer your questions.