Taking the PLUNGE

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Feb 12, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Feb 12, 2014

So I went ahead and contacted the human resources for my district and let them know I am interested in a transfer to middle (or secondary) social studies (or science). I just feel like I'm up against a wall teaching elementary math. Perhaps if it were middle math or I was teaching elementary in a subject that I am passionate about, it wouldn't feel like a wall. All I know is my former principal said I was a stronger teacher than most of her veteran teachers---that was when I was an intern! But that wasn't elementary, that was middle school--and in social studies and science, where I am passionate and a strong teacher. Subjects where I know the content inside, outside, upwards, downwards, and sideways and I instinctively know how to deliver the content. Elementary math has been work for me, and while effective, I'm not the caliber of what I am in a social studies (or science) classroom.

I feel like a failure, I keep telling myself that teachers thrive at certain levels, and there are teachers who are phenomenal elementary teachers, but God made me a middle school teacher. So many teachers run screaming away from middle schools, but I run at them screaming pick me, pick me!

In your experiences, is it NORMAL to feel more effective at one level than another? Or is it: no matter the grade level, the teacher should be able to adapt and be exceptional? I'm good at elementary, but it's not the exceptional standard I hold myself to.

So, I've appropriately checked the boxes on my intent form and filled out the transfer request. Tomorrow, I am speaking with my principal :)

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2014

Wishing you much success in middle school!

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 12, 2014

I'm certified in music, but I'm aware that I would not be a good music teacher. I'm also aware that I would not make a good kinder teacher.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 12, 2014

Also, I think it's great that you're doing this. It's important to know your own strengths. There's absolutely nothing wrong with realizing that you'd be a better teacher at a different grade. The problem would be if you realized that you'd be a better teacher at a different grade... but then did nothing to try to get where you belong.

6. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 12, 2014

Good luck. I loved teaching middle school.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2014

Good luck with everything!

I definitely think it is normal. I don't think I could effectively teach middle school, but I love teaching high school. It's all about the right fit. :)

8. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

Feb 14, 2014

I plan on making the move to Middle school from HS I think that it is right for me.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2014

Don't feel a bit of guilt. Of course it is normal to feel more comfortable in areas where you are completely at ease. You teach better there, too. I finally had to tell myself that I wouldn't take certain tutoring students because of the subjects in which I couldn't feel comfortable. Go for your preferred ages and subjects.