Taking over a class mid-year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by REW, Feb 12, 2020.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Feb 12, 2020

Any tips for taking over a class mid-year? The class I would be taking over has had a long term sub since coming back from winter break. From what I understand the kids haven’t missed a beat since the sub is a certified teacher.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2020

That will be a real positive for you.
    I wouldn't spend much time with ice breakers. I would introduce yourself, give them a few interesting facts about yourself, make it clear that you will be there to support them, and jump into curriculum.

Backroads likes this.
  4. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Feb 13, 2020

I would advise you may need to be intentional about building trust. They've had two adults leave and even though it has nothing to do with them, students sometimes think it does.

5. REW

REW Rookie

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:36 AM

This is where my concern is. I don’t care so much about ice breakers- that’s easy, but ensuring that the transition is smooth. The student are used to adults leaving/inconsistency. My goal is to establish that trust within the first few weeks or at least the building blocks for that trusting relationship.

I’m thinking consistency will be key. Just stick with current routines assuming they work. Not make any major changes and focus on relationships. The school does include a social emotional block in the mornings so I plan to utilize that to build trust and community.

6. REW

REW Rookie

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:37 AM

I hope that the long term sub and I can have some overlap since the students like and respect them.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:13 AM

I would try to find out as much as possible about the routines, favorite activities, and other procedures in the classroom. I don't think you can know too much. Keep the rules and routines as similar as possible at first. Also, do the same for the things the students value. There might be activities or routines that mean a lot to them, that cutting them the first day you take over the class could really create problems. It might be as simple as "Mrs. Jones always gave us a birthday pencil and sang happy birthday on our birthday." Keep those valued traditions.

Then feel free to add a new item in the classroom that you feel that would be beneficial, but keep in mind how the students might take to the idea. Each teacher has something uniquely special about them. Tread lightly, but your unique ideas are a great thing to add to the classroom.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:29 PM

If you and the sub can spend time together, it could be very beneficial. Building trust is important as you say. Also, set your boundaries. I'd repeat above: Make sure to keep routines that work for them and they like. Maybe build a new tradition that they like together. I never walked in a room 1/2 way through the yr, but 1 yr I got a class ( 34 kids) who changed grade levels, but not rooms. Boundaries were important to me because I like my own space.