Taking off your ring?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by leighbball, Aug 10, 2008.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

I rarely wear mine actually. That's a little surprising because I am somewhat of a traditionalist...well, then again I didn't have a wedding. Basically here's why I don't always wear my ring: My engagement ring is white gold, but before we got married it had turned somewhat "goldenish" on me, so we decided we should get platinum bands to prevent that. Now, the two rings don't match and I HATE mismatched jewelry. I never, ever wear the engagement ring (one day I'll get it set in platinum, but that will cost over 1K, so I'm in no rush). Then, when I DO wear my wedding band I constantly take it off to fiddle with it or just because it gets annoying, etc. During my student teaching I took it off, laid it on the desk, it mysteriously disappeared, and a girl later found it in the girl's' bathroom. I am sentimental so I don't want anything to happen to it. My husband, well, we always planned and assumed he'd wear his ring, but he doesn't either. When he first wore it, it drove him bonkers because he had never worn any jewelry in his life, besides wearing his class ring for a week or so in high school. Not only did it annoy him, which I understand, but it looks really...feminine...on him. He has fingers on the slender side, and a platinum band looks ridiculous. So, we are a very close, loving, beyond devoted couple...but no rings for us most of the time. If we had a little wild and crazy in us we'd gets some ring tats! :)

2. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 11, 2008

I have to take mine off to sleep. My fingers swell and the rings get soooooooo tight. Sometimes I just have to take them off in the evening because my fingers are bugging me. Oh, and I don't go swimming in them either. I'm afraid they will slip off then.

3. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Kerry Walsh--Olympic Beach Volleyball player lost her ring playing the other day. They had a crew of volunteers looking for it! Luckily it was found, and tonight she is wearing tape around it so it won't happen again. :)

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

Congrats on your engagement! :) I just got married this past May, enjoy the whole process...don't stress!
    I take my rings off when I shower, and sometimes when I go to the beach (I don't go in the water).

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

I saw that on NBC weazy...I'd be freaking out!

Thanks MissWull...now the planning begins! :)

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

I take it off to swim. Which is several times a week. I could leave it on, but I'm afraid I might lose it.

When I was in the Air Force reserves, we got majorly busted if we had any rings on when we worked around airplanes or cargo.

7. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Woo hoo...congrats leigh! I've had my ring for about two months now. I've taken it off twice...once to mix hamburger, and another time when I was slathering sunscreen on myself. Those first few weeks though, you couldn't have pried it off my finger for anything.

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 12, 2008

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 12, 2008

My dh just got a new job, and he can now wear his ring to work-I'm so happy about that! It gives me chills, even 9 1/2 years later, to see it on his finger.

His ring was my dad's, who died when I was 15.

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

I've also been informed that if ever I return home without my wedding ring, I had better be missing the finger as well.

11. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

I haven't taken mine off since it was put on 6 years ago.

Kelly :)

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

I always wear my wedding band, a simple yellow gold comfort band, but usually don't wear my engagement ring at home. I take it off when I change after getting home from work and always put it in my jewelry box. We are on a farm and have lots of outside chores in the afternoons. I don't want to be out planting trees with it on or trying to catch goats to vaccinate them. It is also a marquis shape and is pointy on each end, which has a tendency to catch on things (pantyhose!). I also have really long hair and it gets caught up in my hair when I am brushing it or fixing it for the day. I take off my other rings at home - mother's ring, college ring, etc.

13. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 12, 2008

On a daily basis I do not take my wedding or engament ring off. The only time I take my engament ring off is when we go camping.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 12, 2008

I take mine off to shower, and sleep. I scratch myself with it when I'm sleeping. I would also take if off when I'm cooking something if I don't put gloves on.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2008

My husband designed my ring. I love the design really. It has more value though than the diamonds. I feel those are a bit department store cloudy. When we go to look at replacing them, it cost more than just to buy a new ring yet I often can't bring myself to accept a new style because I like what he did and it has meaning. I love the idea of the spinner rings though! Not sure I want it to replace my wedding ring or not but I would love to play with one.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 12, 2008

So tonight at work (scooping ice cream) I went to put a new tub in the freezer or bring one out. I can't remember caught my diamond on the edge and my finger is all bruised and swollen. not sure I'm going to be wearing my ring for a while now. Dang it I just got it back yesterday!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2008

That's what you get for posting on yet another ring and wedding thread..focus on your teaching. :lol:

Just kidding

18. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I wear mine anytime I'm out of the house. I sleep, shower, swim, etc. with it if I'm not able to leave it at home. At home, though, I take it off to shower and sleep. It stays off until I'm leaving the next morning.

19. Carmen13

Carmen13 Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

I never wear it when I'm home.

20. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 13, 2008

The ONLY time I take mine off is to kneed dough or handle raw meat.

21. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

ROFL! I've never taken my ring off. Sometimes, my fingers get bloated (allergies) and I can't even wiggle it. They hurt so bad if my allergies act up, but I can't get the darn thing off for anything! Other than that, I wear it when mixing raw meat, scrubbing a filthy pan, taking a shower, etc. Tee hee! It need a good cleaning right now. :p