Taking off your ring?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by leighbball, Aug 10, 2008.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

So I just got engaged on Friday!!! I'm beyond excited...its been a long time coming:)

My df and I disagree on how I don't want to take my ring off. I mean, obviously if I am mixing raw meat and stuff, I wouldn't wear it. But otherwise I haven't taken it off since he put it on me.

So my question: do you ever take your ring off? To shower, sleep, etc?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2008

I take my wedding ring off at home. I'm too paranoid about it slipping off in the shower or during other daily activities, so it's easier for me to just take it off when I get home.

My husband does the same thing with his ring.

Congratulations on your engagement! :)

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 10, 2008

I only wear my wedding & engagement rings when I'm going out. Anytime I'm home, they're off. I also take them off when exercising because my hands swell. Same thing happens when I sleep.

Mine are off more than they're on.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 10, 2008

I take mine off to shower and that's about it. It's safer on my finger. (I'm a widow and still wear my rings all the time.)

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

My ring is nice and snug, so I'm not afraid of it falling off, but I think I might start taking it off to shower and maybe sleep.

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

I take mine off to shower or when I go swimming. Sometimes if I am cooking something really hands-on, I'll take it off then. I even wear mine to sleep.

8. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

I just got engaged in June and i only take mine off if I'm doing something messy, in the shower and the beach/pool. Otherwise, it stays on my finger... I lose stuff too easily to risk it.

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

I love your ring miss j:)

10. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I only take my hands off if I know I am going to get really gross, like mixing hamburger with my hands or something similar. I feel "naked" without them on. I have been wearing a ring on that finger for over ten years, which is before I was engaged. I used to wear a ring that my grandmother left me on that finger before I was engaged. It was the only finger it fit correctly on.

I am also too much of a clutz and too forgetful to take it off constantly. I would forget where I put it, or worse yet, my daughter would grab it and try to eat it (she's only one, and EVERYTHING goes in the mouth right now, which is normal).

Congratulations!!

11. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I take it off to hand it to the jeweler for cleaning and when I'm making meatloaf. (Oh...and for a few months when I was preggers with #1 b/c my hands were swelling and I was afraid they'd have to cut it off).

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 10, 2008

I only take it off to mix raw meat and when I am fixing my hair each morning (so I don't get hair gel in it). When I take it off to fix my hair I put it in a jewelry cleaner for the 10-15 minutes it takes to blow dry my hair.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! :D And thanks for the congratulations!!

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I wear mine almost all the time. I take them off when I'm swimming. Sometimes I take them off in the shower, but sometimes not.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I was given a beautiful 2 carot (sp) engagement/wedding ring set two weeks ago but due to certain circumstances, we have broken up yet he let me keep the rings. I really want to keep wearing the engagement ring and the bands later becuase they are gorgeous!!! Do you think it's wrong? I won't wear them on my left ring finger. I see other women with engagement looking rings on their other fingers. Is this ok to do?

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

Forgetfulness is the reason I don't take mine off either.

I'm the worst person to ask because out of 13 years I went about 5 years when I wasn't wearing it at all. It was literally put away. I was getting preggers, fat, losing, preggers, fat, losing and it was too much trouble to constantly resize it. Now it is a little loose but I still keep it on. I need to resize it half a size.

17. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I never take my rings off. :eek: I do wash my hands thoroughly, including around and under my rings, and use sanitizer, etc..so I have never felt worried about spreading germs.

18. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 10, 2008

I've had my ring for 20+ years. I rarely take it off. The reasons: pregnancy, rashes, swelling, meatloaf, and boxing. Yes boxing, you can't wear a ring under a boxing glove.

I have worn it so long I have an indentation in my finger. I don't know if it goes down to the bone ur just muscle.

I have had it sized once.

Make sure you take your rings on a regular basis to the jeweler to check the prongs on the stones. I know a few women who were heartbroken when they lost a diamond.

19. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

I only take my rings off when I shower, because the lotion I put on afterward gets into every nook and cranny of my rings.

I'm crossing my fingers that I can continue wearing them all throughout this pregnancy. It feels so weird to not have them on.

20. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Congratulations!!

When I was engaged, I barely ever took it off. Then one of the prong must have gotten caught on my comforter and the prong shifted. Luckily the diamond didn;t fall out.

Now that I am married, I tend to only wear my rings if I am out of the house. When I get home, I take them off to shower and then do not put them back on again until I leave.

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 11, 2008

The rings only come off when I'm coloring my hair (the engagement ring cuts through the gloves) or applying lotion (my wedding band is actually two band of thin titanium woven into eternity symbols, so everything gets caught in the holes).

22. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I never want to take my ring off!!! I only take it off when I'm getting ready in the morning for a few minutes, so I don't get hair gel in it, and when I'm cooking and need to mix something with my hands. I just got my ring inspected and the lady told me I need to send my ring in to get it fixed because the white gold is starting to wear off (not exactly what she said, but something along those lines.. she said it always happens to white gold).... :( So, now I have to be without my ring for 10 days! :eek: I don't want to give it up for 10 days, I'll go crazy!

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2008

Congrats leighb! I take mine off for messy cooking and when sleeping.

24. daiwa24

daiwa24 Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Congrats!! I take my engagement ring off to sleep and take showers, but since my wedding ring is a simple white gold band, I leave it on all of the time (except when cooking something messy).

25. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

My ring is feels safe and secure on my finger. I take it off only to clean it and have been married 3 years. It still looks nice. I wouldn't worry too much. CONGRATULATIONS! :party:

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2008

CONGRATS AGAIN leigh!! I only take my ring off to get it cleaned, other than that it stays on my finger.

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

Congrats!!! I only take mine off like most when I'm mixing with my hands or if I go swimming (just because my fingers are a little smaller than they were when we go married). I didn't have to take them off during pgs either!!! I wouldn't know what to do without them there. I worry more when they're not there like hmmmm where did I leave them again?!? (I know where they are, but I get panic stricken when I don't see them there!!)

I have a necklace I only take off when I swim because chlorine is not good for gold (or so I've been told). I've worn it for so many years if it's not there I feel like part of me is missing!!! I had to take it off for a wedding & I wore it as a bracelet instead, so it was still on me.... I know weird!!!

I figure in the shower or bath my rings get a little "cleaning" time!!! LOL!!!

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

If you aren't bothered by the meaning behind it, I say go for it! My great-aunt gave my mom her gorgeous antique engagement ring when she passed on, and I can't WAIT to wear it on my right hand. It doesn't fit my mom, so it sits in our safety box. I put it on every time I go home just to show her how great it looks on me....

I never take my rings off, except when I have to for a manicure. I'm always afraid I'm going to loose them. Oh, I took them off once when I was walking through a rough part of town, but usually I just turn my diamond around so it looks like a normal silver ring. My husband bought me a ring polisher from Sharper Image because he wants it to shine, but I don't care if it gets a bit scratched up-that just shows I've worn it for a long time. i think maybe guys are super protective of the rings because they paid all the money for them!! :woot:

29. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

hmm, had to stop to think where exactly my ring is..... oh, it's in the safe!! I like my ring but whether I wear it or not does not change the fact that I'm truly married and very happy. My mil picked out the ring and it's beautiful, but I didn't pick it. After 16 years of marriage, I found a ring that I love. It spins. You can check it out on Teufel.com. I wear that a lot but because it spins, I take it off when putting on lotion or cooking.

His ring, now that's another story. He would never wear it at work. He's a firefighter and he claimed that he could get it stuck in something and it would rip his finger off, or that in a fire it would get too hot and burn his hand. When I pointed out that other guys wore theirs, he wore his too. Then he gained a lot of weight and we had it resized. But he's gained even more and his ring won't fit anymore, so it sits in the safe with my wedding ring. He's sure that as soon as we resize it, he'll lose the weight.

We're celebrating 20 years next week!!!!:wub:

30. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I only wear my wedding band to work. I keep my engagement ring at home unless i'm going out and dressing up. I lost my engagement ring twice because it was too big! I got some ring guards but I'm still scared it will happen again. I take my band off when I go to sleep, shower, cook, or garden.

32. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

I know, I know, you take off your ring when mixing raw meat, etc., but I don't. Why? Because it would get lost or forgotten. I only take it off to be cleaned and it goes right back on...I am just way too forgetful. I know my grandmother never took hers off...it won't even come off now unless they cut it off....that's devotion, huh?

33. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

I never ever take it off. Really not for sentimental reasons but because I have no reason to take it off. I shower with it on, cook with it on, swim with it on , ski with it on, paint with it on. I clean it when needed and forget about it.

34. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

Don't worry about swimming with it on. I swim a lot, summer and winter,and have had it on for over 20 years and it still looks brand new!

35. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 11, 2008

I am not engaged or married , but I can speak for my mom she rarely takes hers off except for bed and the raw meat situation.

36. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Mine never comes off - I seem to lose things and it's one thing I just don't want to lose. When I first got it, I took it off for showers and things and my now husband used to laugh at me. He said I should leave it on or I'd lose it! I do take it off to get cleaned at the jewlers every so often - probably not as often as I should! My finger looks so funny when it's off - I have a dent and tan line on that finger!!! I'm not really "into" jewlrey, so it's about all I wear!

37. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 11, 2008

I never take mine off, unless I am traveling. Then I leave it at home and just wear a plain band. I don't wear much jewelry when traveling because I don't want to attract attention (mostly foreign country traveling).

It is just too easy to lose a beautiful, irreplaceable ring if you regularly take it off! Down the drain, etc. Keep a couple toothbrushes near the sink to scrub your ring down, on your finger, after dealing with raw meat. Scrub your hands, then take the toothbrush to the rings. I can't tell you how many women I know who have lost their rings because they regularly take them off!

38. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

My rings never come off. I took them off when I was pregnant and that was it. Going on 24 years this month!

39. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

I don't take my ring off........
    on orders from the Major's wife.......:D:D

40. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I'm surprised by how many people said they're afraid to take their rings off because they'll lose them. Doesn't anyone with jewelry have some type of box or case? My rings are always in one of two places . . . on my fingers or in my jewelry box.

41. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

Thanks for the correction Jem!!:whistle: