Taking off on test day? Help!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by historyteacher09, Feb 14, 2017.

1. historyteacher09

historyteacher09 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

I am a first year teacher who started in January at a great school and have a question! I teach 8th grade history!

I have been feeling pretty rough the past few days, I'm mentally and physically exausted and have been slowly getting sick over the course of the week. I am wondering, if it is totally horrible to take a sick day when the students are suppose to take a test? I have a test planned for Thursday and while I am going to tomorrow to review for the test, I am wondering if it is a horrible idea to have a sub on a test day?

Thank you in advance!

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 14, 2017

Can you delay the test for a day? Subs usually don't monitor as closely as I do. I only leave tests if I can't postpone them and I'm too sick to care. :)

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  4. historyteacher09

historyteacher09 Rookie

Feb 14, 2017

I've already move it back a day due to student unpreparedness/ more time to reinforce concepts! I couldn't move it back further! In my mind, test day would be easy for me to miss... since I would have to stress little and plan nothing... but I'm a first year so not sure if that is wise!! Haha, thanks for your advice!

5. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Feb 15, 2017

I teach 6-8 history and geography. I don't usually miss tests or what I call 'notes quizzes' (those usually have multiple choice, fill in, and short answer questions). I write my own notes quizzes and tests, so if students have a question or if I make a mistake, I feel that I need to be there. A sub will not know, even with the answer key. I also grade students binders on test day - before a test, they must write study questions about their notes and I grade those (plus generally how their binder is organized and if I can find information easily). I would have no problem missing for a vocab quiz, map quiz, or other matching quiz, but I would either put off my sick day or put off the test in your case.

6. Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo Comrade

Feb 15, 2017

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 15, 2017

I never give tests on days that I'm out, unless I know the sub VERY, very well. This has happened once in my career.

I make all of my tests and reuse them. Too many tests go missing in other teachers' classes on test day. I cannot afford the time to make up a new test because a sub let one slip out of the room.