Taking Notes

Discussion in 'General Education' started by silverspoon65, Sep 29, 2009.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2009

Does anyone have any strategies for helping kids take notes? For my last unit, they really didn't have a clue what to do. They really just copied everything off the overhead and when I moved to fast they got all whiny and complained because I wouldn't give them time to write my notes verbatim.

I need either a note taking method or maybe a worksheet or other strategy for them to do while taking notes to make it more meaningful to them. Any ideas?

3. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 29, 2009

Oh, how this issue has been an Achilles' heel of mine! I would love to hear insights on this one.

I have posted PowerPoint lectures in a server folder for the kids to access. I've posted them online. I've printed them out. Yet nothing really seems to work. Ugh.

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 29, 2009

I am in the same boat and I have 8th graders!

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

I photocopy notes with blanks where key words need to go - nothing makes sense without the key words and then I lecture. It works really well for kids in late Middle Years/Early High School.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2009

Look into interactive notebooks. I can't find the site where I was looking at them. Basically the left side of the notebook is a graphic organizer of some type that helps....well, organizer what is to be taught or what has been taught. The site I was looking at had the left side be an organizer created by students. I would think you'd have to teach various g.o.'s before letting them choose their own.

Or you could give the lecture and let them fill in the left side graphic organizer as you go, then they write summarizing statements on the right side based on the g.o.

(I WISH I could find the d... site. I just saw it last night again as I was cleaning up some resources under favorites. I know I was not foolish enough to delete it, even though I don't need it this year, so it's got to be a link under some other site.........) :( I hate it when that happens.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 29, 2009

My Marine Science teacher in HS would print out 2-3 slides per page in powerpoint and then have the comment lines on the side (so they could write down stuff she said about the material)

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2009

I have seniors, and it's the same story. I've tried modeling what I would write down from a slide, but they lack the ability to discern what's important. I think it's a maturity thing related to the development of the pre-frontal cortex. Unfortunately, there's no way I can make copies for my students, especially in the current economy - we've been encouraged to use our projectors and to have our kids use their own paper as much as possible.

9. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

Yeah, Mrs. K. I am super lucky - I can copy as much as I'd like!

10. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Sep 29, 2009

I remember in highschool during my art history lectures she always posted a list of vocab words or things she would be touching on. So that was a great jumping off point to keep my notes organized. Sometimes she would just give us a photocopy of the list if it was a lot of information...well there was always a lot of information! lol I guess you could call this bell work of sorts. When we got in the room we knew to write down what was on the board to get us started.

This really helped a lot of the kids that couldn't handle that much multi-tasking. I think I just got lucky as a student and taking notes came naturally to me while sitting in the dark, looking at slides and listening to the lecture! lol

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 29, 2009

My notes are on moodle. The kids are supposed to add to them using the edit and revise tool. But this helps with kids who are absent and/or have trouble copying.

12. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

I explicitly teach my students how to take notes. At the beginning of the year the actual note taking does not occur quickly. We stop our discussion and I have students in tables or with partners decide on the most important information we just discussed and write it down. We share out our ideas and why we made those choices. I share out what I as the teahcer would choose as the most important information and why. Then we start again. I do not write down my notes on the overhead until they have all written down theirs. Students are free to add my notes to theirs, but they know I will not slow down in order to let them. I do the same thing for notes from the reading their texts. Over time they get better at it and faster at it.

13. CANteach

CANteach Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

I agree - this has to be taught explicitly. So many people think it comes naturally. Ask a student (I teach elementary) to highlight the important things in a paragraph and it will come back completely or mostly coloured in. I have had lessons where I have taught highlighting and note taking. I find putting up a learning outcome for the lesson helps guide their note taking too.

14. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

Teaching note taking is so important. We are trying to explicitly teach note taking this year in my 7th grade history class. Today was the first note taking class and we told them exactly what to write down and provided them with a template to write on. We taught that abbreviations are helpful( President becomes Pres.) That seemed to help some. We also suggested that if we move on to the next slide( we were using a powerpoint) that they should look to the person next to them to copy from their paper if they finished. Once we gave them these strategies it actually made an immediate difference and the complaining and out bursts of " no not yet" from the students stopped. Hopefully we can move them to more independence as the year moves on but I don't think its fair to assume that note taking is a skill students come to class with.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 1, 2009

I have done the same. This works especially well when you have to teach notetaking in outline form.

16. love2learn07

love2learn07 Rookie

Oct 1, 2009

I really like the Cornell Notes format and plan to use it with my kids a lot this year.